Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my car back from the shop over the weekend. I have around 1,000 HP at the crank - 850 AWHP. After I got it back, the head maintenance guy at my company proceded to tell me that it's only a matter of time before the frame gets stress cracks from the increased power and it won't handle it and he guarantees I will be replacing rods and pistons by august (Engine is fully built to handle 1500 WHP). Does anyone know if there is any truth to the frame issue and what the capabilites are? I think he's crazy and full of shit as he's used to working on 1970's motors with 300hp. Let me know if anyone can shed any light on the frame or any other stock component of the car that cannot handle the stress of 1,000 crank HP. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I'm sure others will respond but there are tons of cars making similar power as yours and more and I have never read anything about frame issues.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly my fighting point against him. He asks for proof. Can't blame him for wanting proof. I wonder if there is any "proof" of any sort out there that someone has access to in these forums? I mean i think it's ridiculous as there are 1,700 HP GTR's out there with no problems. I just want something I can show him so I can call BULLSHIT!!! He's the type of guy that when he sees someone has anything nice, he immediately says, "Well this is wrong, this is going to go wrong, and this sucks and this sucks, etc..." Annoying as shit.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Don't even entertain him lol tell him that Japanese engineering is light years ahead of the NA crap he's used to, that should shut him up! Then blow his doors off

·
JDM R35 Premium
2,033 Posts
Lol There a few running the same whp as you and none of the chassis bent, cracked, not even windscreens.

It's not a Civic who can't handle this kind of power.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol I know I agree 100% I just hate it when someone says prove it and all I can say is well i haven't heard of anyone else that this is a problem for. I doubt i'll get actual proof and will just have to show him over time that he's a moron. He has my whole family freaking out about me driving this car, just so annoying!!

·
JDM R35 Premium
2,033 Posts
Lol I know I agree 100% I just hate it when someone says prove it and all I can say is well i haven't heard of anyone else that this is a problem for. I doubt i'll get actual proof and will just have to show him over time that he's a moron. He has my whole family freaking out about me driving this car, just so annoying!!
+1 Jealousy from a workshop.

·
Registered
639 Posts
It is difficult and problematic to prove a negative. I suggest you rephrase the conversation such that the burden of proof is on him: if X (being high hp and stock frame) leads to Y (bent frame etc), and there are a number of X in the world, get me an example of Y. He is the one making a claim about the car, the burden of proof is his, not yours.

You could also highlight that his experience with other vehicles, especially those of a different time period, is not applicable.

Dave

·
JDM R35 Premium
2,033 Posts
It is difficult and problematic to prove a negative. I suggest you rephrase the conversation such that the burden of proof is on him: if X (being high hp and stock frame) leads to Y (bent frame etc), and there are a number of X in the world, get me an example of Y. He is the one making a claim about the car, the burden of proof is his, not yours.

You could also highlight that his experience with other vehicles, especially those of a different time period, is not applicable.

Dave
+2

Time changes and car designing and engineering aswell.

Think about 80s chassis design and todays is much different.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I got 1180whp n put bout 10k miles on my car lookin fine to me . Even drive it for 6 hrs straight to go out of town seem fine. He just a hater. Lol

·
JDM R35 Premium
2,033 Posts
I got 1180whp n put bout 10k miles on my car lookin fine to me . Even drive it for 6 hrs straight to go out of town seem fine. He just a hater. Lol
+3 another supporter :D

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
read the japanese gtr story... you will need someone to translate, but it gives alot of information about the gtr chassis from prototype mules to each production change including how precise the process has to be to produce the chassis. its a story i wish they made in english for everyone to read, cause its very worth while.

·
JDM R35 Premium
2,033 Posts
read the japanese gtr story... you will need someone to translate, but it gives alot of information about the gtr chassis from prototype mules to each production change including how precise the process has to be to produce the chassis. its a story i wish they made in english for everyone to read, cause its very worth while.
If you have document I can translate for all.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lol good question. He always thinks he knows everything about everything and is always putting people's nice things down. I want to put something in his face and show him he's wrong! And he has my whole family freaking out about it.

Sent from my iPhone 5

·
Registered
577 Posts
A Chassis will fatigue, metal flexes and stretches. Modern unibody design is light years ahead of the older cars, so the problems of tearing spot welds is almost non existent at this point.

Your car isn't going to be falling apart, maintain it and it'll keep on going despite what Mr. Bob the Maintenance guy thinks. Sure in 50,000 miles chassis wouldn't be as tight as it was new, but it's still tighter than any 90's unibody.

·
JDM R35 Premium
2,033 Posts
A Chassis will fatigue, metal flexes and stretches. Modern unibody design is light years ahead of the older cars, so the problems of tearing spot welds is almost non existent at this point.

Your car isn't going to be falling apart, maintain it and it'll keep on going despite what Mr. Bob the Maintenance guy thinks. Sure in 50,000 miles chassis wouldn't be as tight as it was new, but it's still tighter than any 90's unibody.
+1000000000000000000000000000000

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.