Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
hyprpwrphtgrphy.com
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is probably the 15th thread you've seen of this. Nearly all the ones I've seen are "Will (insert mod here) void my warranty?" That is an easily searchable topic and not what I'm after.

What I'd like for others to post is examples of where they were granted or denied warrantied work on their cars with mods, more importantly a Cobb AP. It sounds like most dealers do a good job of trying to justify warranty work even with mods, provided that they aren't the root cause of the failure (damaged o2 sensor on cats from DP install is obviously on you, but saying "No" to solenoid problem when you only have a midpipe goes against this level of proof they must provide to deny).

Since the AP can technically impact anything as a root cause failure (Intake, engine, exhaust, tranny), the vagueness becomes even more vague when it comes down to the dealer and more importantly the black box data that Japan sees. Please restrain yourself from posting "You mod it, you bought it" type answers, it is not going to be an eye opener to me. My condom is already half way off in regards to paying for my own "mod impacted failures."

The biggest thing I'm curious about is the tranny. I know the Cobb tunes are safe an solid around 500 whp on the motor with basic bolt ons, but having an '09 and risking that GR6 denial is pretty much my only concern. It seems that most haven't hit a major wall getting Japan to back the known tranny failures on bone stock cars with a little fight, but I want to open up for more on point responses. I'm not asking if I should do (insert mod here), I'm more than capable of researching and deciding for myself. I'm just looking for examples.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm the one who thinks "gotta pay to play" but interested in personal stories of people who had warranty denied BECAUSE of mods. Hope there will be some good infos from people who had warranty claims

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
2009 GTR 26K miles....Cobb AP.....Tranny failure....fixed under warranty....I did not uninstall the Cobb and was upfront with my dealer and NNA about it....

·
hyprpwrphtgrphy.com
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2009 GTR 26K miles....Cobb AP.....Tranny failure....fixed under warranty....I did not uninstall the Cobb and was upfront with my dealer and NNA about it....
Thanks gilly. I think I did see you post that elsewhere and maybe DocNRock, not sure, posted something similar.

·
Happy in Hermosa
1,534 Posts
DocNRoc - dp, injectors, Cobb, other stuff - fully covered. He's busy these days, but when he returns, I'm sure he'll fill in the blanks.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Mine failed at about 12K miles (2010), had installed cobb at about 5-6K miles but only after 2 dealers had assured me the tranny was fine despite my complaints of it being "loose" and "clunky"., when it failed it was a fiasco (all 4 wheels locked up, stranded etc). Nissan denied warranty, only looked at blackbox and never touched the tranny. There position was simple, once you flash the ECU all warranties are voided (ie who cares if "we ...nissan" screwed up). I worked this all the way through regional as well as corporate but they stood firm. Ultimately had Shep rebuild tranny as I wanted to enjoy the car and it is a much better car now (did all the enhancements to make it what it should have been). Funny part when Shep fixed there were normal stock failures, circlips etc.

Have filed FTC claim and pending litigation with Nissan (long process), one of the items we will be asking for is disclosure of all GTR trannies that have been replaced and whether or not the ECU was flashed and if it was flashed was it replaced under warranty, bottom line we all know they are not being consistent and the failures just keep coming. This is no longer about the money but about the principle. The sad part is I just love my GTR and cannot imagine having any other car, if you have had a similiar experience with Nissan, PM me or respond. I am sure my attorney would be willing to look at your case also.

·
Registered
360 Posts
My reasoning seems to think that nissan would probably be more apt to deny a claim on a car that has also had the TCM flashed vs just the engine since that directly impacts the transmission directly. This is just speculation on my part.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Gilly did you have the Cobb 006 and had previously flashed the transmission software or just the ECU?
The ECU was the only thing flashed and yes 006....

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
My reasoning seems to think that nissan would probably be more apt to deny a claim on a car that has also had the TCM flashed vs just the engine since that directly impacts the transmission directly. This is just speculation on my part.
The specific denial for me came in the following language, your ecu was flashed (which my dealer knew) and your boost was adjusted. They never mentioned tcm or ecu. Any basic tune on an 005 or 006 will show an ecu flash and higher boost .

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
The specific denial for me came in the following language, your ecu was flashed (which my dealer knew) and your boost was adjusted. They never mentioned tcm or ecu. Any basic tune on an 005 or 006 will show an ecu flash and higher boost .
Yours is one of the few denials I have known. I never quite sorted why. Was the TCM flashed at the time of repair? Was the Cobb still "married" when you took it in? Was the flash you had used a custom or off the shelf tune?

Just wondering.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Yours is one of the few denials I have known. I never quite sorted why. Was the TCM flashed at the time of repair? Was the Cobb still "married" when you took it in? Was the flash you had used a custom or off the shelf tune?

Just wondering.

Shawn
Yes, shawn the TCM and ECU was flashed at the time of repair and the cobb was still married, I never tried to hide the modification and at the time simply had a midpipe and catback (heck I had Cobb stickers on the car). Tune was a custom tune from HP Logic, nothing exotic, just the basics and didn't even have downpipes (all the stuff I have today was installed after the transmission was rebuilt). The tranny didn't actually fail, I went in for an oil change and a couple rattles in the dash, and just told them to check the clunky noise which I had complained about before even prior to the cobb. This time they called me back mid day and said they needed to keep the car overnight and Nissan wanted to pull some data. Next day came back and told me that Nissan recommended that I replace the diff fluid which wasn't that old (as I did the 18 month service at 18 months even though the car only had a few thousand miles). They said however, the car had been "flashed" and Nissan said that it needed a new tranny, but were very vague as to why and never said not to drive the car as there were no codes, however if I wanted the tranny replaced it would not be covered due to "the flash and excessive boost".... I was making no more boost than a 2012 or any basic tune. I called Nissan NA and never raised my voice or got irritated (in fact the gal on the phone was very nice), worked through everybody I could, but they kept saying no. Never would they give me specifics or claim that they had any responsibility to prove anything or investigate anything. I asked about Mag Moss and all the standard discussions and still no response. I drove the car for about 500 miles did one track day as the new diff oil seemed to make it better, then the thing simply did a 4 wheel lock up (still no codes), left in a parking lot (thank God it was not on the street) and when I went to get towed the next morning it started ok, but at that point I was through with Nissan and sent to Shep, as the 4 wheel lockup was darn scary! When shep got the car, found out that the drive shaft bolts were loose enough to be able to hand unscrew, which told me they took the driveshaft off during their investigation but did not retighten. Bottom line, the car is now rock solid (thanks Shep) but I am thankful that I was not personally injured from all the mishaps with Nissan. As an aside I have no idea how long the blackbox pull takes.

PS I know it is asking a lot but if anyone can share or PM me info about a replaced tranny under warranty on a car that was flashed I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I think this is a good thread . I too have been on the forum a very long time and seen many GT-R's most of which usually get covered under warranty. I am curious to find out about the ones that did not. In fact, it is such a small amount that it is very hard to find them on the forum! I guess that is a good thing

Does anyone remember the car in Socal that had a cobb tune and supposedly saw white smoke while on the freeway? Had SP engineering (I think) tear it down and find out it was the motor after nissan denied warranty? I cant remember who on here that was or what the outcome was. It would be nice to keep this list going to see the support Nissan gives or the lack there of. I am worried that one day it will be my rods in my engine or the trans at a complete random time. Also, since most tuners seem to agree that 550-600 ftlbs torque bends the rods, whos motor had to find that out the hard way? I am wondering if it sensible now to do an affordable engine build with internals and basic transupgrade for longevity, before something explodes damages other things. If nissan has been pretty good about warranty, then maybe I will take my risks....

The other part of me just says get a 2013 and be done with it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'll be watching this thread with great interest. I'm itching to get the 006 but dare not take the risk for fear of Nissan walking away from my transmission if it were to fail. A $12k bill would not be pleasant!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'll be watching this thread with great interest. I'm itching to get the 006 but dare not take the risk for fear of Nissan walking away from my transmission if it were to fail. A $12k bill would not be pleasant!
Indeed I too am interested :D

I was told if I "unmarried" the car before a service I would be okay, but I dunno. I guess maybe it takes a lot of sucking up to the service manager to be okay with the mods you have or will have ^_^

·
hyprpwrphtgrphy.com
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds like the biggest thing is to get somebody to review the data in Japan that has common sense. Due to the inconsistencies we've seen (honoring it or not for the same given situations) it appears that the engineer who evaluates the black box data has the call. Common sense would say that an obvious common tranny issue that occurs on a bone stock car with 5,000 miles would be covered on a car with reasonable mods as long as the tranny hasn't been opened and tinkered with.

One of the things I can't understand and I haven't really seen it addressed is, similar to the launch control hoopla, there is this statement that, "All the motors are hand built so some cars might have more power than others." I would sure like to think the power train could handle +/- 10% power easily to solely accommodate for that notion.

·
Registered
701 Posts
If I had to take my GTR into the shop for work and unmarried the Cobb, not sure if the engine would run properly. Anyone uninstall the Cobb with custom tune and aftermarket upgrades and not have the car run properly?

·
hyprpwrphtgrphy.com
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If I had to take my GTR into the shop for work and unmarried the Cobb, not sure if the engine would run properly. Anyone uninstall the Cobb with custom tune and aftermarket upgrades and not have the car run properly?
It will run a bit funky (especially if you've got intakes). Once you tune or AP your car, the black box has it recorded and there is no way of getting it off the data log.

Please keep this thread on topic for examples of approved or denied warranty work. There are plenty of threads with people asking "will xxxxx void my warranty?" Please use the search feature to find those. Sorry to be a little blunt, but there is already some input from others regarding legal matters, so I'd like to keep this tidy.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts