Nissan GT-R Forum banner
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
240, I see the dowels on the timing cover side for the cam covers, my tuner has also just recommend to remove the dowels to allow the cam covers to sit more centered (allowing the seals to center the cam covers)
You're going to have some level of oil contamination because of the worn cam covers and cam gears, which I assume that surface is metal. You'll need to first make a decision if you want to pull the motor and have it cleaned out and inspected.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I have given that some thought already 240, and as I'm sure you know that's a whole can of worms in itself, just in potential upgrades on the "while it's out" list ...

·
Super Moderator
8,960 Posts
Any more info?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I have updated the engine builder of all the info and pics I have, I have asked for a response, but I suspect like all shops they are putting of the boring work until after Hail Mary this weekend. Chances are when I don't hear anything from them I will try to order parts wither end of this week or first of next week, I just feel like I have no way to verify if they are being reinstalled correctly, and its very expensive to find out the hard way.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Well yea, I agree on the filter, I thinkost of the wear occured before my ownership, I have been able to document at least 3 oil changed in the roughly 1800 miles that are on the motor before I got it, unfortunate the oil filter I have only had about 200 miles on the oil, and I put a new one on which only has about 6 miles. Both of them are clean.

·
Super Moderator
8,960 Posts
Well yea, I agree on the filter, I thinkost of the wear occured before my ownership, I have been able to document at least 3 oil changed in the roughly 1800 miles that are on the motor before I got it, unfortunate the oil filter I have only had about 200 miles on the oil, and I put a new one on which only has about 6 miles. Both of them are clean.
Is the seller willing to help you out with the situation?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
The post you saw elsewhere is about the level of help I'm going to get there I think.

I ordered the parts to do the timing components new vvt gears and new cam covers today.

Taking any suggestions on how I may be able to ensure proper alignment of the covers/stands. Right now I plan to remove the dowels from the front cover and attempt to let the stands get as close to center as possible.

I also noticed that the new "shop" seal (the white ones) didn't seem worn, however they did seem to wear a grove in the cam gears, how can I remedy that, those seals are suppose to be better but not if they are going to wear out cam gears constantly.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
The post you saw elsewhere is about the level of help I'm going to get there I think.

I ordered the parts to do the timing components new vvt gears and new cam covers today.

Taking any suggestions on how I may be able to ensure proper alignment of the covers/stands. Right now I plan to remove the dowels from the front cover and attempt to let the stands get as close to center as possible.

I also noticed that the new "shop" seal (the white ones) didn't seem worn, however they did seem to wear a grove in the cam gears, how can I remedy that, those seals are suppose to be better but not if they are going to wear out cam gears constantly.
Before you pull the dowels, I would test fit the cover by sliding it into the cam gear until right before the dowel engages the hole. This would hopefully give you a sense for whether the alignment is actually off.

·
Super Moderator
8,960 Posts

If you are doing new cam gears and new covers, why not just go with brand new oem cam seals for all 3 seals? :dunno:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I already have new seals, I was under the impression the white ones are supposed to be better than stock for built motors, I guess I'm just trying to confirm if I should get new of those or use the stock stuff

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Before you pull the dowels, I would test fit the cover by sliding it into the cam gear until right before the dowel engages the hole. This would hopefully give you a sense for whether the alignment is actually off.
I will certainly do that, my question is then. If it appears to be close (no physically touching) what else could cause the issue? I mean is it possible the other covers were installed that far off and still used the dowel?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I will certainly do that, my question is then. If it appears to be close (no physically touching) what else could cause the issue? I mean is it possible the other covers were installed that far off and still used the dowel?
I have no idea why it wore as if the seal was seeing a thrust load. I don't remember seeing the cam tower having any marks that would indicate it was wearing on the cam gear, which would be caused by a misalignment. I suspect you will find the alignment to be good, but one step at a time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Just wanted to give a current status update, the cam gears have arrived and I have started tear down to get them installed, struggling getting the ATI damper off with the motor still in the car, not a lot of room. No update from the engine builder (at this point I don't expect to hear back)

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
curious to see what you find regarding the alignment.
I did find some wear on what would be the top of the stands, but only where they seals were all mashed up, no the front or the back so I am onboard with your alignment theory, however still haven't come up with a cause for the damage.

Also the cam covers are shipping from Sweden so not sure when I'll actually get them, assuming I can get the crank pulley off and back on. Headed to the beach for the weekend so no progress until Monday.

I ordered a lift 4 weeks ago that was due in about 2 weeks and was told yesterday it will be another 8 weeks at this point .. not sure if I'll cancel and try to find something local at this point or not.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I did find some wear on what would be the top of the stands, but only where they seals were all mashed up, no the front or the back so I am onboard with your alignment theory, however still haven't come up with a cause for the damage.

Also the cam covers are shipping from Sweden so not sure when I'll actually get them, assuming I can get the crank pulley off and back on. Headed to the beach for the weekend so no progress until Monday.

I ordered a lift 4 weeks ago that was due in about 2 weeks and was told yesterday it will be another 8 weeks at this point .. not sure if I'll cancel and try to find something local at this point or not.
Depending on the lift you purchased, you may just be able to drive to the distribution center and pick it up yourself, which is what I did. Rented a Uhaul truck and trailer and then drove it several hours to the distribution center and they loaded the lift onto the trailer and I drove it home. Was a bit tricky getting it off the trailer, but with the help of a cherry picker and my 6'-3" 17yo son, we did it and also saved a few hundred dollars.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The ATI damper is going to be a bear to get off. It is a tight friction fit!

To get mine on I packed the crank threads with dry ice and heated the ATI damper, once the ice was evaporated the damper slid on without any drama.

Good Luck!

John-

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I wanted to drive and get the lift myself they have a warehouse about 3 hours away, actually near you in CLT. But they do t have any there .. actually closest one is in tx. Derek Weaver W10 pro is what I bought.

Thanks for the tip, did you just heat the center section, I was going to use a hot plate when I put it back on, but scared of the torch in there trying to take it off.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts