Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The previous owner of my car had a front camera installed and after about 5 years or so decided to trace the wires down since the camera has been damaged for a long time. Well, when I was removing the front fascia I found that all of the plastic clips/rivets that attach it to the frame underneath the front under-hood cover were missing and only the rear screws by the turn signal were re-installed. I went ahead and bought 30 new plastic rivets (they break as they get old so I like having extras as they are used everywhere) and 2 correct screws to replace the missing ones and the front bumper now fits more snug, has less flex, and lines up better. Honestly, the two screws towards the front of the turn signals are the only "difficult" part about removing/reinstalling the bumper and putting them back in was pretty easy. Everything else was super easy. I really can't stand lazy or otherwise careless work... When you take stuff apart on your car or other people's cars, please put it back together correctly.

Picture with my finger indicates where the missing screws were located on both sides (screws not yet put back in). Ignore the dirt on the fender.. Had masking tape there while I had the bumper off to protect the paint and it happened to rain when I temporarily moved it outside. Second picture circles where the missing plastic rivets go and all 6 of which that go across there were missing.

20210707_194428.jpg 20210707_194407 copy.jpg

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yeah to add to that - don't ever buy a wrapped car either. I have replaced probably 50 clips, screws, brackets and had to redo all the adhesive from various emblems and exterior pieces.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
You just need a shop that has done a bunch of them. Not one that is guessing how to remove pieces.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You just need a shop that has done a bunch of them. Not one that is guessing how to remove pieces.
That is what I am guessing happened with my car especially if the camera system was installed early on since it is a 2010.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
No doubt. It would always frustrate me when I would take a car in for some new audio upgrades and there would be some random screws and fasteners in the cupholder. You fools took it apart, so put it together the same way - there shouldn't be any "leftovers"!

·
Registered
62 Posts
People love to do crazy crap to these poor things - we pulled a large man's torso's worth of insane junk out of mine. There were LED lights wired like some like cats cradle from the lower parts of hell, a radar detector/deflector that never worked and drained the battery, etc. Having a builder who can asssemble one of these in their sleep helps, esp when you're in my situation and the body panels arent necessarily "factory" so they have to know where stuff used to go and understand how it was adapted by the body shop who made the changes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Found another one... And probably from the same camera install. I removed the gauge cluster to have the LEDs replaced and found a screw was missing after I took the cluster out. Looks like the missing screw was put in incorrectly and caused part of the glass to rub against the plastic. Come on man...That aim is just bad.

You can see in the first picture how the missing screw was installed completely wrong and where the glass was rubbing the trim. Last picture is a screw properly installed. Check it out:

20210720_004509.jpg 20210719_230826.jpg 20210719_230820.jpg 20210720_005449.jpg

·
I ❤️ Oil & Gas
5,538 Posts
^^^ :LOL:

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Yea, 1/10 on hitting the urinal dead-on ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts