Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm beginning to look for a GT-R after I rented one for a drive up in the mountains and loved it!

I've been gathering information and it looks like for a supercar the GT-R is quite reasonable on maintenance costs and ownership in general.

At this point I have narrowed my potential vehicle down to a 2017+ Premium.

I've come from high horsepower Subarus and am familiar with the drawbacks of highly modified cars so I will be keeping my GT-R very close to stock. The most I foresee doing to it is FBO.

Given the year, model, and FBO .... is there anything else that you wish you had known prior to getting your GT-R? What would you tell a friend who was considering getting a GT-R? What should I prepare for financially after the purchase?

Thank you all for the help!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
A few things that may help:
- Get an insurance quote. I pay $120 a month but some people pay far more than that Im sure a few less as well
- Definitely go FBO or at least exhaust and tune
- Do your research and be patient for the cleanest, low mileage best deal you can find
- Everything on the car will be more expensive than the standard tuner cars. GTR tax is real. Low production car so ya

·
Registered
165 Posts
What would you tell a friend who was considering getting a GT-R? What should I prepare for financially after the purchase?
I'll focus on ^that^ portion of your post.

If you haven't already, invest in floor jack/ jack stands and other tools so that you can do some maintenance yourself. I was intimidated myself when I first got the car, but now Oil, brake pads, brake bleeds, and some other smaller components are a breeze and have saved me tons of money. Plan out your maintenance schedule and consider some of the heavy hitters in advance. I save some money on the side for things like diff / trans flush, tires, and new rotors. If you don't prepare in advance for those costs, it will be painful. The advice above about insurance is a good one too, Shop around.

Good luck! Read lots of fourms on the basics too!

·
Nismo Owners Car Club
2,320 Posts
Maintenance on your GTR is based on how you drive it. Will you track it? Do you drive to the 9's every time you drive?

Where are you located at? Find people that have hook ups and you'll gain from that.

Don't forget about smog if you're in a state that is serious with that. good luck.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
If you go FBO, make sure you have a tuner that knows the limits of the stock engine and trans. You want to keep the torque under 600 or you will be looking at damaging either or both, which is an expensive fix.

I think you have more risk is you go E85 on an FBO upgrade, so the tuning on that is even more important.

You can search this site for a lot of good information.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ive had my 17 for about 6 months and 3k miles. Been great so far but Ive started ordering parts to go fbo. As stated above tuner is very important. Other than that the maintenance is similar to any other car. But gtr tax definitely exists, everything is super expensive so try to do as much as you can yourself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info.

I will probably be doing a lot of the basic maintenance as I'm comfortable working on about any car.

As for driving conditions it will be most a daily driver that seems a canyon cruise about once a month and a track a few times a year.

As for FBO & E54 (crap here in AZ) what are people finding as the limitation of the system in terms of hp & tq while running fairly sticky Rcomp tires?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Change the crappy stock Dunlops

·
Registered
566 Posts
These cars are pretty reliable at FBO and below power levels with a safe tune. The most expensive maintenance items are the following:

Trans and diff fluid change
Rotors
Tires

When I bought my first GT-R, it was due for all three of the above in the first few months I had it. With my 2nd GT-R, everything was fresh so a year later now and maintenance costs have been minimal thus far.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have put about 4,000 miles on my 19 premium, so far I'd echo the tire wear--I drive embarrassingly conservatively as I'm in traffic or highway driving 95% of the time and I still recon I'm going to go through the shit OEM tires VERY quickly based on tread wear so far.

Insurance premiums are very high--IMO its worth taking a look at a guaranteed value policy (Hagerty, Grundy, etc) as in my case it was actually cheaper vs Geico however it was a second vehicle on that policy. Still, costs only a little less to insure than far higher priced exotics.

Having had a Gen V viper before I ran into the same issue of where to get the car serviced. You generally don't want to take things like this to a dealer unless you know they have a good tech. So far I brought mine back to a dealer I heard good things about for the complimentary GT-R service at 1K miles and met the tech and felt decently good about it, but for my oil changes I found a good local shop and just bring them filter+amsoil.

You will occasionally run across a major GT-R fan out in the wild who will chase you down breathlessly across 3 lanes of traffic to tell you this is their dream car and obsessively ask which Takumi made your engine and all manner of other things. I generally will open the car, let them sit in it, go over everything, and take the time to engage. It's a major privilege and it feels good to make the world more positive if even for a second by allowing someone else to gain happiness from the car.

My car is bone stock and I plan to keep it that way but can absolutely understand why people do even just a simple tune. Prepare for the desire to modify.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
All gtrs must at least get a midpipe and tune. Otherwise they sound terrible imho

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for everything guys. My plans got pushed out about a year due to covid. But I'm now looking at about 6 cars.

Wondering if there's any more advice out there?

Is there a way to determine how many times the car has been launched without the ECUTek cable?

In the 2017 - 2020 model years is there any known issues to make sure I have specifically checked out?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
The longer you wait the more expensive they are going to get ,I was just like you back in 2012 and 2016! I ended up picking up a brand new 2017 and 4 years later pick up a Nismo before the prices when crazy .So if you think the prices are going to go down my maybe waiting for a long time.
2015 are going for 92k + stock.

Good luck I hope you find one .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
The longer you wait the more expensive they are going to get. So if you think the prices are going to go down my maybe waiting for a long time.

^ +1

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The longer you wait the more expensive they are going to get ,I was just like you back in 2012 and 2016! I ended up picking up a brand new 2017 and 4 years later pick up a Nismo before the prices when crazy .So if you think the prices are going to go down my maybe waiting for a long time.

Thanks for info.
I wish I could've said that it was my choice to delay my purchase...

But Now I've got a 2021 due to a recent job change :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts