Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
MAJJ
ALPHA 9
1,934 Posts
From FBO (pump) to Alpha 9 (or similar)I've been thinking about this for a long time...I want more power. Other than the cost, I'm always afraid of damaging engine or transmission. I want to upgrade, and drive the car comfortably knowing that nothing is at risk.

Yes, Researched a lot and have mixed answers saying A9 w stock motor and trans, other recommend only trans or some just clutch etc... (I'm confused with transmission & driveline parts). Since I'm not planning to go for more power after A9, and I don't & won't track or drag. Only normal street driving and some accelerations and pulls; was hoping if anyone could help me answer my questions and give cost estimates/suggestions? Thanks!!

My current FBO mods:
-Alpha catless downpipes
-Cobb catted midpipe
-HKS Legamax
-3" intake
-1100cc Injectors ASNU
-AP v3
-557whp/584wtq, dynojet tuned by Kaizen

I'd like to go for the Alpha 9 turbos and probably mix match the other parts/brand less costly or whatever you guys think. The AMS package includes:
  1. Alpha 9 Billet wheel upgraded turbocharger ($8,000)
  2. Alpha Spec Wastegate Actuators
  3. Alpha Front Mount Intercooler Upgrade ($2,500) or cheaper alternative?
  4. Alpha Induction Kit with Tial Q Blow-off Valves ($2,250) or cheaper alternative?
  5. Alpha Fuel System Upgrade (what fuel system? I'm going to use pump not e85)
  6. Alpha Spec Upgraded Fuel Injectors (Do I need larger injectors? I have 1100)

What kind of transmission upgrades(Sheptrans 2/2.5) and extra internals (cams,pistons,rods,clutch) are necessary to support the build?

·
R.I.P. Paul Walker
7,534 Posts
I won't go into specifics on which transmission or what engine upgrades you should do. But you want to do the engine and trans 100% especially if you want to have the least amount of worry.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Knowledge is recession proof!
4,211 Posts
For the money, I'd looking into the HKS GT1000. It has all your billet needs and will support Power levels equivelant to the A10 packages. Not to mention, That the HKS kits are unparalleled when it comes to fit and finish. You can get them for the price you'd pay for the A9 kits.

·
MAJJ
ALPHA 9
1,934 Posts
For the money, I'd looking into the HKS GT1000. It has all your billet needs and will support Power levels equivelant to the A10 packages. Not to mention, That the HKS kits are unparalleled when it comes to fit and finish. You can get them for the price you'd pay for the A9 kits.
Excluding my current mods (exhausts,3intake...) what would be the remaining cost for the HKSGT1000? (still searching around..$10K??)

What kind of transmission upgrades and extra internals(motor) are necessary to support the build?

·
GTR
437 Posts
From FBO (pump) to Alpha 9 (or similar)I've been thinking about this for a long time...I want more power. Other than the cost, I'm always afraid of damaging engine or transmission. I want to upgrade, and drive the car comfortably knowing that nothing is at risk.

Yes, Researched a lot and have mixed answers saying A9 w stock motor and trans, other recommend only trans or some just clutch etc... (I'm confused with transmission & driveline parts). Since I'm not planning to go for more power after A9, and I don't & won't track or drag. Only normal street driving and some accelerations and pulls; was hoping if anyone could help me answer my questions and give cost estimates/suggestions? Thanks!!

My current FBO mods:
-Alpha catless downpipes
-Cobb catted midpipe
-HKS Legamax
-3" intake
-1100cc Injectors ASNU
-AP v3
-557whp/584wtq, dynojet tuned by Kaizen

I'd like to go for the Alpha 9 turbos and probably mix match the other parts/brand less costly or whatever you guys think. The AMS package includes:
  1. Alpha 9 Billet wheel upgraded turbocharger ($8,000)
  2. Alpha Spec Wastegate Actuators
  3. Alpha Front Mount Intercooler Upgrade ($2,500) or cheaper alternative?
  4. Alpha Induction Kit with Tial Q Blow-off Valves ($2,250) or cheaper alternative?
  5. Alpha Fuel System Upgrade (what fuel system? I'm going to use pump not e85)
  6. Alpha Spec Upgraded Fuel Injectors (Do I need larger injectors? I have 1100)
What kind of transmission upgrades(Sheptrans 2/2.5) and extra internals (cams,pistons,rods,clutch) are necessary to support the build?
For just 700whp, you could probably get away with stock IC and piping.
SBD intercooler core with piping kit for 2,500 would work if you wanted to upgrade
Or got boost intercooler piping kit for 1,000 if you do decide to upgrade just the piping or mix and match intercooler core.
You can get away with just denso or any drop in fuel pumps for pump gas on alpha 9's and maybe add a hardwire kit like visconti has
1100cc injectors will be enough for pump gas on alpha 9

On pump gas, you would not need to upgrade transmission if you kept tq in check with just 700whp. But if anything, a clutch is probably the only item that needs replacing at that power level if it starts slipping.

·
MAJJ
ALPHA 9
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On pump gas, you would not need to upgrade transmission if you kept tq in check with just 700whp. But if anything, a clutch is probably the only item that needs replacing at that power level if it starts slipping.
From what I was told the max is 600whp/600wtq on stock Transmission. So I would rather upgrade transmission to avoid any possible risk.

You think a superstock clutch would be enough ?

Thanks for the help : )

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Since no race/drag, I would just get clutch and baskets for the transmission. I have that now and have launched it at least 100 times at about same power level or higher (street tires). As for engine, just rods and pistons. No need for cams as that are for bigger turbos. The car will be a beast on the street.

Cheapest fuel system just get dual aeromotive pumps (drop ins), Asnu or Walbro pumps since you are not using E85. Not a fan of the AMS street cooler, I would go race. I have one of the biggest street cooler now and the temp. don't look that good on gtx3076 turbos (which isn't much bigger than AMS turbos). So I have to upgrade again to race IC.

·
MAJJ
ALPHA 9
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since no race/drag, I would just get clutch and baskets for the transmission. I have that now and have launched it at least 100 times at about same power level or higher (street tires). As for engine, just rods and pistons. No need for cams as that are for bigger turbos. The car will be a beast on the street.

Cheapest fuel system just get dual aeromotive pumps (drop ins), Asnu or Walbro pumps since you are not using E85. Not a fan of the AMS street cooler, I would go race. I have one of the biggest street cooler now and the temp. don't look that good on gtx3076 turbos (which isn't much bigger than AMS turbos). So I have to upgrade again to race IC.
Thanks goon,
what clutch part, superstock? And what basket, both a and b? Also cant seem to find where or who would do the rods and pistons at what cost. Thanks again!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I have Shep 7 plate and it slips at about 150 mph level trap speed(launching). Obvious 7 plate best drivability but I would go 8 plate just in case (GTC, Shep). I have both A and B, and circlips, they are cheap these days. Ivey has their engine program and near you. Down here I would go Fabshop or Sprayitracing. My engine was build by Sprayitracing and put in by Fabshop.

Best to find a shop that do the entire package for you.

Thanks goon,
what clutch part, superstock? And what basket, both a and b? Also cant seem to find where or who would do the rods and pistons at what cost. Thanks again!

·
Knowledge is recession proof!
4,211 Posts
Excluding my current mods (exhausts,3intake...) what would be the remaining cost for the HKSGT1000? (still searching around..$10K??)
What kind of transmission upgrades and extra internals(motor) are necessary to support the build?
The HKS GT1000 msrp is about what all the other GT30R based turbos go for (about $10K). The reason I pitched the idea about this HKS kit, is because the dealers have been offering it at a huge discount lately. You get the HKS GT1000 for about $8K. There are a few vendors on here that can match that price shipped. There is no other company that will offer that level of a discount at this point in time.

Since you are piecing together your power parts, the motor and trans build should not limit you. Meaning, you can shop wisely and have a good build at an affordable price, IF you do your homework. At the power you are looking for, I would do a Manley built short block and a Jacks drag 800 trans build. This mated to a HKS GT1000 would be a kick ass build. You'd run over the majority of what's on the road once you're dialed in.

·
MAJJ
ALPHA 9
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The HKS GT1000 msrp is about what all the other GT30R based turbos go for (about $10K). The reason I pitched the idea about this HKS kit, is because the dealers have been offering it at a huge discount lately. You get the HKS GT1000 for about $8K. There are a few vendors on here that can match that price shipped. There is no other company that will offer that level of a discount at this point in time.

Since you are piecing together your power parts, the motor and trans build should not limit you. Meaning, you can shop wisely and have a good build at an affordable price, IF you do your homework. At the power you are looking for, I would do a Manley built short block and a Jacks drag 800 trans build. This mated to a HKS GT1000 would be a kick ass build. You'd run over the majority of what's on the road once you're dialed in.
Thanks Monster! I agree, the HKS is a steal! I love it. But since the GTR is currently my only car and DD, going with the hks1000 requires gear sets, as goon said. And just watching videos, the gear whines seem annoying for a daily driven car.

Im trying to go the max, without having to add gearsets and being risk-free.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I wouldn't even do 1st since he doesn't track/drag. The probability of breaking gears 2-6 way higher than 1st. I know on E85 on MPSS 345/30/20, can easily spin in 2nd gear. With the turbo/engine upgrade, it will be a fun fun car.

Honest truth is can you stop at those level of mods or just a few more months before the itch?

He said he was going to run pump fuel (not race or ethanol). With that said he'd only need a 1st gear upgrade. (not all 6) and yes, I've mentioned the short block build already.

·
MAJJ
ALPHA 9
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
true.. you always want more. I forgot the feeling of stock vs FBO and now got used to it.. this is why I want to upgrade to next step but also enjoy it safely without risking any damage. I never launched my car after going FBO this is how scared I am to damage tranny. so this is why upgrading again is making it hard for me... I need to feel secured somehow without paying over crazy amounts

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.