Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
MAJJ
ALPHA 9
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Sorry to start a new thread, dint want to wake up old ones. I was previously on the verge of going from FBO to Alpha 9 or similar with a budget, but with that cost I prefer purchasing a Cobra replica that I've been looking for for that same price and then later on do the big GTR upgrades. For now I'm thinking of going e85 and need some advice with expectations and mods

My current FBO mods on 93
Catless downpipes
Catted midpipes
Exhaust
3'' intakes
Asnu 1100 injectors
Cobb v3-005

Questions

1) I daily the GTR, and I'm NEVER ever planing to sell it. Ive read in some topics that e85 can wear the engine in the long term, will going e85 damage the car in the long run? I don't track or drag.

2) All I would need are: Fuel pumps, Flex fuel kit, and a tune of course, Correct?

3) What additives do I need to clean fuel and injectors, and how often?

4) My mileage has dropped since FBO 93, I refill at around (180 miles) when driving in city. Will that be much less with e85?

5) just to be safe on stock motor and transmission, I should limit to 600whp/600wtq right? btw are those dyno or mustang numbers?

Thanks !!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I am in the same boat. FBO and debating E85/Pumps/Flex Fuel. All my local GT-R friends are on E85 and the only complaints they have is that the Gas milage is very poor but then again E85 prices are super cheap. I am also curious about the damages that may be caused in the long run but most of these GT-R's around here have been running it for a while now with no issues. My friend with his 2010 FBO/E85 GT-R made 600 WHP/605TQ on a AWD dyno btw. Another 2015 with same mods made around 625/600.

·
MAJJ
ALPHA 9
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think ill do that too, i feel its a better/easier step to jump from FBO 93 to e85 rather than going straight into a big build.. And cost as well.

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
You can make 580-600/600 +/- on a heartbreaker mustang dyno as FBO E85 and trap 135 at full weight.

You will need to up your clutch capacity as you will start slipping most likely.

You can daily a set up like this for 50k+ miles. Just remember don't load the engine in a high gear at low rpm and walk it up. Rods don't like the stress. Be in the right gear.

150-160 miles per tank is what I used to see

I'd guess you will pick up 40hp going to e85. Have to weigh the pro's and con's vs e85. I'd say you'll see consistent .5 second improvement in 1/4 and drop .5-.8 second 60-130. Just educated guesses but [email protected] and high 6's should be attainable with the right tune/tires/track/conditions, you know. Lol.

Maybe easier to just do a turbo swap and stay stock engine/trans and 93 and do 620-40/600 and call it a day.

I don't have problems with E85 since it's everywhere and I don't usually drive the car out of town anyways. But if I did I'd be on 93 imho.

·
Registered
361 Posts
E85 is good but you need to datalog on a regular basis imo. Fuel trims are rising with each tank of E85 you run. The fuel filters arent made for E85 so they get clogged.

I see two solutions for this, one is to modify your fuel pump basket with new E85 compatible pre and post filters, second is to buy Viscontis new billet pump assembly with servicable pre and post filter.

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
For what it's worth, I never data logged and had no issues for two seasons and car was very consistent.

·
MAJJ
ALPHA 9
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Droptopp, so you're saying clutch will definitely slip? Does that mean i have to take down transmission, send to shep to just upgrade clutch basket or superstock? Or can my tune shop do that if its simple?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Droptopp, so you're saying clutch will definitely slip? Does that mean i have to take down transmission, send to shep to just upgrade clutch basket or superstock? Or can my tune shop do that if its simple?
No, you can just up your clutch capacity on Ecutek, think you can do it on a Cobb device too? Not sure tho. Might need a NIS-006 for that.

I'm not saying that you definitely are going to have problems running E85, just that i wouldnt feel good driving around for longer periods of time without datalogging. I know people that was running FBO E85 for two years straight without any problems, when i told them to datalog they found high STFTs, IDC over 100% and of course some knock

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
You can increase clutch capacity on your cobb access port to resolve the clutch slip, no need to do any mechanical changes to the transmission at FBO E85.

·
R35 member
3,086 Posts
I've been running FBO e85 for about 10,000 miles now with great success. I don't have any issues at all but here's what I do to prevent that. I change my oil every 2000 miles and I change my filter every other oil change. I add Lucas ethanol treatment to every tank of ethanol I run and I try to run at least one tank of regular 93 unleaded through per month. That combination works great to keep your injectors and fuel system clean. Because of the added torque, I've had to up my clutch capacities, but only at the drag strip. On the street, you can keep them the same. Hope this helps

·
R35 member
3,086 Posts
Btw- it only takes about 10 minutes for me to change my oil and that includes jacking the car up. I have a 2014 which has a removable cover for the oil drain plug. I've heard older cars do not have this cover so it may take a little longer if you have an 09 or 10.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Im FBO and e85 flex fuel. I have heard constant e85 may cause stress long run, so i run 91 pretty often and swap e85 from time to time. Take care of your car and you shouldn't have an issue.

·
MAJJ
ALPHA 9
1,934 Posts
Ah that comforts me a lot! I have the cobb without the tcm... U think the tuner could up the clutch while tuning, instead of me having to upgrade to TCM?

Also, do i really need a billet pump?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Ah that comforts me a lot! I have the cobb without the tcm... U think the tuner could up the clutch while tuning, instead of me having to upgrade to TCM?
As far as I know that isn't something you can dial in the actual tune. The clutch capacity is a function/feature on the access port menu. Mine has the TCM so I am not sure if that is a feature on the non TCM access ports, if you don't see it on yours you will need to upgrade it. I would contact Cobb I am sure they have a upgrade program.

·
MAJJ
ALPHA 9
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So is all i need:

Visconti v2 flex fuel kit
Denso 265lph fuel pumps?
Clutch relearn with TCM

? Thanks guys

·
Registered
361 Posts

Also, do i really need a billet pump?
No u dont need it. But i know that the filters will degrade over time so i am going to get it as i plan to continue run e85

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
So is all i need:

Visconti v2 flex fuel kit
Denso 265lph fuel pumps?
Clutch relearn with TCM

? Thanks guys
Correct. Also adjust your clutch capacities first then do a clutch re-learn after.

·
gta88ws6
832 Posts
2015 Fbo e85 flex fuel Ben L tune here for 6500+mi now.

No issues, I have sent many logs to Ben to be reviewed as I'm super ocd about the littlest variance in knock or fuel trim or anything each one he says is totally fine.

I uped my CC to +2 and dialed backed the TP to -1, less rattle that way drives great.

I recommend either asnu or DW 65c fuel pumps, gotboost flex fuel kit and Ben Linney for a tune as he is super knowledgeable.

Talk to Ben 1st, b4 you buy anything...

Sent from my HTC6535LVW

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.