Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Guys, just want to let you know some info on the variants of these 4S tires. A while back I ordered a full set of 295-35-20 MPS4S from Discount Tire Direct and noticed 1 tire seemed a tad wider. Apparently 1 tire had a different part number even though it was "295-35-20". I called Michelin's customer service and was told "Sir, my data shows they're all the same size so you'll need to contact your seller ". Its obvious these sales reps don't know sh!t (see attachments for details).

I did test fit them and you can tell a big difference in fitment and the "K1" version are stiffer due to larger side walls and over a full pound heavier! The more we know.....

Attachments

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
Thanks for posting this with pictures which plainly show there is a difference with various tire models within the same size. The prices are different and sometimes the tread depth and tread width specs are different.

All this is because a manufacturer will decide they want a certain spec for the tire used on their car. To me the Ferrari K1 version is different and seems to be worth the extra cost once mounted.

Sometimes too the tires may be made in different countries for each model or the manufacture dates may not match.

Tire companies also aren't that accurate with tire specs, there are variances that aren't reported in every case so buyer beware.

Just imagine if you had a set of newish tires and got damage to one then needed a replacement to match- maybe not so easy or not an exact match.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is the OD the same on all?
Yes the standard and the K1 visually looks to be the same in overall diameter. I forgot to mention that the rain channels on the K1's are wider as well.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Great thread, thanks!

it seems the K1 would be possibly a better performer but the more square nature in my mind would wear much faster...not sure just a guess. Any concerns with clearance it's the K1s??

Let us know how they last OP!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.