Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a 2018 GTR that has FBO 93 Tune. When I go to start it up for the first time of the day, it seems to be a little hesitant (mostly on cold starts). I have attached a video of one of the most recent starts. The weather here is about 75 Degrees Fahrenheit at the peak and ranges from anywhere between 58-75 degrees between morning and night.

I think it could possibly be the tune? But let me know what you guys think.

Thank you.

The mods list includes:
Full bolt on 93
/ Ecutek tuned
/ ID 1050 injectors
/ Gotboost intake
/ AMS downpipe
/ Titanium Armytrix full exhaust

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Normal. I have FBO and mine takes even longer than that lol.
Even on just 93 Octane? I have seen E85 starts take awhile. Also it's not even that cold out yet-I assume when it gets colder it'll take longer?

·
GuiTaR
426 Posts
You're fine. That doesn't take very long at all. E85 definitely takes longer...on cold start in cold temps, anyway. But yours seems perfectly reasonable to me. Worst case, log a cold start and send to your tuner to see if they think there could be a revision. This may incur a fee, though. You could also look at the log and see if the cranking RPM is above 125. From memory, I was told to recharge or replace battery if the cranking RPM was too low which, in turn, would make the car take slightly longer to fire.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Likely that your fuel line is dropping pressure after sitting for a while and I assume you have aftermarket pumps. You can request that your tuner increase the pump prime time from 1sec to 2sec. Try this, before starting the car when it is cold, turn the car to ACC with your foot off the brake pedal so it primes the pump for 1sec without starting the car. Immediately turn the car off and then back to ACC again so it primes the car for 1 sec again, and do this one more time and then immediately start the car. At this point the fuel line should be sufficiently primed and perhaps the car will start without delay.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Even on just 93 Octane? I have seen E85 starts take awhile. Also it's not even that cold out yet-I assume when it gets colder it'll take longer?
Yes even on pump that is normal. Quick even when compared to mine lol. I’ve had the car tuned with Cobb/local super car shop and now with Ecutek/Visconti and both the same slow starts. I run almost exclusively e85 (pump every so often to clean everything out) and have a brand new battery and my car takes a legit 3-5sec to start. I always turn on the ACC and never start it just off the bat; but I have also not tried the multi ACC on/off suggested above.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Likely that your fuel line is dropping pressure after sitting for a while and I assume you have aftermarket pumps. You can request that your tuner increase the pump prime time from 1sec to 2sec. Try this, before starting the car when it is cold, turn the car to ACC with your foot off the brake pedal so it primes the pump for 1sec without starting the car. Immediately turn the car off and then back to ACC again so it primes the car for 1 sec again, and do this one more time and then immediately start the car. At this point the fuel line should be sufficiently primed and perhaps the car will start without delay.
Yes even on pump that is normal. Quick even when compared to mine lol. I’ve had the car tuned with Cobb/local super car shop and now with Ecutek/Visconti and both the same slow starts. I run almost exclusively e85 (pump every so often to clean everything out) and have a brand new battery and my car takes a legit 3-5sec to start. I always turn on the ACC and never start it just off the bat; but I have also not tried the multi ACC on/off suggested above.
Yeah, I'll have to try the multi ACC on/off suggestion today. I'll record that and see how that goes. I'll keep both of you posted haha. I appreciate the feedback.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
That startup doesn't look too bad at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems the ACC start attempt didn't do anything different. I might have waited too long to start on the recording-so I might have to try again. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
It seems the ACC start attempt didn't do anything different. I might have waited too long to start on the recording-so I might have to try again. I appreciate the help.

I didn’t see any issues based on your video and even my gtr turns a few times prior to starting.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I didn’t see any issues based on your video and even my gtr turns a few times prior to starting.
Agreed. Mine is much slower to start than that. My cold start makes it seem like my started isn’t working enough or a dead battery lol. Battery is new, starter isn’t but 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Agreed. Mine is much slower to start than that. My cold start makes it seem like my started isn’t working enough or a dead battery lol. Battery is new, starter isn’t but 🤷‍♂️
Glad to hear this is a common issue with FBO starts. I appreciate the feedback

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Yep prime the pumps, on/off and should start right up even with E85 in non-cold weather.

Reactions: Lbashian
1 - 13 of 13 Posts