Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as a nooooobie to this forum I figured its always good to start out strong.....Here it goes!

As someone who has just became an owner of a 2012 Black Edition GTR I wanted to share/ hear/start a comparison thread against the mighty M3.

I know a bunch of people with M3s and it takes a lot to find something better/faster within a REASONABLE price increase right?

A little bit of background information on my experience.

In the last 4 years I had a new 2008 Grabber Orange Mustang GT convertible (with roush intake and flow master cat backs) ($199 per month lease! - family plan through a friend) then I moved to a new 2009 White DCT M3 Coupe ($1363 per month lease) (During a winter snowstorm a tree fell on this baby lol) (During this same period I also had a 335xi ($750 per month) that I was regularly driving - it was my girlfriends) I then switched to a red convertible Stick 2008 M3 coupe on which I got an amazing deal through swap a lease ($730 per month) (All daily drivers) As my last M3 was coming to the end of its lease (Feb 2012) I started shopping around because I didn't fancy spending another winter with an M3 and its lovely slippy summer tires and rear wheel drive. I was also done with the M3 in general. Nothing bad to say, just after two of them in a row it was time for something new.

I initially wanted a Porsche, I'm 6'4" so I can only fit in the 911 comfortably, I took a standard one on a test drive, an S edition, and a 4S edition. They were all really nice cars. I was not a fan of the stuffy sales approach, the take it or leave it attitude.

Tried out some BMW's - X5/X6 the new 6 series the new 5 series (funny thing with BMW especially lately is that inside the car its hard to tell the difference between any BMW they all look the same)

Mercedes- even though I have a great hook with a mercedes dealer, I find there cars to be for an older driver and the e63 AMG is $1600 a month which is stupid considering what you can get for that money!

I tried a masarati of which I was not a fan (Who puts a Wooden steering wheel in a sports car?) The little old sales lady tried to talk me into a ferrari California (Which I didn't ask to test drive) ($2000 a month) while doable I decided against this avenue lol...Not just yet lol

Audi S4 / S5/ TTrs - Were all crap in my opinion, if I wanted a snow plough I would buy one! The sales rep told me to take a corner as hard as I would in my M3 I did and the front of all of the Audis keep going straight no matter what way the wheels were facing in the turn. Dangerous stuff.

Jaguar - My neighbor has one, said its slow and expensive.

Briefly considered a Super Charged Range Rover Sport (debated calming down a little) I asked the sales guy what he had to say about Range Rover being recognized as the worst car in reliability tests. His response? Anyone that leases a Range rover will only keep it for a year or two, they don't go really wrong until a few years old. He was quite calm while explaining what a s**t heap he was trying to sell me.

But they did not give me that WOW factor I had when I first hit the gas in the M3. I needed a significant jump in performance without breaking the bank (My lease payment budget was $1500 a month) I wanted my next vehicle to Wow me.

I then tried the GTR out, the dealership had a used 2009 that they let me drive (with a flat tire lol) Even in the 09 with the flat tire I got the wow factor, then when I finally put my shiny new Black Edition into drive, pushed up all three little switches, pulled the left paddle to put me into manual mode in first gear....and then floored the pedal.

I fell in love. I also nearly S**T my pants, when the turbos kicked in lol

I have had this car now for just over a month, the longer I own it, the more I learn about it, The more comfortable I am exploring my limits with it (lol) This truly is an amazing vehicle.

The honeymoon period is over and I still get goosebumps driving the car daily. I am also very fair when it comes to talking about cars that I have or have had, I will never pretend that everything is flawless, yes I have a couple of gripes about the GTR so far, No auto wipers, sound system needs more bass, I hate constantly having to keep a black car clean! But they are very few and far between.

Now I know almost everyone on here agrees with my thought (that the GTR is an amazing vehicle) but the purpose of this thread was in case anyone happens to be in the leaving an M3 and wondering what to get next phase.

I would like to know has anyone else on here came from the M3 and what have your thoughts and experiences been?

On a side note I don't want this to become a M3 vs GTR hate thread, They are two different cars and as someone who has owned both for me the GTR absolutely destroys the M3 in every area except for free service and automatic wipers! However the M3 was also an awesome car, the GTR happens to be close price wise but it is definitely a super car whereby an M# is an (Executive) sports car.

Let the conversation begin!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Was your M3 a DCT?
After 3+ years of my E92 M3 ownership im getting a little bored with it. My only problem is that I dont want to feel the same way about the GTR.

I've been obsessed with driving stick lately.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Nice man !! Great story
congrats

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And thats exactly what I don't intend this thread to be, its meant to acknowledge the M3 as an awesome machine but to give M3 owners who are looking at their next automotive purchase my experience from having two M3's and moving to a GTR. As for M3post, that reinforces something I said earlier, I really admire this site because it seems far more mature, Its not everyone running to defend anything to do with the GTR.

I have always taken pride in being a car guy who will tell you what I like and don't like about my cars, I have no biased to a brand or model because I swap from car to car so often lately that it would be stupid to have to pigeon hole my choice of cars to play with ;-)

@ Pearl GTR - Yes one was a DCT(The white coupe) and the red convertible was a stick, being from Ireland I have driven stick my whole life and while not a pro at it I am capable of heel towing and rev matching decently. However by the end of having the stick M3 I swore that it would be a long time before I have a stick again, honestly in my opinion automated boxes are far better, they make for faster cars, less loss of power between gear changes, perfect rev matching, and not to mention how much of a pain in the ass a stick is in NYC or traffic in general! (Even though the M's clutch is relatively light)

Yes I will acknowledge that stick is more pure and a lot more fun but for them 5 mins of driving that hard on regular roads for me it just isn't used enough. (NOTE: I have yet to race at a track though) and I will also acknowledge that my comment is based on purely road driving and I have no idea if stick is better on a track. For me Im done with stick for the foreseeable future. Its just too much work for IMO no way near the performance of twin clutches etc. And out of the 2 M's the DCT was considerably faster accelerating, better balanced in turns (both cars were stock) and all in all it just was a far better car, the DCT was heavier on fuel though. I have a heavy foot! A full tank on the M3 Stick would get me nearly 200 miles the DCT just over 150 and on the GTR just over 200 miles lol. These things were meant to be driven right? lol

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
^

Right there with you. I had a M3 DCT. I am waiting to order a new M5 in the next few months. Its funny to see people that comment the new M5 should come in stick. I will NEVER buy a luxury 4 door cruiser that I have to work at. I did that with my CTSV. I never realized how much I hated my CTSV until I rented a regular automatic CTS and fell in love with the comfort all over again. Guess I was missing out on just enjoying the ride and all the features since I was constantly shifting. DCT is the future. Enjoy the car. Every time I drive the GT-R I still giggle to myself how F&*King fast it is.

I also laugh at people who try to say theyd rather have a slower car because it "feels" better. HA! Whens the last time you ever saw someone wanting to slow down their car because it was too fast?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't wait to try the new M5 it has been getting great reviews,

My only red flag is the four doors.

I really don't want to be giving a girl the wrong idea.

(Unless its 3 girls lol)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just switched from a 11 E90 M3 stick and will NEVER look back it was the worst car I've ever had! Rear end bolts cracked 2 times needed the whole rear sub frame replaced. Exhaust bolts cracked once. 2nd gears grinds when it's cold. Always wheel hops like crazy. I loved my 08 E92 335i though

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, I never experienced slow moving wheel hop until the GTR. (That and in an Sti Impreza)

That sounds like you had a lemon. How did you get out of the car seen as it was an 2011?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Called a lemon law lawyer. Should be done after new years hopefully. Also I never modded, tracked it or raced it either. I raced the crap out of my 335 with full bolt ons and meth and never had a single problem with it. But so far LOVE the GT-R still waiting for break in though.

So you get wheel hop. In your GT-R?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup, just in the morning and when its cold out, pulling out from my parking spot on full lock or making the first couple of turns.

Break in....ahh yes, just like the M3......I actually thought the car was ran in before I bought it (I could have sworn I read somewhere there was no break in period on GTRs) SO after picking it up I introduced the car to over 160mph after about half an hour lol.

That night reading the manual I read about the break in routine lol.

Mine had more of a bootcamp than a break in lol

·
Registered
901 Posts
Congrats on your GTR

I never owned a m3 but I do own a m5 smg.and must say the GTR is a brute very fast car....but for me after 2.5 years I'm going to go to something
Different .I HOPE you love the car forever but in all reality the GTR is a track animal and for me which I don't track as a DD im jjust tired of noises
And the stiff run flats and cant get comfortable in the GTR seats.

·
Registered
65 Posts
That night reading the manual I read about the break in routine lol.

Mine had more of a bootcamp than a break in lol
Lol indeed. This is the first car I've ever had where I just sat down and read the manual basically cover to cover. Lots of good info in there. Although some of it is just tedious (nav instructions)... Like reading Chinese stereo instructions.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I just wanted to add that in addition to my 2009 GT-R, I also own a 2005 Audi S4. I bought it last year to be my DD, after I started racking up miles on my GT-R. While there is no way to make any comparisons between my GT-R and my S4, I am quite satisfied with both. For a DD, I wanted something that was AWD, fast, sleek, and still had many of the newer bells and whistles I had become accustomed to. Regarding the cornering issue, although I've never tracked the S4, I have hit some pretty good curves and have never had problems with the handling. It's a good DD that will handle itself quite well against most other cars on the road. And whenever I get that itch for more, there's always my GT-R waiting in the garage.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
I like the sound of an M3 V8 (truth be told I prefer the sound of an Inline Six-both the GT-R and the M3s of old were sixers that sang that haunting straight six song. Miss that in both cars.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes I agree there is something amazing about hearing that M V8 wailing up to 8300rpm. It always reminds me of a motorbike sound. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

As for the GTR not being a daily driver, it is currently my daily driver and mine is the black edition so I have them super tight recaros! So tight that I had to go on a diet to lose a few pounds to fit in them more comfortably (No joke!)

Yes it makes a bunch of strange noises, and me being a guy who drives the piss out of my cars I am always wondering did I finally break something lol The noises rarely bother me, if they do I crank up the stereo but sometimes when I have a passenger and we are talking it does get irritating when they are constantly asking me is the car ok because it sounds like it is falling apart lol, granted usually my passenger is a 25 year old fitness instructor from NYC who has no idea what my car is lol. I just thank them for their concern lol

I remember someone writing (I think on this forum) that the GTR is a race car, everything about it is designed to make it go around a race track as fast as possible, creature comforts are an after thought to the performance and design of the car. I remind myself of this when the car is hopping because it is cold or rattling and banging as it slows down, funny thing though, when you really hit it in this car, everything tightens up, this car is designed to be driven hard not nursed around town at 20mph.

However I have no doubt though that in a few more months I will have to pick up a new daily driver, the GTR is too intense to keep this up and I want to keep it that way. When its your daily driver you become numb to the power. Its important to have your toy to play with ;-)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Well written up, you're braver than me, those payments are nuts, but great post. Enjoy the BE, they are bad-a!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts