Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently close to 9k miles on my 2015 GT-R and it has been driven street use only with occasional spirited driving. I keep hearing that an early change of the transmission and differential fluids is highly recommended. My questions is am I at the right mileage now to do the early change based on my driving habits? I know this question is difficult to answer so I would like someone who has looked at some actual hard data of oil analysis reports to chime in on this. Since this is an obviously an expensive service I just want to make sure I am doing it at the best time to get out all of the break in gunk.

I know dropping the transmission valve body is also recommended for the first change to clean off the magnets, solenoids, and filters but quite frankly I feel that is beyond my ability level. I'm sure I could do it with some good how to instructions but it still scares the crap out of me. Not to mention, would this service require Nissan's Consult to reset any of the codes that might be thrown doing this service? My car is completely stock. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Change fluids at 36k miles and just do what Nissan recommends. All these other recommendations are fine but Nissan is the only warranty it and their maintenance program have to be adequate otherwise they would be losing mine in the long run. Consider extended warranty last 100k miles the maintenance should be good for it IMHO.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Change fluids at 36k miles and just do what Nissan recommends. All these other recommendations are fine but Nissan is the only warranty it and their maintenance program have to be adequate otherwise they would be losing mine in the long run. Consider extended warranty last 100k miles the maintenance should be good for it IMHO.
Thanks for your comment and I understand what your saying but I plan on keeping the car well past its warranty and want to do the right things in the early years to ensure long term reliability. Nissan's recommendations are good to get it through the first five years but I'm more concerned with after that. Not interested in the 100k warranty as I don't drive the car hard enough to warrant it and believe it would be a waste of money. I feel proper preventive maintenance in the early years is better than just getting an extended warranty.

On a different note, where can I get some OEM differential fluid at a decent price? It's sold out at the NISMO shop. Need three liters.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'm on the same boat @ 7k miles. I do some occasional tracking but kept my temps below the immediate tranny fluid change range. Planning to changing the fluid @ 18k miles (Half of the recommended 36k range) at the Nissan dealer with OEM fluid just to keep track of the maintenance record. After the first change, I'll probably extend to every 20k+ miles and have it done at a independent shop with OEM fluid until my warranty expires. It won't hurt to change the fluid way earlier but I think that is a waste of $$$.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now I'm looking more towards doing the front/rear differential fluid first and do the transmission later on around 18k. I was able to get the OEM Motul 2189E fluid for $72.00 a bottle. Apparently that's not a bad price.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can anyone confirm that the Harbor Freight 2 Ton Low Profile/Long Reach jack will reach the front middle jack point fine when lifted a little from the front side jack point (two jack left method) so I can get it onto my Reverse Logic jack stands? I'm almost positive it will with no issues but just wanted to be sure before I purchase it. Here is the link to the jack I'm talking about: http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-low-profilelong-reach-steel-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-68050.html

Thanks again!

·
Registered
921 Posts
Can anyone confirm that the Harbor Freight 2 Ton Low Profile/Long Reach jack will reach the front middle jack point fine when lifted a little from the front side jack point (two jack left method) so I can get it onto my Reverse Logic jack stands? I'm almost positive it will with no issues but just wanted to be sure before I purchase it. Here is the link to the jack I'm talking about: http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-low-profilelong-reach-steel-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-68050.html

Thanks again!
Yes it will. I roll onto 2x4s just to give some more clearance but once just up a little it will. Works perfectly. And a great price when they have it on sale. It's heavy but that's the only downside. I use it all the time on both my cars.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
ONE early change for transmission and differentials is recommended by the "service and maintenance" veterans due to the amount of "schmutzpa" that has been found on the magnets in the transmission and differentials for those of us who DIY.

This was derived from Nissan's service manual suggestions that the fluids are very temp sensitive - the CBA's came with an 18,000 mile recommendation for the trans, and that was if they NEVER reached the higher temps, and the fluid has not changed since that time. The recommendations were MUCH more frequent if the temps were getting high (you can read your service manual)

Those who drive the car more "spirited" than you who have overheated the transmission and diffs, and not been good with frequent changes have paid the price (myself included).

The dropping of the valve body, cleaning of the magnets, etc. is probably WAY overkill for what you are doing.

So, ONE early change to remove excess wear from the magnets on the diffs, and get as much out of the tranny as possible for long term life. The 18,000 for the transmission sounds adequate, and now for the differentials.

As far as Nissan is concerned, they have very little motivation to ensure that the transmission lasts more than 100,000 miles. Anywhere near that is accepted in a car of this performance and cost level.

Shawn

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes it will. I roll onto 2x4s just to give some more clearance but once just up a little it will. Works perfectly. And a great price when they have it on sale. It's heavy but that's the only downside. I use it all the time on both my cars.
Cool thanks! I just picked up the jack from Harbor Freight. Assembly was super easy and while I was messing with it I noticed that it will actually reach the rear middle jack point with no pre lifting of the car required! The entire jack had to be scooted up under the car but I was still able to give it some pumps so that the cradle would start rising! This thing is awesome!

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
ONE early change for transmission and differentials is recommended by the "service and maintenance" veterans due to the amount of "schmutzpa" that has been found on the magnets in the transmission and differentials for those of us who DIY.

This was derived from Nissan's service manual suggestions that the fluids are very temp sensitive - the CBA's came with an 18,000 mile recommendation for the trans, and that was if they NEVER reached the higher temps, and the fluid has not changed since that time. The recommendations were MUCH more frequent if the temps were getting high (you can read your service manual)

Those who drive the car more "spirited" than you who have overheated the transmission and diffs, and not been good with frequent changes have paid the price (myself included).

The dropping of the valve body, cleaning of the magnets, etc. is probably WAY overkill for what you are doing.

So, ONE early change to remove excess wear from the magnets on the diffs, and get as much out of the tranny as possible for long term life. The 18,000 for the transmission sounds adequate, and now for the differentials.

As far as Nissan is concerned, they have very little motivation to ensure that the transmission lasts more than 100,000 miles. Anywhere near that is accepted in a car of this performance and cost level.

Shawn
Awesome thanks for the response Shawn! I will be doing both diffs hear soon once I receive all of the items I ordered from Reverse Logic. I can't wait to finally be able to work on my car from my house and not have to use someone's lift.

On a different but similar note, I noticed when looking in the GT-R work shop manual that it shows a few bolts from the front diffuser that need to be replaced each time they are removed (the X symbol inside a circle). I tried looking the part numbers up on the Nissan owners portal and they don't show up on their diagram but are clearly shown in the workshop manual. Do you know of these bolts and is replacing each time really necessary? They are the bolts that connect in the middle areas of the front diffuser and heat shield when getting to the transmission. If they do really need replacing are they the same 10mm bolts as the rest or are they some special bolt? Thanks.

It's the highlighted bolts in the pic here:

Map World Schematic Font Parallel

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
you do not have to replace them every time if you are careful removing them and take your time putting them back on using your fingers till its time to torque them down. At least that is what I was told by our GTR tech.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Can anyone confirm that the Harbor Freight 2 Ton Low Profile/Long Reach jack will reach the front middle jack point fine when lifted a little from the front side jack point (two jack left method) so I can get it onto my Reverse Logic jack stands? I'm almost positive it will with no issues but just wanted to be sure before I purchase it. Here is the link to the jack I'm talking about: http://www.harborfre...pump-68050.html

Thanks again!
Its a great jack. Ive used it for all my cars. Like stated before- use boards or Ive used Race logics parking ramps to lift the bottom enough to get the jack underneath. Id suggest you get use the center point to get it up and then use Race Logics specially designed jack stands with the posts that fit in the side skirt pockets.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its a great jack. Ive used it for all my cars. Like stated before- use boards or Ive used Race logics parking ramps to lift the bottom enough to get the jack underneath. Id suggest you get use the center point to get it up and then use Race Logics specially designed jack stands with the posts that fit in the side skirt pockets.
Yeah I got the ESCO short style jack stands with special posts on order and should arrive soon from Reverse Logic. I can't wait to get her up in the air! In regards to getting the front up in the air I'm just going to use my smaller low profile jack with the GT-R jack pad adapter to lift the front side so that I can access the front middle jack point. Hopefully it will work out fine.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I was just under mine last week adding a quart of tranny fluid using my Quickjack 5000xl. Not too bad as far as access for the tranny and diff fluids. The heat shield can be a little pain to access the tranny filler plug if u have a 3.5 or 4" after market system.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was just under mine last week adding a quart of tranny fluid using my Quickjack 5000xl. Not too bad as far as access for the tranny and diff fluids. The heat shield can be a little pain to access the tranny filler plug if u have a 3.5 or 4" after market system.
Yeah I can't wait to tinker around underneath to really learn the car. I'm curious how much is involved with removing the diffuser and heat shield to get to the transmission. I'm not modded so it should be easy. Up until this point I have only done oil changes on the car. The next oil change I have coming up I'm going to send off a sample to Blackstone Laboratories since I am stretching the interval on this one to around the Nissan recommended 6k mile interval (previous intervals have been 2k then 3k to get the break in wear out). I don't track and just occasional spirited driving. I'm very curious to see what the results will be. If they are positive then I will continue with the Nissan recommended interval. My guess is it will be good as the Mobil 1 factory oil supposedly can safely go longer than 6k miles on the GT-R. I would never stretch it past that of course due to warranty.

·
Registered
312 Posts
It's not hard at all. Only thing is to be super gentle and careful because it's so easy to strip those bolt holes. If u have a second set of hands holding the diffuser at the removal and starting point, it tremendously helps. It's surprisingly heavy and hence the stripped screw holes if u don't have somebody holding it in place.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm thanks for the advice! Wasn't aware of that. I'll have my son to help me with it when I remove it. Come to think of it, I didn't need to worry about holding anything while unscrewing the front under cover during oil change as it's held in place by the engine under cover until it's slid out. The diffuser is straight held by bolts so I can see that could be an issue. I wonder how many so called "GT-R Techs" have stripped out those holes during removal lol! Sometimes I wonder about mine as he thought the GT-R transmission fluid intervals were still 18k and the Dunlop all season RFTs weren't OEM!

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went ahead and decided to just do the transmission fluid as well since I am already going to be doing the rear diff. I got the transmission fluid off eBay for 48 a bottle and free shipping. Not going to drop the valve body but will remove the oil pan so I can get the gunk out and clean the magnet. I'll post pics if anyone is curious how it looks only street driven with occasional spirited driving. I'm very curious myself.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Ah man, I love that jack. I got that jack a few years ago when I had my last GTR. I basically shook my head when I got it thinking "why didn't I buy this thing a long time ago" with all my cars being so low.

My car is basically lowered 3" and I'm able to reach the rear jack point by just driving onto a 2x8 I have. It might even fit without the board, never tried though.

Here it is lifted maybe 90% max height and my wheels were 12"-13" off the ground. I was testing to see if the Race Ramps (RR-WC-12) 12" Wheel Cribs would work.

1 - 20 of 335 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.