Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Tiff is an exhibitionist driver, a rallycross driver. In one of the only two F1 races he enetered, he could not even qualify as he favored a driving style that cost him a lot of time. The GTR is exactly the type of car he does not like because it won't allow him to show his spectacular drifting skills. He is basically not interested in "traction" and good lap times, so the P car suits him best. Who cares, I certainly don't.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
wow, the 991 didn't have a bad showing, considering that it's down by so much. 2 seconds slower isn't bad at all. then again, the new 991 costs more than a GT-R. can't wait to see the new GT3 and TT.

·
Front Mount 2500 HP
3,696 Posts
I am almost positive if he kept it in R-R-R instead of R-R-OFF the time would have been faster then 1.20.1 - on another note I agree a little too much drifting - GTR isn't made to drift its made to annihilate corners.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
"inverted bathtub", ah ha, good one, havent heard that in a long while.
entertaining review. i thought he was pretty explicit about his subjective opinion. but also agree that all that sliding around isnt usually the way to optimal lap times and probably made the time gap smaller than it otherwise would be, esp since he admitted to being more comfortable sliding around in the "tub".

·
Registered
601 Posts
If you can drive better than the GT-R brain then turn VDC off...... I am leaving my on R mode at most. I think switching off the VDC might possibly result in a large unexpected bill from your local dealership.

·
Registered
880 Posts
This video is complete garbage and an example of Porsche spending top dollar to reclaim a dwindling sports car franchise. The GTR has pretty much screwed their entire line up of flagship roadcars down to the entry level 991. That being said Tiff did all he could to drive the GTR poorly and everything in his power to drive the 911 to its best. Even then on such a short track the 991 couldn't get the job done with it's massive tires, manual gearbox, and few hundred pound weight advantage. Tiff really shot his own reputation in the face.

·
Registered
133 Posts
This one is not too bad with Tiff in the Porsche and Plato in the GTR. Unsurprisingly, Tiff is in the Porsche Turbo S.

But you can see that Tiff does have issues in a race when he cannot drift around vs Plato...

Still a judgemental loss for the GTR ;(

·
Registered
690 Posts
This video is complete garbage and an example of Porsche spending top dollar to reclaim a dwindling sports car franchise. The GTR has pretty much screwed their entire line up of flagship roadcars down to the entry level 991. That being said Tiff did all he could to drive the GTR poorly and everything in his power to drive the 911 to its best. Even then on such a short track the 991 couldn't get the job done with it's massive tires, manual gearbox, and few hundred pound weight advantage. Tiff really shot his own reputation in the face.
You are quite sure Porsche's sports car franchise is dwindling? Their GTS models alone accounted for 4400 units of sales last year. Even with interest holding for the 991's recent release, Porsche's sports cars sales last year were in line with the previous year, at 32k units.
The Porsche's manual gearbox helps make it slower, not faster. One could also argue its engine is in the wrong place and while the GT-R does weigh more, that AWD hardware isn't just sitting around as ballast...

Regarding the drifting, that is just showboating for the viewing audience. In the article, Tiff says laps needed to be neat and tiny for the timed portion. If he were drifting that much, he wouldn't have gotten anywhere near those times. Consider his times with other times by Evo on this track (he's lapping right between the MP4-12C on its different tires, and 3.5s faster than the CBA GT-R).

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I'm not convinced he's the best to be getting those times, if you turn the stability control off, know how to take a corner without throwing the back end everywhere. Spinning isn't winning.

·
Registered
880 Posts
You are quite sure Porsche's sports car franchise is dwindling? Their GTS models alone accounted for 4400 units of sales last year. Even with interest holding for the 991's recent release, Porsche's sports cars sales last year were in line with the previous year, at 32k units.
The Porsche's manual gearbox helps make it slower, not faster. One could also argue its engine is in the wrong place and while the GT-R does weigh more, that AWD hardware isn't just sitting around as ballast...

Regarding the drifting, that is just showboating for the viewing audience. In the article, Tiff says laps needed to be neat and tiny for the timed portion. If he were drifting that much, he wouldn't have gotten anywhere near those times. Consider his times with other times by Evo on this track (he's lapping right between the MP4-12C on its different tires, and 3.5s faster than the CBA GT-R).
Ok son hold on before you get ahead of yourself. Talking up the Carerra GTS models, which finally offer the options that should have been standard on the base 997 since 2009-2010 and arguably since 2005, when the GTR has just plain demolished Porsche, has just proved that your argument about Porsche to be a load of crap. Their franchise is dwindling. They have to include much more into an overpriced and under performing platform which is what I originally stated. Nice try through.

Your inconsistent use of logic and plain aversion to reality is that oh well they made the unit count. That doesn't really address much. They made that quota having to go back on their ridiculous markup on an under engineered 997 LOL and give it something to maybe just catch a glimpse of the GTR's tailights. BTW the manual gearbox was an effort to save even more weight and give Tiff an advantage on gear selection. I'd love to see a PDK race haha.

So now you have changed the comparison to the MP4-12C? Dude just go away and learn about cars and engineering/mathematics.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.