Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this one in other GTR forum, It's really sad

[quote post='358416' date='Sep 26 2008, 06:33 AM']Here, in Moscow. My friend, who drive silver US GT-R. He has only 2000 miles on it.

Yesterday after some starts with 911 Turbo, he try to start, when "BOOM" from the rear of car. After that car start only in 2 gear, then shift 4 gear, and drive max. 34 km/h (20 mph), and big noise from rear.

He try to order new Gearbox, but its not in stock in USA and nobody knows when it will be where. JDM gearboxes have different electronic. And no official GT-R in Russia, no parts, no service. Cost of GB in USA 12.000$

That do you guys think, may be any advise for us, where we can take new gearbox?[/quote]

Here's some pics

·
Caretaker of GODZIRA!
2,679 Posts
Bummer he can't get a replacement, but I have to question how much abuse that tranny took before it let go.

·
Vendor
1,293 Posts
OMG THE TRANNY LET GO! OH THE PAIN! Come on. Go ask the vette guys how great the rear ends are in that car. I have seen a Z06 blow a hole through the rear end casting with 800 miles on it. Anything can blow up if you beat on it.

·
Formerly R35_395
1,073 Posts
OMG THE TRANNY LET GO! OH THE PAIN! Come on. Go ask the vette guys how great the rear ends are in that car. I have seen a Z06 blow a hole through the rear end casting with 800 miles on it. Anything can blow up if you beat on it.
Where did he claim to beat on it?
You don't know the facts..
You sir are a true prick, lets hope you are on the end of it someday so we can tell you to suck it up and stop whining..

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
You sir are a true prick, lets hope you are on the end of it someday so we can tell you to suck it up and stop whining..
settle down francis.

no one said he claimed to "beat on it". scott assumed it was "beat on" like most everyone else here. thats typically the way things work, if youre hard on something you up its chances of breakage.

·
Formerly R35_395
1,073 Posts
settle down francis.

no one said he claimed to "beat on it". scott assumed it was "beat on" like most everyone else here. thats typically the way things work, if youre hard on something you up its chances of breakage.
Assumptions lead to rumors Nancy.. We need facts.
I can confirm 4 cars(including mine) in Thailand out of about 30 in the country that have suffered gearbox failure, and none were '"beaten" on
I can also confirm another car having severe electrical issues and having the car replaced all together.
These are facts, not rumors circulating forums whipped up by teenage kids

Let's all face it,the gearbox is the weak link in the car and it has a long way to go before the car is perfected and reliable.
I see new issue's with the GT-R arising daily around the forums..
America has only just started getting aquainted with the GT-R and already i see some new issue's arising with the gas tank etc.

When was a "supercar" this fragile?

·
Vendor
1,293 Posts
And you sir are an ignoramus. Do you think that the a gear strips because he was sitting at idle? I am sick of hearing a lot of whining about the GTR's weak gear box. Do you know what everyone is scared? Its because its different. I killed multiple gear boxes in my STi. I never whined. You know why? Because I was man enough to admit that I was racing, and stripped 3rd gear 3 times on a down shift. Guess that has a weak gear box too. I mean I should just call up Subaru and tell them its there fault for not making a box that was up to circuit driving. But you know what? I don't subscribe to that. If you broke it, own up to it.

·
Formerly R35_395
1,073 Posts
And you sir are an ignoramus. Do you think that the a gear strips because he was sitting at idle? I am sick of hearing a lot of whining about the GTR's weak gear box. Do you know what everyone is scared? Its because its different. I killed multiple gear boxes in my STi. I never whined. You know why? Because I was man enough to admit that I was racing, and stripped 3rd gear 3 times on a down shift. Guess that has a weak gear box too. I mean I should just call up Subaru and tell them its there fault for not making a box that was up to circuit driving. But you know what? I don't subscribe to that. If you broke it, own up to it.
Obviously you need lessons in shifting..
I never raced my car, i live on a small island with small narrow streets, i did not beat on it..
If i raced it and it broke, i would not have even mentioned it, i can afford to replace it and would have without fuss.
I feel Nissan had over 4 years of testing to perfect this car but still serious issues arise.

I have had and do own more cars than you can imagine and i have never seen a car blow a box through normal driving.

I stand by my statement.

Have a good day

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Assumptions lead to rumors Nancy.. We need facts.
I can confirm 4 cars(including mine) in Thailand out of about 30 in the country that have suffered gearbox failure, and none were '"beaten" on
I can also confirm another car having severe electrical issues and having the car replaced all together.
These are facts, not rumors circulating forums whipped up by teenage kids

Let's all face it,the gearbox is the weak link in the car and it has a long way to go before the car is perfected and reliable.
I see new issue's with the GT-R arising daily around the forums..
America has only just started getting aquainted with the GT-R and already i see some new issue's arising with the gas tank etc.

When was a "supercar" this fragile?
I know a bunch of supercars that are fragile. If you want bulletproof, get a corrolla.

·
Vendor
1,293 Posts
Obviously you need lessons in shifting..
I never raced my car, i live on a small island with small narrow streets, i did not beat on it..
If i raced it and it broke, i would not have even mentioned it, i can afford to replace it and would have without fuss.
I feel Nissan had over 4 years of testing to perfect this car but still serious issues arise.

I have had and do own more cars than you can imagine and i have never seen a car blow a box through normal driving.

I stand by my statement.

Have a good day
Then we agree to disagree. And yes, I am a prick.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
I have the story on this, but the owner wants to keep it quiet. im sure he is a bit embarresed.

HOWEVER he really wants a replacement. he is in russia,

He try to order new Gearbox, but its not in stock in USA and nobody knows when it will be where. JDM gearboxes have different electronic. And no official GT-R in Russia, no parts, no service. Cost of GB in USA 12.000$
can anyone get him a new trans or mabe we can ship this somewhere to have someone fix it?

·
Vendor
1,293 Posts
I would ask him to see if he can get one out of one of the cracked up cars we see around here. That may be the shortest lead time.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I've beat on gear boxes hard (relatively speaking) on track for over ten years. I've never broken a gear or gearbox or burned out a clutch. I drive fast and I know how to shift. Anyone who breaks 3 gearboxes on track is either driving some very poorly designed machinery, has increased engine torque way above what the stock box can handle, or needs a trip to Jim Russell, as said. For example, I have doubled t power on an Integra type R with a turbo and driven it hard on track for 4 years and gearbox has stood up perfectly. stock clutch failed (not burned, just springs popped out), and I upgraded that.

If GT-R box is stripping gears and shifting is under computer control, then that is a serious OEM un-reliability issue. I know many guys with Corvettes have lunched their gearboxes on track ( and differentials, engines, etc), and that is why I never bought a Z06, although I almost did. But the GM unreliability issue kept me with Japanese cars. So I am concerned with the pictures of these stripped gears. Was it due to 200 launches and then it failed? Perhaps that would be normal due to abuse. I have never done launching to any of my cars, since I want to keep them reliable. More info is needed before drawing conclusions. I for one am not planning to track my car for the first year as I will adopt a wait and see attitude. If too many things break on the GT-R when used on track, I will just sell it and look for a used GT3 which is definitely up to the task for the track.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts