Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I have them on my Gallardo, lighter than the stock Gallardo rotors, not sure about the GT-R though....

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
I had Girodisc rotors on my competition Evo. They definitely are good quality & saved weight per corner, but am not sure if these will also be lighter than OEM.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
from the link........

The Girodisc front rotors are approx 17.4lbs vs. 23.5lbs for the stock units. This reduction in rotational and unsprung weight allows for quicker acceleration and suspension response.....

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
Our rotors are made for the 09-11 GTR. Unfortunately, we don't have any test data for you but our rotors really do speak for themselves. Feel free to do reviews on any online forum out there that we make parts for (our most popular being Evo, STi, & Porsche) and you will see that our products go above and beyond the competitors like AP racing, etc. Our hats are 100% made in the USA and use hardware that fully floats the rotor as opposed to many competitors bolted 2-piece designs. Our rotors are designed to withstand the highest temps possible and we have many guys running these on full race applications including Ferrari Challenge cars.

Let me know if there are any other questions I can answer for you. We'd love to get everyone in the GTR world on-board with our rotors… we can assure you that you'll be more than satisfied with what we offer. Thanks!
from what i can remember they do have great reviews on other cars.

·
Auto detailer
297 Posts
I know from my recent putting to exotic racing to check the cars out at Vegas that their GT had them as well as every Lamborghini and I think Ferrari. And after the morning with them those cars definitely get put through the ringer. I had them also on my evo x and worked great, but I also went from a one piece rotor to a two piece slotted so the difference I'd assume would be a lot bigger.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
it will help to reduce the temperature around the piston/boots/seals area and won't diminish clearance for the pads
What is the thickness of the titanium pad shields? Do they wear out with regular track heating cycles like stainless pad shields do, or are they a permanent solution? I have found that stainless pad shields do not last as long as I would have thought before they become brittle.

·
<"))))><
3,706 Posts
Seems like an interesting solution. Roughly the same price as the J-hooks but come with a new hat and are much lighter weight (I believe the J-hooks are heavier or same weight as OE?)

·
Registered
171 Posts
What is the thickness of the titanium pad shields? Do they wear out with regular track heating cycles like stainless pad shields do, or are they a permanent solution? I have found that stainless pad shields do not last as long as I would have thought before they become brittle.
We haven't tested them yet on a GT-R. However, I have those in a Evo X. Had several track days and daily driving on them, they work pretty well just like shims supposed to do. I will contact GiroDisc and see if they have actual data for the shims.

·
Premium Member
4,601 Posts
They are lighter. I'm getting them for my gt-r. I put them on the murcialogo. Awesome stuff and Martin is cool as hell! Call him and he will explain everything to you. Even pads for your type of driving.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I just noticed on GiroDiscs website they say:
The Girodisc system is a direct replacement for the OE disc when used with a any 62mm or shorter brake pad made for the Brembo type M caliper. The factory pad height is 66mm and will NOT work with this rotor. We do this for two reasons, first and foremost the pad prices of the shorter pads are significantly less than the OEM size pads. The Ferodo DS2500 pads that we sell for this application are 59mm and $120 less than the 66mm versions, a significant savings we'd like to pass along to our customers. Secondly the larger hat and smaller rotor anulus result in a lighter overall rotor with zero drawbacks in braking performance.

Does this mean there is less pad material making contact with the rotor? If so, wouldn't this reducing braking performance?

·
Registered
278 Posts
The Girodisc system is a direct replacement for the OE disc when used with a any 62mm or shorter brake pad made for the Brembo type M caliper. The factory pad height is 66mm and will NOT work with this rotor. We do this for two reasons, first and foremost the pad prices of the shorter pads are significantly less than the OEM size pads. The Ferodo DS2500 pads that we sell for this application are 59mm and $120 less than the 66mm versions, a significant savings we'd like to pass along to our customers. Secondly the larger hat and smaller rotor anulus result in a lighter overall rotor with zero drawbacks in braking performance.

Does this mean there is less pad material making contact with the rotor? If so, wouldn't this reducing braking performance?
When it comes to "Stock' or "Direct" replacement, the parts are supposed to be dimensionally identical to the stock, except some welcome improvement such as increasing rotor thickness e.g. to 34mm vs. OE's 32.6 for 2012 rotor and reduce the diameter just enough to eliminate the undesirable rusty lips on the rotor edge provided these improvement are incorporated w/o affecting its matching components such as rotor hat or brake pads.

Making two piece stock replacement rotors require much more development efforts (in design) and tooling ($investment) than building brake kits (caliper+rotor), due to the variety of caliper and brake pads against which the rotor are used. More so is the rotor casting which requires major investment on tooling (sand core and casting process) which is not any "brake mfgr" can and want to commit.

As a leader in the performance industry for two piece stock replacement, I would however disapprove any statement or claim that can mislead the consumer for such deviation is to benefit consumers, while in fact is to compensate their inability to comply to OE specs.

Due to brake is a consumable item, so my advice is to stay with "stock", and keep the replacement as low level as possible, for example rotor ring replacement is a better option than rotor assembly (ring+hat), and two piece rotor is better than brake kit - for the freedom of choice and low maintenance/replacement cost in the long run.

We are frequently inquired by enthusiasts who purchased aftermarket brake kits, and when the rotors need replacement they found out either cost them a lot, or can no longer locate the suppliers (brake packagers). To serve these customers we offer replacement rotor rings & pads for Brembo, Stoptech & others here which RB is known for more durable than original yet at fraction of their cost.

Be a knowledgeable buyer, do more research before you buy.

·
Registered
383 Posts

+1 to this. I would think a smaller connection surface between the pad and rotor will result in poor heat dispersion. The GTR has a hard time managing heat with the larger 66mm pad+rotor contact patch. I would not recommend making them smaller in an effort to save weight. At least not for a tracked GTR.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.