Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 GTR Premium FBO e85 by Induction Performance
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

My name is Alex, and of course, live in Tampa. After owning my car for a little over a year, I am finally making my introduction post.

In April 2021, my girlfriend came up with the idea to go to Las Vegas for my birthday. Typically, this would have been an odd request as we travel to Vegas annually in January for a Trade Show, but COVID put a change to that for 2021. Having missed out on Vegas and its food and glory, I loved the idea. We booked the trip for the following month that very day.

Some weeks later, on my actual birthday, my girlfriend surprised me with a gift that changed everything for me. 7 laps at Dream Racing in a GTR. My All-Time favorite car. Who would have thought, she would remember the excitement I had each time I saw a GTR on the road. May came about, and it was track day. The excitement of opening up the GTR and sitting in one for the first time was unparalleled by most experiences in life. Then came the driving. I know I do not have to tell any of you, so I will just say, it sealed the deal.

As the trip ended, I started the hunt for a GTR. By June 10th, I had two options: 2016 with 31k miles clean report for $85k or a 2017 with 28k miles, minor accident for $98k. Found each on Cargurus and began the requests for both. The 2016 was in Illinois while the 2017 was in Miami. Got in touch with the dealership, they gave me a discount after some bargaining and haggling and I walked out the door with a 2017 Premium White with Red Interior, with APR wing and Swift lowering springs. Prior to pick up, the dealership told me the car was at Nissan for a full inspection and injector replacement. Anyway, drove down and picked up the GTR and the love of the vehicle continued. It was a dream driving home, I could not believe I had accomplished my goal! First plan was a midpipe and a tune with COBB. More on that later

After coming home, the following day while driving home, the CEL came on. There were quite a few codes, so I checked with my new COBB AP, and found there to be an issue with one of the o2 sensors. With my limited knowledge, I tried to check what could be the issue and my only thought was that the car had been modified before, but either the tune was not removed or the tune was but the downpipes were still in place. Boostlab is a shop near my work, so I asked them for advice. They immediately pointed me to Induction Performance. While waiting for my appointment to drop the car off, I saw a video online regarding changing tuning maps, so I gave it a try. Turns out, the car has 6 tuning maps and it has been locked with Ecutek. As such, I had the option to remove all tunes to go to stock, or build the car up.

Hence the journey to FBO. As Induction worked their magic, they found my second fuel pump was pretty damaged when installed, so I went brushless. Induction installed AMS Intakes, DPs and Midpipes, Injectors, Flex Kit, and gave me a tune. The car was now putting down 635whp and 627wtq. Great fun.

Eventually I also purchased an HKS Legamax and Tial Vent to Atmosphere BOVs. At this time, I was also getting ready to have the car wrapped, so I figured it was a good idea to fix the wing ends as one was cracked. APR sent them quickly and I mounted them.

I knew I wanted to get the car wrapped purple, but the type of purple was a challenge to select. I got it down to a gloss Midnight Purple similar to the R34, or Matte Midnight Purple from PWF. After some thought and votes from friends, family, Induction and Redline Design, I settled on Matte Midnight Purple. I dropped the car off just before Valentines Day and the journey began.

As Redline was able to remove the panels and prep the car for wrapping, they found that the headlight mounting brackets were broken, the front bumper had been patched up after the previous accident and the air dam was more or less glued in place. The wheel vents on the front fenders were hastily glued in place and needed to be broken off to repair. The rear bumper had a crack and some weather stripping was damaged. As a result, new parts were ordered and some paint. Eventually the car was complete and the wrap turned out stunning. Exceptionally happy with it!

The final piece of the build were wheels. Andrew P posted an add for some TE37 Ultra M Spec, so I placed my order and awaited for the arrival of the wheels and tires. Had mounting completed by Advance Performance in Tampa.

All in all, getting my R35 built to my desires was a year long journey with plenty of ups and downs. But the car is now the way I want it, for the time being, and will be enjoying it as much as I can. To this day, the car puts a smile on my face every single time I see it, drive it, or think of it. I am happy to have achieved my goal and am appreciating every moment.

Looking forward to all the years to come and getting to post more on the forums. Hopefully will be able to cruise around or meet some of you at events to come! As it stands now, the build is complete. Perhaps the future will bring me above the 1000whp/wtq mark, but only time will tell!

Pictures below
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Alberta Oil & Gas
6,138 Posts
Welcome, congrats and great intro!!

Happy Motoring…

·
Registered
50 Posts
Awesome man! I love the color!

Thanks for taking the time to give us the backstory, I always enjoy those.

Kudos for keeping with it and getting it that sweet spot where you can just enjoy it.

-Rich

·
Registered
2020 Bayside Blue
142 Posts
Welcome man. Cool Car.

·
Registered
2015 FBO Flex Fuel GT-R.
5 Posts
I absolutely loved the story man, extremely inspiring! I'm expecting to receive my 2015 FBO GT-R next week and that "what if there's underlining issues?" is creeping up on me, but to see that you stayed positive and strived through bad times, that speaks in large volumes man. That color is wicked! Congratulations!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Where about in tampa there is a pretty good group here in the tampa/orlando area. Let me know if your planning on going to FL2K i can introduce you to some of the local guys.

Congrats on the car

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I absolutely loved the story man, extremely inspiring! I'm expecting to receive my 2015 FBO GT-R next week and that "what if there's underlining issues?" is creeping up on me, but to see that you stayed positive and strived through bad times, that speaks in large volumes man. That color is wicked! Congratulations!
Thanks man. It was indeed a journey. It was definitely hard at times. The thought to just sell it and be done with it popped in mind a few times. But i couldn't bring myself to do it.

Instead i tried taking everything as a learning experience. I've gained alot of knowledge over the past year and though I do not drive the car hard at all, I still feel Almost one with it as though the car is an extension of me. This video best explains it.

Whatever experience and issues and positive the car will bring, have fun with it and just learn always

I hope the car is as perfect as you hope it is and that it brings a smile on your face each and every day the same way mine does for me

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where about in tampa there is a pretty good group here in the tampa/orlando area. Let me know if your planning on going to FL2K i can introduce you to some of the local guys.

Congrats on the car
I'm in the Temple Terrace area. Are you talking about the Central FL GTR club? I just joined it on Facebook after I saw a GTR at the Tampa Car Show with a sticker.

If not what group is it? I'm down to join and be a part of the community. I've been dying to do a meet and cruise.

I will be going to FL2k, what days are you going? Pm me your info so we can keep in touch before the event

1 - 12 of 12 Posts