Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an '09 that I've had at the track several times, including last Friday. As usual, I had to fill up part way through the day, but with unusual results. The gas pump cut off automatically, and when I removed the nozzle from the car I had a HUGE backwash of gasoline down the side of the car and down the pavement. I would estimate 1-2 gallons. It slowed to a trickle after about five minutes, at which point I put the cap on. It was a hot day (90 degrees- hot for Calgary) and the tank had gotten down to about 1/8 full. I'm wondering if the fuel tank got hot enough to vaporize some of the gas when it entered the tank, thus expanding and causing the backwash. All I know is the car was hot as hell from lapping,and I could imagine it going up in a ball of flames- especially when I got in and hit the ignition button. Has anybody else seen or heard of this?.

·
R36 Member
796 Posts
Whoa man, you have every right to be concerned...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turbo-

I didn't notice anything different, but it was a big, noisy truck stop/gas station.

·
What is six times nine?
1,277 Posts
There are/were some threads on this, but I don't know where. I believe it is a problem associated with the evap cannister & valve. Get your master tech to either/both look it up and/or talk to Nissan Tech line.

More common during tracking is a very strong in-car gas smell due to the evap cannister being filled up (I had mine replaced under warranty; my brother still gets the smell), and after tracking an empty tank not taking enough gas to be filled up (hasn't happened to me, but has happened to my brother a few times).

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I had this happen to me once before while on my way to the TX2K11 event. My co-driver was filling the car up and AFTER the handle clicked the first time, he kept trying to "top it off" with exactly the same results as you. I sat there and watched about 2 gallons of gas pore out, and down the side of my car. Sketchy part was some of the fuel was draining out my fender liner.....very close to my hot exhaust pipes.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Common problem.

Not fixed with the EVAP canister recall.

Still does it.

I had a black flag at VIR due to it. Ruined a damn good hot lap over it.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I had this happen to me once before while on my way to the TX2K11 event. My co-driver was filling the car up and AFTER the handle clicked the first time, he kept trying to "top it off" with exactly the same results as you. I sat there and watched about 2 gallons of gas pore out, and down the side of my car. Sketchy part was some of the fuel was draining out my fender liner.....very close to my hot exhaust pipes.
I had this happen to my 2012 one of the first times I filled it up. I let the pump click and tried to top it off (like I do with my truck, and previus cars), after about two seconds the car was pouring gas out.

That was the last time I tried to top it off, now I let the pump click and that it, lesson leaned.

·
Founder/Admin
26,252 Posts
yup once it clicks...dont try to put gas in it.... i mean i went to put gas in mine inbetween autoX sessions and it clicked at like 3-4 gallons... and i knew to stop or gas would start shooting out

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to be clear- in this case I did NOT do any extra clicks. I saw the directive against that a long time ago. I let the pump turn itself off, pulled out the nozzle, and then the flood came.

·
Founder/Admin
26,252 Posts
Just to be clear- in this case I did NOT do any extra clicks. I saw the directive against that a long time ago. I let the pump turn itself off, pulled out the nozzle, and then the flood came.
yeah i mean you can get this with out the extra clicks... to be honest i only fill my car up if its been sitting like over night.... if im out driving it around and need gas i put maybe half a tank in

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I have overfilled mine with extra clicks and gas pour out everywhere. Won't make mistake again. Now I get a strong gas smell every now and then after a long drive. Doesn't have to be an aggressive drive.

·
CMD
1,130 Posts
Common problem.

Not fixed with the EVAP canister recall.

Still does it.

I had a black flag at VIR due to it. Ruined a damn good hot lap over it.

Shawn
^ Shawn gets the cookie out of the bunch: None of the recalls permanently fix this. I believe the earlier discussions mentioned that this had to do with the original gas tank design that Nissan has subsequently changed.

I had this happen twice so far and all within the first 6 months of ownership. Hasn't happened in a long, long time since then though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts