Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey everyone,

I need a little help. I detailed my P800 for the 1st time this past Friday. Here is the quick story. I washed the rims, wheels and rotors with Sonix wheel cleaner. The car with car shampoo. (everything from autogeek). Rinsed with CR spotless. Dried the car, but it was cool outside upper 40's in the evenings, so the rotors were still wet. I brought the car into the garage and detailed it (paint sealant, and tire polish etc.) I did NOT drive the car after I was finish to get the rotors to dry.

The next day, I backed the car out the garage and it was very hard to start backing (parking brake was not on), and I hear a pop at all four ends, I think the brake pads were stuck to the rotors. Then when I drove the car at low speed there was a rattle coming from the front end on both lateral sides of the car. Best description of the rattle, it is like when a car's pulled out radio antenna (like on my corolla), hits the roof of the car repeatly because of high winds. I kept looking around to see if there was something loose on the outside of the car (but of course there was not). When the car got up to operating temperature, the rattle went away. Even if I drove at low speed again it was gone. Then, the next day, the rattle returned while driving at low speeds and then disappeared once the car heated up.

Questions: (I am a novice to the GTR, and 1st real attempt at serious detailing)
Did I break something or knock something loose in the rotor? or do I need to bed the pads or something?
How do I prevent this? Here is what I mean, If I want to wash and then wax polish the car, then this will take a couple hours. Would the rotors/break pads stick together in that time? I would not want to drive the car around to dry the rotors and get dust on the paints.

If this is the wrong place for this question, please move it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Its probably just brake dust and rust from sitting, happened a couple times to me also.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its probably just brake dust and rust from sitting, happened a couple times to me also.
Thanks, it has now gone away. Will this happen every time I wash and detail the car.

·
Registered
554 Posts
360GTR is right. It happens to plenty of new owners who are unaware of the normal annoyances of the GTR. You should try to always drive the car a little after every wash so it doesn't happen again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.