Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vendor
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to post some recent results up form our TSM ELITE Plus in house development car.

When we first built the car we decided to try our hand at some intercooler development. We used bell cores and built a one off kit for our car. As we ran the car and turned it up we found that the intercooler while not horrible wasn't doing close to what we had hoped. It was a little worse than the AMS race intercoolers we have tested as well as the ETS race. Not mind blowingly worse but worse. Yes I'm a big boy and can admit when we screwed up lol!

So that said I have been wanting to change it out for the last few months in order to allow the car to make some more power. Turbos being pushed to the edge of their efficiency produces more heat at the turbo outlet / intercooler inlet that needs to be taken care of. So the in house car on our ELITES really is about as good of a test as you can get for an intercooler.

That all said I have to thank the guys at Extreme Turbo Systems for stepping up big in helping us with our program. The level of support and comradery
from those guys is simply awesome! They joined forces with us on the ELITE car and asked us to test out just how good their ETS Race Super intercooler was. Michael and the guys there are always willing to help or listen to input from top level shops in the industry. It is humility and willingness to support that will ultimately make better products for the community as a whole. So hats off to the guys at ETS for doing just that.

We just came off the FL2K event with our other intercooler 2 weeks ago and installed the ETS Super last week. The fit on the intercooler is awesome! The way it sits in the bumper area as well as how it supports the top of the bumper itself is very nice compared to some others we have installed. It comes in at 48lbs for the core only which is a little heavier than the Race only ones by 4-5lbs but that is obvious since the core thickness is massive!

So this past Sunday we took the car to Import Face Off in Montgomery for some testing. The temperatures were almost identical as they were in FL which was crazy but true. You can see on the graph below that the starting intake air temps were almost identical. I had a few issues with the launching on the car since we decided to completely try a new launch strategy that we had never tried. I know because of that I gave up some MPH, however even with that I was able to trap over 2mph faster with ZERO changes except the intercooler on this car.

Check out the data below you can see that through the pull the ETS Super manages the heat so much better than the other. I know you guys are thinking well how does that help me because it isn't even comparing it to an available intercooler on the market. I acknowledge that … just know that I have run these turbos on both ETS / AMS race and street on Cobb cars…while I don't have pretty overlay data for those I will tell you that the Super pulls at least 20 degrees out of the best of them. I have not tested the new BL or the Driven Innovations which I think are both good systems but this ETS Super is amazing!

In this case you can see almost a 63 degree difference at the top of a quarter mile pull.... that is MASSIVE! I was floored. honestly I thought that it would pull temps down maybe 20-30 degrees... Boy was I wrong! I can't even explain how impressed I am with this piece.

In closing here is my little sales plug, we are a full partner with ETS and stock lots of their parts. We have competitive pricing and are happy to help you with any expertise or purchases you may need. We support those who support us. Thanks guys! Feel free to ask questions, I'll answer what I can.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
So perhaps you can post the dimension of the baseline intercooler or more preferably the actual unit used. Also, in order to understand these results can you post the overlay of the ambient temperature?

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Cicio and Team,

Thank you for the kind words. It's always a pleasure working with one of the top GT-R shops in the country!

Thanks,

Michael

·
Vendor
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So perhaps you can post the dimension of the baseline intercooler or more preferably the actual unit used. Also, in order to understand these results can you post the overlay of the ambient temperature?
We don't have Ambient temperature logged but as I said it was extremely close. with a 63 degree difference in intake air temps at the top of the pull even if it was 10 degrees cooler outside which it wasn't.. it would still be super impressive.

As I said in the post the unit used was one we built. I even put in there the type of cores we used. As per the dimensions I can measure it but I'm not sure how that data would help anyone unless they were just trying to build their own intercooler.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
We don't have Ambient temperature logged but as I said it was extremely close. with a 63 degree difference in intake air temps at the top of the pull even if it was 10 degrees cooler outside which it wasn't.. it would still be super impressive.
Assuming comparable ambient temps the new core is definitely better, but hard to say if the new core is overall good or bad without more data. Ambient high on Sunday was 87F and the track may have been hotter, but temps reached ~130F, which is 43F over ambient. Not horrible, but not overly impressive either. FWIW, much better than most of the data I have seen for GTR cores available.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Somewhat surprised it's significantly better than the ETS Race. Isn't the super race the exact same dimensions except an extra 1" of width?

·
Vendor
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Somewhat surprised it's significantly better than the ETS Race. Isn't the super race the exact same dimensions except an extra 1" of width?
As far as I know yes sir. The ETS Race we tested was on a set of ELITE not ELITE Plus turbos so I have no direct direct comparison data to give you, however I know that on the ELITE intake air temps were in the 150-170 range depending on conditions.

·
Vendor
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm in the midst of collecting parts for my build next year. How does the ETS Super race compare to the AMS race intercooler?
In my experience the ETS Super out performs the AMS Race. The AMS Race I hear from AMS is due for an update however the Super out performs the current model.

If you compare ETS Race and AMS Race they are very similar in performance.

·
Registered
818 Posts
In my experience the ETS Super out performs the AMS Race. The AMS Race I hear from AMS is due for an update however the Super out performs the current model.

If you compare ETS Race and AMS Race they are very similar in performance.
Would have loved if someone would take the time to test the ETS Super Race, BL Super Race, Bushur BFIC and DI Race to give us a real prospective on how they stack against each other.

·
Vendor
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would have loved if someone would take the time to test the ETS Super Race, BL Super Race, Bushur BFIC and DI Race to give us a real prospective on how they stack against each other.
Yes sir that would be nice... I'm trying to help giving the information I have but I don't have access to all those intercoolers and hard to spend 20k on intercoolers for that kind of purpose you know?

All of the units you listed are nice, I believe the ETS and BL would be up front just from what I have seen of the others.. but I have little hard data on that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.