Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts

As the 4th Annual Forged Performance/Nagtroc VIR Track day goes into the history books, I wanted to thank the entire Nagtroc community for being a part of one of the largest gatherings of GT-R's ever assembled on a race track. Over the past 4 years, the event has doubled in size, and attracts GT-R owners from hundreds of miles away. The draw to VIR is unquestionable, and embodies the best of racing circuit courses around the world.

On Sunday morning, the Forged team piled tightly into our F-450 with 48 Foot Hauler in toe and made the 6 hour drive to VIR. We barely had room for Brutus but managed to shoehorn him in between my laptop bag and dashboard.

We arrived at the gates of VIR at 5:30pm sharp and were greeted to the site of some perfect weather as we entered heaven on earth, also know as VIR.

Sunday night, we hosted a meet-and-greet while participants got to know each other. It was great to see a lot of familiar faces, and a handful of new ones.

https://flic.kr/p/5
Monday morning began at 6am for the Forged Performance team as we prepared for the 42 drivers that registered for the event. Every track day or race always begins with the infamous Drivers Meeting. Despite the lack of coffee, I managed to keep everyone awake as we reviewed track basics, the rules and procedures at VIR, flags and other keys to a safe and successful track day. With that, we headed out to tackle one of the most challenging and most rewarding circuits in the country.

https://flic.kr/p/8
Chad captured some great shots throughout the day. We had more fast red group drivers than ever and many of them put on quite a good show. The green group was the perfect place for novices to familiarize themselves with driving a GT-R on track. And by the afternoon sessions, we had folded two groups together which results in an enormous amount of safe and open track time. This is what a good track day is all about!

The weather was absolutely perfect this year, with temps in the high 70's and a light breeze, occasional patches of clouds rolling through provided brief respite of shade. We really couldn't have asked for a better day. As the morning sessions continued, my team got our car ready for the high anticipated shootout between Cicio from TopSpeed Motorsports and myself: Battle of the Shop Owners. With Grand Am Champ Leh Keen instructing and training Cicio over the past year I was expecting some stiff competition.

In morning testing, I realized that the original Michelin PSS tires we used during OLOA were completely undrivable, so we had to improvise. We swapped the wheels and tires from my daily driver GT-R to the Forged/Catesby OLOA GT-R and hoped for the best. Because my street GT-R uses a staggered setup of 295/335 I knew our suspension, aero, and alignment would not be optimized for the tire but at least I would have a driveable car. So as lunch began, I managed to sneak out on my own for 2 test laps on the staggered tire setup, and although not ideal, I felt I could work with it.

With dozens of people lining the hot pit walls, and about a half dozen people piling into the start finish stand the shootout began: 1 warm up lap, 3 hot laps, and a cool down. When the dust settled, the Forged/Catesby OLOA GT-R took the top spot with a 1:59.9, followed a couple seconds back by Cicio in the TSM GT-R, and Jay Stoops another second back in his brand new stock powered 2013 GT-R that we recently tweaked with simple suspension, brake, and tire upgrades.

It was definitely an exciting lap. I had a nice 2 wheel off on the setup to the sharp right hander of Oak Tree resulting in a smoke screen of dust, Cicio broke his splitter dropping over the curbing at Turn 5, and Jay Stoops in his stock'ish GT-R was basically sideways in 80% of the corners and still managed to click off a 2:04 laptime with bone stock power, stock coilovers, and no power adders at all.

Unquestionably the best looking and sounding car at the event was Ron's SL.

https://flic.kr/p/1

[email protected] our Sales Manager tearing it up around VIR
https://flic.kr/p/3

Two time and current Grand-Am GT Chamption Leh Keen falling in love with his 2008 GT3-RS. Giving it a proper orientation.

We hope to see you all next year at VIR. It was a very special event for all of us, and hope to make it even bigger and better for 2013!

Dozens of additinal photos of this event are available for download on our FORGED PERFORMANCE FLICKR PAGE

·
Vendor
3,046 Posts
Awesome event man! Thanks for having me and my team out to enjoy VIR! Several of my guys had never been there, and it's just an amazing facility.

It was a blast to get on track with drivers like yourself and Jay Stoops for some open track fun! Frankly I just love to drive, and it's an honor to not only be coached by one of the best, but to even be considered for such a shop demonstration. It was November of 2010 when I first drove with Leh at VIR in his M3...we were coming down the front straight when Leh looked over and said "Cicio...you're bad, you don't even do the obvious things right" LOL!!! I think I was running in the 2:25-30ish area that day, so 4 visits to VIR later to be able to run a low 2 min time is an exciting personal accomplishment for me. I was able to cut a 2:01.7 with the broken splitter which I was happy with. Now I just have to figure out where Leh finds those extra 4-5 seconds, he ran a 1:56.1 with me in the passenger seat on the same tires! I hate that guy

Thanks again for the hospitality and the great event. It was well run, and a joy to be a part of...we will certainly be back next year for more.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Awesome event man! Thanks for having me and my team out to enjoy VIR! Several of my guys had never been there, and it's just an amazing facility.

It was a blast to get on track with drivers like yourself and Jay Stoops for some open track fun! Frankly I just love to drive, and it's an honor to not only be coached by one of the best, but to even be considered for such a shop demonstration. It was November of 2010 when I first drove with Leh at VIR in his M3...we were coming down the front straight when Leh looked over and said "Cicio...you're bad, you don't even do the obvious things right" LOL!!! I think I was running in the 2:25-30ish area that day, so 4 visits to VIR later to be able to run a low 2 min time is an exciting personal accomplishment for me. I was able to cut a 2:01.7 with the broken splitter which I was happy with. Now I just have to figure out where Leh finds those extra 4-5 seconds, he ran a 1:56.1 with me in the passenger seat on the same tires! I hate that guy

Thanks again for the hospitality and the great event. It was well run, and a joy to be a part of...we will certainly be back next year for more.
Congrats on the track record. Just out of curiosity, about how much horsepower is this GT-R making?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
awesome event and awesome people. couldnt have asked for more

thanks for putting it on Forged

·
Vendor
3,046 Posts
Congrats on the track record. Just out of curiosity, about how much horsepower is this GT-R making?
I ran the car on low boost because honestly I don't have much seat time in the car and I didn't want to kill myself
I think that setting put down around 660-670 but Doug would know for sure.

Leh ran the car on a higher boost setting.....I think 22-23 PSI, probably 750ish or so...but again Doug would know better than me..that's for sure in the ball park tho

·
Registered
749 Posts
Thanks. I just wanted to know as a reference to compare to my car. I'm only at 559whp but am shooting for 600whp with a few other mods. I can't imagine tearing around the track with 750. That must be some thrill ride!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Looks like an amazing event!!!!! Do you have some still shots of Ryan's car? Is Ryan on stock suspension?

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Peter! Chad got a few shots he is still editing. I'll have to check to see if any of them are still shots. I'm on the JRZ RS Pro Silents right now.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Hey Peter! Chad got a few shots he is still editing. I'll have to check to see if any of them are still shots. I'm on the JRZ RS Pro Silents right now.
the VIR day was my first day on my RS PRO Silents and holy shit are they amazing.

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
the VIR day was my first day on my RS PRO Silents and holy shit are they amazing.
Transformational, isn't it. I am sorry we didn't get a chance to formally introduce ourselves. It was a busy busy day....12 hours felt like 30 mins.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Great event and good times had by all. Lots of great people at this event.

Ryan took me out for a ride in his car. Here's the video.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Transformational, isn't it. I am sorry we didn't get a chance to formally introduce ourselves. It was a busy busy day....12 hours felt like 30 mins.
it was a crazy ass day. I paced all day, besides time in the car i dont think I sat down all day. Thanks for putting on the event, it was top notch.

Ill be back next year and hopefully ill be able to show up for the dinner before. I had to drive 10 hours from Ohio to get there Sunday night.

·
Who Dat !
7,797 Posts
That's an awesome pic MC

·
Registered
100 Posts
That's a great shot of MC's car!

We had a great time. Thanks to all involved in making this a great event. Flat Out Motorsports will certainly be back again next year. Hopefully we'll bring the Viper along next time.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
That's a great shot of MC's car!

We had a great time. Thanks to all involved in making this a great event. Flat Out Motorsports will certainly be back again next year. Hopefully we'll bring the Viper along next time.
my 12 year old has told me 3 times that i need to sell my GTR and buy a lambo after seeing and hearing yours at VIR

1 - 20 of 24 Posts