Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 17 FBO 30k mile R35 a few weeks back and instantly noticed an oil smell when stopped.

The oil smell is brief but potent. It goes away after about 10-15 seconds. I smell it only when stopping. There is no smoke coming from the exhaust and no smell of oil out of the exhaust (had someone ride behind me).

It has plenty of power, all gauges look good on the dash. However, it does have a weird idle. Every 10 seconds or so the car will lope. It’s not really a rough idle but it’s not right. Another thing is that it’s ever so slightly sputtering only at 2500 rpm when in manual mode. Almost like it wants to change gears (trans tune maybe or spark plugs?). It’s just odd that it only happens at 2500 rpm. Since I’m listing things off, it also takes a few seconds to crank. It’s pretty grumpy (even when priming the fuel pumps first).

Mods:
ID 1300 injectors
Fuel pumps unknown
speed density tune
Cobb intake-inlet
Cat back
Catless downpipes
E85 kit from Cobb

I’ve checked all around the engine, drain plug, oil cap, exhaust, downpipes no signs of oil. Oil level is good.

I did see what I think is an oil line which has a coupling with a possible leak. It’s located right in front of the engine below the radiator. (See photo).

Do guys have an idea of what could be the issue?

I’m a noob and learning as much as I can about this car. But based on my limited knowledge, my suspicion is it’s a bad turbo seal causing the smell.

Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

· Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Have you checked the turbo oil return lines?

· Registered
477 Posts
well the reason u smell it while stopping is there is no wind.

says nothing. i would check all the inter cooler piping air filter aso

· Associate
291 Posts
So the lope when idling was due to dirty air filters.
I’m going to do a few pulls and post the logs.

I haven’t been able to look at the turbos yetbeing that I don’t have a boroscope.
Just my opinion but if I were to have bought a tuned GTR I’d get it to a shop I trust right away. Have them flush all the fluids including transmission and especially the front differential. Then have them give it a once over inspection, finally I’d have it re-tuned based on current mods.

You can also have the fuel basket pulled to find out exactly what pumps are in there. Will help with future upgrade path.

alex

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just my opinion but if I were to have bought a tuned GTR I’d get it to a shop I trust right away. Have them flush all the fluids including transmission and especially the front differential. Then have them give it a once over inspection, finally I’d have it re-tuned based on current mods.

You can also have the fuel basket pulled to find out exactly what pumps are in there. Will help with future upgrade path.

alex
Thanks for the insight!
I’m taking it to Cicio ASAP.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many things to check... oil cooler lines, catch can if you have one etc. Get a local tuner involved soon.
I found something… oil spots on the turbo inlets and what appears that the turbo blades are banged up on the driver side turbo.

Attachments

· Registered
2020 Bayside Blue
180 Posts
Does the car have a catch can? If so, which one?

Reactions: bowalg33

· Registered
2020 Bayside Blue
180 Posts

· Registered
2020 Bayside Blue
180 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts