Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Boost Junky
4,007 Posts
Hi all, first time posting here. Avid member of several other online forums for some time now. I have been investigating GTR's more and more, and they really seem like the total package.

I've owned 3 Supra's now, and while I love the platform, I think a change is in the air. I've been debating this for awhile, as I'm trying to figure out maintenance costs and general pricing. It appears that pricing for used GTR's is all over the place, and I'd really want a white car. Doesn't seem like I can find clean unmolested cars lower than 67k or so. I unfortunately cannot afford a brand new one.

It appears major expenses are the first service at 18k, and brake changes ($3K with aftermarket parts?) Is there anything else I should look for?

Before I purchased I would want the service records ran from Nissan as well. The factory warranty is 3yrs, 36kmi correct?

Here's a pic of my latest Supra, 750whp or so.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Lots of prior supra owners here. It's a different kind of beast that effortlessly just goes fast. I hope you don't need to sell the supra and can add to your stable then it would be a great choice.

I shopped for 6 months to find a white one had to go out of state. None within 500 showed up that had low miles and a good history.

If you paln on modding don't worry about what year. Look for a clean bodied car as you will probably end up building anyway from the looks of the supra.

Trannies are the biggest worry. They break modded and break stock. No rhyme or reason. I believe the stage 1 build to replace sensors and clips that fail is about a 3 k build and next stage is 5k but you ll have a bulletproof trans for 6xx-7xx whp.

Location also is a big factor on pricing. Seems like Cali cars are 3-5 k more.

Breaks would be changed with cheaper cost replacements parts that perform as good if not better than high dollar factory items.

When pricing comaprative cars tires/fluid changes can change value up/down by 1500/3000 if that needs to be done.

Hope you find what you want soon!

·
Boost Junky
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lots of prior supra owners here. It's a different kind of beast that effortlessly just goes fast. I hope you don't need to sell the supra and can add to your stable then it would be a great choice.

I shopped for 6 months to find a white one had to go out of state. None within 500 showed up that had low miles and a good history.

If you paln on modding don't worry about what year. Look for a clean bodied car as you will probably end up building anyway from the looks of the supra.

Trannies are the biggest worry. They break modded and break stock. No rhyme or reason. I believe the stage 1 build to replace sensors and clips that fail is about a 3 k build and next stage is 5k but you ll have a bulletproof trans for 6xx-7xx whp.

Location also is a big factor on pricing. Seems like Cali cars are 3-5 k more.

Breaks would be changed with cheaper cost replacements parts that perform as good if not better than high dollar factory items.

When pricing comaprative cars tires/fluid changes can change value up/down by 1500/3000 if that needs to be done.

Hope you find what you want soon!
Thanks for the reply.

I would have to sell my Supra unfortunately. :(

I will most likely be listing my car next month for sale and start my search for a GTR after my May wedding.

I keep reading about LC1/LC2. Is there a way to tell what the tranny has been through on used GTR's? The last thing I'd want is a car that was going to run into problems with stuff breaking, as I can't imagine these are cheap to fix.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I went from a 95' Supra with big power to my current GT-R. (well, M3 in between) There has been a lot of refinement in 15 years. The Supra was my dream car growing up, but I would make the switch if you can.

Be patient. I would look for a stock 2010 or 2011. That way you know it has always had LC2 or later, still have some warranty, and the price will be less than the 2012s+. Nothing wrong with 2009s if you can verify the history.

There is a price shock coming to the GT-R on parts and service. But costs are coming down all the time and the knowledge base is growing. Trannies used to be, what, $25K to replace? Now you can get them for less than half that. That's still a huge chunk of change, and if that worries you, don't mod it beyond exhaust mods and lightening the car. Once you tune the car warranty service can potentially be denied. But the real killer is not using the factory tranny fluid or launching with traction control off. That's the compromise I make; my car is tuned and I take that risk. I got lucky in that I got mine from a dealership where the owner is a GT-R enthusiast, who basically said just don't launch it with VDC off or put on an aftermarket turbo kit and I'll warranty anything!

·
GTR Nerd
5,335 Posts
I keep reading about LC1/LC2. Is there a way to tell what the tranny has been through on used GTR's? The last thing I'd want is a car that was going to run into problems with stuff breaking, as I can't imagine these are cheap to fix.
Nissan GT-R Buyers Guide Including LC1-LC5 information

http://www.2009gtr.com/2010/12/used-nissan-gt-r-buyers-guide-2009-2011.html

Some more Launch control information:

http://www.2009gtr.com/2012/03/launch-control-lc4-and-lc5-for-nissan.html

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I went from a 750+whp supra to the Gtr... The only thing that sucks is the price to modify... But other then that I would never look back

·
Registered
28 Posts
As another former supra owner, I will say that the GTR is definitely awesome in every respect, but the damn GTR associated Tax sucks. Modifying the car costs a lot more than I think it should be costing, but there's a lot of high end stuff used on the GTR platform that wasn't used as much in the supra modifying. As for the Tranny, well if you get essentially a stage II trans from Shep it's about 7k, but will take all the power the stock turbos can throw at it. As for maintenance, as long as the car still is fairly new you get your first 3 POS' done for free. After that, yes they are a bit expensive, but most of the cost is either labor or fluid based. Good luck in your quest for a white GTR!!!

James

·
Registered
284 Posts
I keep hearing about the "GTR" tax on parts and i think it's because it's so new. It seems like shops like Boost Logic/AMS are all competing, so eventually I think it will bring prices down on parts. Probably going to take awhile though.
Haha say goodbye to being able to get an HKS titanium exhaust for $1500.

·
Registered
284 Posts
It probably added power too, lol.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
If you loved the supra you will love the GT-R. Im pretty sure all of us here at one time have lusted over a supra or nsx. Do it!

By the way, absolutely gorgeous supra. Still one of my favorite cars of all time. I remember my uncle had one when I was young. He regretted selling it the last 5 years. I let him drive the GT-R when I first got it and now all he talks about is picking up a 2012 in the next few months ;) Hes hooked again. Hasnt had a sports car in almost 10 years

·
Registered
16 Posts
Fancy seeing you here Ryan.... Weird that we're here for the same reasons

Like you, I would be getting rid of the Supra for it, but my wife thinks that I'm going to miss dream car too much. Good luck!

Jeremy

·
Boost Junky
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fancy seeing you here Ryan.... Weird that we're here for the same reasons

Like you, I would be getting rid of the Supra for it, but my wife thinks that I'm going to miss dream car too much. Good luck!

Jeremy
Haha. We're over visiting the "dark side". Don't tell anyone!

·
Registered
65 Posts
When I got my 2010 Black premium edition for 65k with 24.5k miles, it was a good deal. I think that you should be able to get a great GTR for around 60 in great condition. As for maintenance, it depends how you drive it. I don't rag mine, but I do drive fast if that makes any sense. Usually if there's a nice long piece of open road, I'll hit it. So I still have original tires and brakes. Brakes still have quite a bit left on the pad. I did go ahead and do transmission and differential when I got the car and paid just over $1k for all of that, including the HKS tranny fluid. Badass. I've done two oil changes (Enios) and each of those ran about $100 bucks.

So yeah, maintenance is more expensive than the Jetta TDI i was driving. But it also hasn't been the nightmare some people describe. As for the trannies, they made vast improvements between 09 and 10. That's why I got the 10.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.