Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running E85 for some time now and have noticed in one town that it is not available anymore. Are any of you seeing E85 disappear from the stations? What are the possibilities that E85 will go away very soon? I was looking to upgrade injectors so I could run it on higher boost but if it is fading out then I do not need to make the change.

I have noticed that gas stations that had E85 and no longer do have replaced that pump with "Turbo Blue" 110. Is this a Leaded fuel? If so is there an issue running this in the GTR?

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I have been running E85 for some time now and have noticed in one town that it is not available anymore. Are any of you seeing E85 disappear from the stations? What are the possibilities that E85 will go away very soon? I was looking to upgrade injectors so I could run it on higher boost but if it is fading out then I do not need to make the change.

I have noticed that gas stations that had E85 and no longer do have replaced that pump with "Turbo Blue" 110. Is this a Leaded fuel? If so is there an issue running this in the GTR?
Where are you located?

I would talk to the manager of the gas stations that no longer have e85 and ask them what's going on.

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
It's likely just a matter of time before E85 disappears completely as the government subsidy ran out at the end of 2011. Prices will be sky rocketing soon and that will undoubtedly hurt demand. Less demand means a lot of stations will stop selling it.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
It's likely just a matter of time before E85 disappears completely as the government subsidy ran out at the end of 2011. Prices will be sky rocketing soon and that will undoubtedly hurt demand. Less demand means a lot of stations will stop selling it.
You have a valid point - but I think the lack of government subsidy will make less pumps pop-up rather then disappear..

As along as the government continues to require 10% ethanol blended in our gasoline I don't see there being a supply and demand issue causing pricing to go insane.

-John

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
It is up to the managers/owners of the individual gas stations to carry special fuels. If it isn't profitable or popular, it won't last long. Ethanol has to be produced to meet existing requirements for gasoline/petroleum so the supply will still be there, but again, there has to be a need. Locally where I am more stations are popping up with majority based ethanol fuels. We have E85, and E100 at the pump (93 is on the other pump). Most other stations than this one have 85 only, but this one is owned by an enthusiast

You have a valid point - but I think the lack of government subsidy will make less pumps pop-up rather then disappear..

As along as the government continues to require 10% ethanol blended in our gasoline I don't see there being a supply and demand issue causing pricing to go insane.

-John
Agreed here.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Ethanol is now being seen politically as a failure, so it has a potentially uncertain future at this point.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is up to the managers/owners of the individual gas stations to carry special fuels. If it isn't profitable or popular, it won't last long. Ethanol has to be produced to meet existing requirements for gasoline/petroleum so the supply will still be there, but again, there has to be a need. Locally where I am more stations are popping up with majority based ethanol fuels. We have E85, and E100 at the pump (93 is on the other pump). Most other stations than this one have 85 only, but this one is owned by an enthusiast

Agreed here.
MAN I want that pump!

·
Banned
853 Posts
We have E85, and E100 at the pump (93 is on the other pump). Most other stations than this one have 85 only, but this one is owned by an enthusiast
I love how E100 is less than E85

Ethanol has already lost. It's just a matter of time before it's gone, unfortunately, but that will be awhile.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I love how E100 is less than E85

Ethanol has already lost. It's just a matter of time before it's gone, unfortunately, but that will be awhile.
You and me both! That mixed with my content sensor makes it really nice to make sure I have at least 85. This particular gas station doesn't run a winter blend of E85 so it's not ever an issue unless I'm letting some pump gas in the mix.

The owner has said that the E85 and E100 isn't going anywhere, but if his supply stops, that's obviously out of his control.

·
Banned
853 Posts
You and me both! That mixed with my content sensor makes it really nice to make sure I have at least 85. This particular gas station doesn't run a winter blend of E85 so it's not ever an issue unless I'm letting some pump gas in the mix.
Wow, that's a nice setup. I wish there was someplace like that close to me. We only get real E85 a few months a year here.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I hope not...
I'm thinking about making the conversion
I'm in CA
but I guess I can see that as there are only a few stations that have E85.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts

The owner has said that the E85 and E100 isn't going anywhere, but if his supply stops, that's obviously out of his control.
Yeah, a subaru customer of mine has a childhood friend that works at some blending plant in NY or NJ.

All this guy does is blend e100 into regular gasoline. (to make e10 fuel) Pretty awesome job.

We get 5 gallon containers of e100 from him all the time ;)

Really didn't want to say anything until the project moved forward more, but EcuTek is working on getting the GM ethanol sensor that everyone uses for that zetronix gauge wired into the ECU to make the R35 GTR a true Flex-Fuel vehicle.

We sent them the entire zetronix setup a few weeks ago but I'm told they won't be doing much with it until the Launch Control stuff is 100%

-John

·
O_o
1,657 Posts
We have been getting more and more e85 pumps in Indiana lately. 2 years ago there were only a handful of stations and now it seems like its on every corner

·
Registered
519 Posts
Just lost the E85 from the station next to my house a couple weeks ago. Now it's a 22 mile round trip for E85 which has me switching back to 93.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts