Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is kind of a continuation of my previous post. I got my car from New Hampshire and it has a ton of rust on the undercarriage. I recently replaced the mid pipe to steadily remove it while simultaneously upgrade the car. After removing the pipe I noticed the full extent of it. There is rust on what appears to be the front propeller shaft, patches of rust on the front and rear drive shaft, and the transmission oil pan.

What I’m wondering is, should I just replace everything and be done with it or should I try sand blasting? I’m kinda worried that eventually they will fail and fall apart due to the rust while driving, but am hoping they will last a while longer before it becomes a problem. The pan is so rusty that it’s starting to flake so I planned to replace that, I’d just like to buy a little time.

Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Brown Automotive tire Wood Sleeve Bumper

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Rim Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Rim

Automotive tire Wood Grey Tire Tints and shades

Wood Gas Auto part Artifact Machine

·
Registered
379 Posts
plz do not try sand blasting on the prop shaft joints. remove all the rust on the shaft only, after that paint job. as for the joints use 2K rost converter.

also replace all bolts and of the transmission pan and the pan itself.

mine is red now :)
Head Eye Leg Human body Gesture

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
plz do not try sand blasting on the prop shaft joints. remove all the rust on the shaft only, after that paint job. as for the joints use 2K rost converter.

also replace all bolts and of the transmission pan and the pan itself.

mine is red now :) View attachment 403648
Would it be better to just replace the parts? Also do I need a special kind of paint for it if I go with your method?

·
Registered
379 Posts
if you can afford it of course replacement is always better. maybe you can spot a used one. i don’t want to know what the prop shaft costs new.

i used heat resistive paint.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Another option, all though some what limited as many places do not off this service is dry icing. My friends shop has it and its amazing how they can turn a whole rusted undercarriage look new.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hello,

Need some advice here. I bought a GTR from a Nissan dealership in New Hampshire and of course I was an idiot and didn’t check for rust before signing those papers. I’ve had it for about 9 months now and have been looking to potentially sell it due to the monthly payment and wanting to save more for a house. I bought it for 83k but I feel ripped off due to them not disclosing the rust issue. I feel like this is a long shot but what are the odds I could potentially get the dealer to compensate me for that? I feel silly even asking that but it’s just so *messed up to me that they wouldn’t say anything.

On sell price, because of the rust issue and the front bumper having some spidering in the paint, dealers are only offering me 70k for it. Carsandbids is even telling me to set a reserve price of 70k which pretty much tells me how much this car is worth.

Anyways, just trying to get an idea on what my options are here. Car now has a midpipe installed as a way to start removing the rust.

pictures for context:

(Removed this pipe)
Automotive tire Wood Sculpture Statue Formation

Brown Automotive tire Wood Sleeve Bumper

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Rim

Automotive tire Wood Grey Tire Tints and shades

Wood Gas Auto part Artifact Machine

Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Alberta Oil & Gas
6,067 Posts
It may be more helpful to us if you could post some pics of this rust issue(s).

*Threads merged

1 - 12 of 12 Posts