Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies in advance as I would imagine so many before me has asked a similar question.
Currently have an '05 M3 and want to upgrade.
Like the 2011 M3 a lot but now very much considering a 2010 or 2011 GTR with low mileage.
Have done quite a bit of research and have seen some unclear notes on reliability and cost of regular maintenance.

So...two questions.
Think this could be a regular commuter car for someone driving in and out of NYC?
What costs associated with regular maintenance are NOT covered by the warranty?
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
914 Posts
1.Yes. 2. Coming from a BMW with free scheduled maintance you will find that even oil changes will be shocking to you.I own 2 X5s and a 650 and i havent even paid for brakes on these cars as iam sure you are aware. You really need to go thru the posts in the service section of this forum to see if you are comfortable with expenses associated with upkeep of a supercar Good Luck and get a GTR

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
NYC and the pot holes =/= driving any low car plus most garages have nasty bumps in the entrances so youl scratch the crap out of your lip, really bad ones you would scratch you would bottom out, the GTR is long and low enough to really mess it on pot holes, and driveway entrances. I dont ever drive my gtr in the city

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All great questions.
Have lived outside NYC (Westchester) for over three years and have commuted down the West Side Highway with the M3 all that time.
That side of the city is fairly pot hole free.
So, won't really be driving IN NYC, rather TO NYC. Big difference.
I currently park in a 'stacking' lot. I am pretty sure the GTR's front lip would hit the tiny ramp on the car lift.
The lot said they'd be fine with parking the car on the ground, although I do have visions of Ferris Bueller's day off...

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I personally wouldn't drive my car to the city. The GTR can be very bumpy, and even small potholes make you feel like something broke. The lip sticks out and is fairly low, you need to angle the car for every raised entrance.

If your careful it shouldn't be too much of a problem. But I would feel better driving something less expensive and cheaper to fix every day. You can pick up a good, reliable daily driver for under 10k. It would mean another car on your insurance policy, but you usually get a nice discount for that. Nothing better than not having to worry about potholes, steep driveways, parking garages, door dings, or parking garage attendants beating on your car.

·
Pew Pew
659 Posts
The key here is NYC. Those taxi drivers are a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
If you are the type of person that treat a car as a commuting tool and don't care about damages from people dinging your car and having valet drive your car, then you will be fine. Otherwise, you would be silly to think it's ok to drive your GTR to NYC without damages.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I live and park my 08 cammed Corvette z06 in a NYC garage with park and lock service on the east side. I commute to westchester back and forth everyday regardless of weather. If you're not driving around the city you'll be fine. I typically have the same route each day and take the FDR to 87, I basically know the bad potholes in my commute so I try to stay clear.

I almost pulled the trigger last year on a 2012 gtr but was getting engaged so I waited. I'm still in the market for picking one up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.