Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2,018 Posts
Went to the dragstrip for the first time with one of my gtr buddies tonight and boy were we in for a surprise.... Absolutely terrible prep and an extremely bumpy and uneven strip. We were both spinning like crazy (me on stock runflats, and him on 285/335 mpss).

The first run i left it in auto and it bogged as it shifted from first to second way too soon as a result of the wheel spin.
Second, third and forth run i shifted it manually but let it hit the limiter a few times to avoid the bog. Every time this happened the boost would drop from the normal 13-14 psi to 9.5-10 psi MAX for the rest of the run.

After the second time this happened I plugged my odb2 scanner in and used torque to see if the car had any codes. It said there were 2 "Pending Faults" P0101 and P010B.

I cleared it and went down the road to a nice empty long road and did 2 launches all the way up to 80-90 mph. The car hooked perfectly both times (on normal pavement) and hit full boost every time. Went back and did another run on the "prepped" strip and the same thing happened ....

Has anyone had this issue before / know what causes it? I found a thread where they said it may be dirty maf sensors, but that doesnt really make sense due to the fact that nothing has been touched in the engine bay for the past 2k miles if not more. Not to mention the fact that I have launched the car a few more times on the way home to see if it happens again, which it didnt.

Current mods to the car are MP,Catback,2.75" Intakes

Here's a video as well. Not sure if it helps or not.

Thanks,
Adrian!

· Founder/Admin
26,011 Posts
yeah thats terrible spinning not good for the car. the codes are MAF related. I know this is a long shot but did you spin so violently one of your intakes came loose? that could be almost like a intake leak that would trip the MAF maybe. if you didnt have the codes to report I would say any issue you had from that video would be like clutch overheat or something causing it to go into a failsafe mode. you launched with VDC on or off?

the 10psi boost is a protective mode the car goes in.. usually due to knock or bad octane but the MAF code makes sense to cause it

what ever happened that launch was super rough some wheel hop too? ive had to deal with a terrible no prep surface before but my car did the opposite it felt like it was leaving out of mud instead of hard spinning.

· Registered
2,018 Posts
yeah it was just a terrible experience for us all. I dont think any of us will be going back there again. Have you ever seen a dragstrip this rough before? Its a shame since the next closest strip is 3hours and a bit away each way.

After the second launch, I went and opened the hood to check to make sure everything was okay and even inspected the seals and everything looked perfect. Thankfully there was no wheel hop, just fishtailing. The clutch overheat light never came on to my surprise so im assuming all this was caused by the shitty dragstrip, which somehow triggered the maf code on every single occasion.

It just makes no sense to me that launching on the dragstrip would be so much worse than on the street. That coupled with the fact that I was able to launch on the street a few more times after I left the strip, without any issues....

· Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
forgot to mention that vdc was in r mode. Also tried playing around with the suspension settings, but that was once again to no avail.

Heres another video where suspension was set to conf

· Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a screenshot of what I was talking about. Its weird how it showed up as a "pending fault" which never triggered a CEL

· Registered
3,586 Posts
obviously it's bad prep as you did a few runs on another road and it was fine. Might want to try to lower RPM launch and leave it in R C R auto. also, if you have mods up your Clutch Capacities to +1 or +2.

· Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
obviously it's bad prep as you did a few runs on another road and it was fine. Might want to try to lower RPM launch and leave it in R C R auto. also, if you have mods up your Clutch Capacities to +1 or +2.
Thanks for the reply, yeah that's what I thought too but I'm really curious why the car had an issue with the maf and nothing else like clutch overheat or something like that. In auto mode it spun, shifted into second and then just died since it was in second at around 15-20 mph

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using GT-R Life mobile app

· Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't ever go there again. Looks like a death trap!!! You couldn't pay me to race there.
Absolutely a death trap! I'm sure none of us will he going back there!

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using GT-R Life mobile app

· Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
in the arctic which is why the surface is like this. We get 130+ degree temperature swings in a year which just destroys our roads.

In all seriousness its called Luskville dragway in Luskville QC, Canada. But I suspect the reason why the surface is in such bad shape is because of our weather and the fact that the owner doesnt want to have to repave it every season.

· Lake Bum
2,720 Posts
On a surface like that you have to learn how to pedal the car. All that axle hop is going to break your trans and or diff.

I've cut 1.69 60' on shitty surfaces that were similar but I had to pedal the car in first. Let out halfway and get back in it really fast. You'd be surprised how much it helps.

· Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On a surface like that you have to learn how to pedal the car. All that axle hop is going to break your trans and or diff.

I've cut 1.69 60' on shitty surfaces that were similar but I had to pedal the car in first. Let out halfway and get back in it really fast. You'd be surprised how much it helps.
I didnt get any wheel hop or anything just fishtailing an awd car lol. I did that in the second video but it didnt help at all :(. Not sure if you can tell from the video but there were mini potholes in the middle of the strip....

· Registered
2,018 Posts
Im still very curious as to why I got those MAF codes. Wondering if any tuners can chime in.

· Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bump, hoping a tuner can possibly chime in and help me figure out what happened

· Registered
470 Posts
The first run i left it in auto and it bogged as it shifted from first to second way too soon as a result of the wheel spin.
Second, third and forth run i shifted it manually but let it hit the limiter a few times to avoid the bog. Every time this happened the boost would drop from the normal 13-14 psi to 9.5-10 psi MAX for the rest of the run.
Id say its possible that by doing this it seen it as detonation and put it in limp mode for the rest of the run.

· Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Id say its possible that by doing this it seen it as detonation and put it in limp mode for the rest of the run.
yeah maybe... Its really annoying as I still dont know why it did this :/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.