Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
10,313 Posts
Do it - helps with wear. Remember on a flat surface and if tuned return your CC/TP to zero before.

Reactions: alexdavis

· Premium Member
2,119 Posts
As explained to me in the past, there's no such thing as doing a relearn too often. I do a relearn every time I feel the drivetrain gets noisier. It helps quiet down some of the rattles.

dropptop: can u please explain the second point?
The clutch capacities and touch points can be set to different values if you have a Cobb or EcuTek TCM tune. Those values should be reset to zero before starting the relearn.

Reactions: droptopp

· Registered
10,313 Posts
^ [mention]kholdstare [/mention] : see above and below explanation on CC/TP settings.

· Registered
10,313 Posts
Clutch relearn is a process instigated inside the transmission by either the NIssan Consult III dealer equipment or a Cobb Accessport or Ecutek aftermarket tuning kit.

It involves the transmission learning the pressures required to move components as well as the point at which the clutch frictions touch.

The reason for being able to do a relearn is that over time the components of the transmission wear and parameters such as the thickness of the clutch plates changes.

You will want to be on a level surface to keep the clutch faces as even as possible.

· Alberta Oil & Gas
5,799 Posts
Like droptopp mentioned . Wear and tear from use (modified or not) justifies a clutch relearn - Nissan dealerships included the relearn in the 3 offered POS services on newly purchased GTR’s.
So yeah, if you don’t have COBB or Ecutec and the last relearn was the 3rd POS service. You may opt to get one done. All part of the GTR’s preventative Maintenance.

· Registered
10,313 Posts

· Registered
183 Posts
Super noob question...

wife and I both have completely stock GT-Rs with no tune of any kind. (And we prefer to keep it that way) Would borrowing somebody else's ecutek or Cobb just for a clutch relearn cause any kind of flash/ reset ECU/ void warranty?

We are doing transmission drain/fill/filter DIY soon and want to include a clutch relearn in the near future.

· Registered
10,313 Posts
No issue with warranty, but not sure borrowing someone’s will allow an install and clutch relearn.

Don’t know enough about Ecutek but know you need a key married to the car and model year.

Fun toys for the two of you - GTR/NSX combo here

· Registered
382 Posts
Super noob question...

wife and I both have completely stock GT-Rs with no tune of any kind. (And we prefer to keep it that way) Would borrowing somebody else's ecutek or Cobb just for a clutch relearn cause any kind of flash/ reset ECU/ void warranty?

We are doing transmission drain/fill/filter DIY soon and want to include a clutch relearn in the near future.
I can only speak for an unmarried cobb. I bought a used unmarried (never married to my car) cobb just to do clutch relearns. I do not believe it will affect the ECU or warranty.

I do not know if a married cobb with work just for the clutch relearn process on another car.

· Registered
1,932 Posts
Also keep in mind for “void” warranties, a problem must be assessed as being attributed to a particular mod and be adjudicated by Nissan HQ to actually void it. If a tune is detected but it had nothing to do with a problem, your warranty on that problem is still good.

· Registered
10,313 Posts
Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Enjoy and wouldn’t hurt to run a stage 1 OTS map even on a stock car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts