Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do if you get a flat? I'm making the swap myself and realized that I don't currently have a solution to that problem that doesn't involve a flat bed, so I figured I should ask. Thanks!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Slime in a can under the passenger floor board and a small electric air pump.

·
Registered
386 Posts

·
stemal
251 Posts
pump + AAA card!

·
Registered
569 Posts
i have a spare in my beater, but I carry a tire plug kit. Its actually easier to find the nail/screw, put in a plug, and air it back up than having to change the spare. I don't see why this method wouldn't work on a GTR as well

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
I've only put about 60 miles on them so far... so a bit early to really offer any insight on them yet. I gave it a good rip in 1st and second from a dead stop, but my car is bone stock at the moment, so as expected they hooked fine.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have a mini air compressor/pump a plug kit and a small water bottle with soapy water in it. The soapy water makes it easier to find hole.

I have run flats and would plug the tire before running flat as running flat can ruin the tire. The tire manufacturers actually recommend replacing tire once it has been run while flat. Of course number of miles and speed run while flat will impact how much the tire is compromised.

It is nice to have the run flat capability when plugging isn't practical though my first choice is to plug then get to a reputable tire repair shop and have them plug/patch the tire. Though tire manufacturers do not recommend repairing run flats either.

First choice cost not considered is run flat then replace.
Second choice plug then get repaired.
Third choice run flat minimal miles and we'll below maximum mph, then repair.
Forth choice plug and leave it.

·
R.I.P. Paul Walker
7,534 Posts
I have a small plug in pump and a can of Slime quick spare 20oz that I got from Walmart.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a mini air compressor/pump a plug kit and a small water bottle with soapy water in it. The soapy water makes it easier to find hole.

I have run flats and would plug the tire before running flat as running flat can ruin the tire. The tire manufacturers actually recommend replacing tire once it has been run while flat. Of course number of miles and speed run while flat will impact how much the tire is compromised.

It is nice to have the run flat capability when plugging isn't practical though my first choice is to plug then get to a reputable tire repair shop and have them plug/patch the tire. Though tire manufacturers do not recommend repairing run flats either.

First choice cost not considered is run flat then replace.
Second choice plug then get repaired.
Third choice run flat minimal miles and we'll below maximum mph, then repair.
Forth choice plug and leave it.
The stock Dunlops are listed as "non repairable" and "single mount." So I'm not sure about repairing them...

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Knowledge is recession proof!
4,212 Posts
The reason I shied away from that one is because it (if I understand the way it works,) is a single stage repair kit. Meaning one button dispenses the slime and then pumps the tire up. I'd rather have the option of just adding air, if it is a real slow leak.
If you've got a puncture, it won't be slow enough to get around on when compared to a RFT. I'd get the slime kit/air compressor.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you've got a puncture, it won't be slow enough to get around on when compared to a RFT. I'd get the slime kit/air compressor.
Not necessarily. I have a screw in my left rear tire (it is what started this whole ordeal,) and it leaks roughly 8 PSI every 24 hours. All I'm saying is, is that if I had a leak that slow, I'd like the option of re inflating and going, to save on the mess created by the slime.

·
R.I.P. Paul Walker
7,534 Posts
Not necessarily. I have a screw in my left rear tire (it is what started this whole ordeal,) and it leaks roughly 8 PSI every 24 hours. All I'm saying is, is that if I had a leak that slow, I'd like the option of re inflating and going, to save on the mess created by the slime.
and what if your nail comes out and you get a flat vs the slow leak?....not everyone 'conveniently' has a slow leak that can be driven on and then filled up.

·
R.I.P. Paul Walker
7,534 Posts
I understand where you're coming from....but whether the can is put in first...then the air compressor....or if they are done a the same time...same difference.

·
Registered
9,701 Posts
AAA, don't have any intention of sliming my Advans.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts