Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
traditional "whichever comes first" schedule

http://www.nissangtrchicago.com/PDF/2009_GTR_Scheduled_Maintenance.pdf

replace every 18 months - no matter what on those fluids on that schedule.

I agree with you, that lightly used, they will last longer than that, but the 2009's come with a 60 month/60,000 mile powertrain warranty, that some people might want to keep.

Shawn
That was my point Shawn. Given how Nissan will refuse any warranty repair on this halo car if they think they can get away with it, I for one would never give them an advantage by not changing fluids via the required schedule unless I couldn't give a damn about the warranty.
Bish

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
That was my point Shawn. Given how Nissan will refuse any warranty repair on this halo car if they think they can get away with it, I for one would never give them an advantage by not changing fluids via the required schedule unless I couldn't give a damn about the warranty.
Bish
+100000, but my warranty is probably in the trashcan by now. Cobb, differential cooler, aftermarket fluid, aftermarket brakes, lots of high temp usage. Yep. Pretty sure mine's gone, but this fellow may want to keep his.

Shawn

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you look closely at the maintenance schedule you'll see at the bottom "[ ]: Performed based on the mileage only". Transmission and differential oil are based on mileage only as stated in the manual.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
If you look closely at the maintenance schedule you'll see at the bottom "[ ]: Performed based on the mileage only". Transmission and differential oil are based on mileage only as stated in the manual.
I think we all agree that is right, but the way they put it in the manual is weird. Likely a translation.

My idea always centers around doing the FIRST change early, due to break in wear. Then every 18,000 miles. That should be fine.

Shawn

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
wouldn't it be cheaper to buy some mainlube and add your own boron nitride? It's not like it would harm the GR6, if the clutches slip, then adjust your concoction
I guess that one is for me.

This answer is not yet known. The gearset would be fine with probably 75W-90 gear lube of any kind, or maybe even generic ATF (if not tracked or no high temps). But, the clutches require a certain amount of "traction". The OEM fluid does it with the additive package, the WillAll is likely Mainlube gear oil (very very high quality, of note) and a tack agent (unknown). Victory Spec has something added to it that's insoluble, maybe boron nitride, but maybe a polymer with boron nitride impregnation.

A good question, but nobody is willing to risk an $12,000 transmission to a complete guess of where to start.

I have a collegiate degree in Chemistry with Instrumental Analysis as a background to work with, and I'm unwilling to gamble without a running test bed that Nissan, WillAll, and Dodson have.

Shawn

·
Registered
154 Posts
I guess that one is for me.

This answer is not yet known. The gearset would be fine with probably 75W-90 gear lube of any kind, or maybe even generic ATF (if not tracked or no high temps). But, the clutches require a certain amount of "traction". The OEM fluid does it with the additive package, the WillAll is likely Mainlube gear oil (very very high quality, of note) and a tack agent (unknown). Victory Spec has something added to it that's insoluble, maybe boron nitride, but maybe a polymer with boron nitride impregnation.

A good question, but nobody is willing to risk an $12,000 transmission to a complete guess of where to start.

I have a collegiate degree in Chemistry with Instrumental Analysis as a background to work with, and I'm unwilling to gamble without a running test bed that Nissan, WillAll, and Dodson have.

Shawn
I understand, but I'm not sure how using the mainlube and those chemical ingredients would ruin the GR-6 gears, seals or clutches. I mean, if the clutches start slipping, flush the system and adjust the concoction. The GR-6 has already shown to work with many different variations of T-fluid from WillAll & Pentosin. WillAll is betting and hoping that nobody will figure it out.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I understand, but I'm not sure how using the mainlube and those chemical ingredients would ruin the GR-6 gears, seals or clutches. I mean, if the clutches start slipping, flush the system and adjust the concoction. The GR-6 has already shown to work with many different variations of T-fluid from WillAll & Pentosin. WillAll is betting and hoping that nobody will figure it out.
I'll admit, you're PROBABLY right, but Nissan suggested some off the wall concoction of fluid for SOME reason (that we may never know). The WillAll and OEM are well proven, and Pentosin is getting the info. Dodson is very likely fine, but nobody has done an analysis yet.

Mainlube with the friction modifier added from the Mainlube factory would fit the bill, but getting the supply channel set up might be cumbersome.

While I have been a WillAll critic frequently, maybe they deserve a LITTLE reward by finding all the stuff for us?

Shawn

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Thanks for all the help. I think I will have both diffs and transmission fluid changed in the spring.

What do you think the cost would be using Nissan fluids at my GT-R dealer?
Ballpark and they don't know you from Adam, $1200-$1400.

Bring your own fluids from one of our sponsors, make friends and don't be a dick, $700 parts, $200-$300 labor.

Shawn

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.