Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard from a friend that there have been some concerns with the first gear upgrade from Dodson on some recent builds has anyone heard of these problems? Reason asking is that he had just had his trany upgraded with Dodson parts and had problems of the first gear poping off, apparently the gear was defective and after a lot of research found out this was his problem. He upgraded to ssp first gear and the problem went away. I'm concerned as I had just done my whole trany including the first gear with Dodson parts. He also told me that he was told that shepard was also changing the first gear from Dodson to ssp

Any imput would be appreciated

·
Super Moderator
3,449 Posts
I know for a fact that early dodson and ppg gears had issues. The latest revisions of both product are very good with zero hardware issues. It's possible that if your friend's build was recent that he may have used/received an early gear.

In terms of Dodson and SSP, I won't say much but do a search on nagtroc and you'll find out alot.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I believe you mean PPG not ssp

We have always used PPG and other than a few mismachined splines that they notified us of we have had no other quality issues. They have been made stronger due to design changes but it was not changed due to a defective design.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Should I go ahead and upgrade 1st gear to attempt to avoid my transmission from failing (I have an 09) or is this mostly limited to if I want to track my car? I was told 1st gear caused most of the problems for the year I have. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
1st gear was primarily a concern for those who performed many launches combined with wheel hop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.