Nissan GT-R Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
I ❤️ Oil & Gas
5,619 Posts
I wonder, if McLaren can put this VRH engine in their production cars, why can't Nissan put it in their R36?
There needs to be a R36 first lol :shiftdrive:

·
Nismo Owners Car Club
2,259 Posts
bump on this, wanna see how the OP is doing with the 720.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
All good so far!

I've had a steering column error that went away on it's own and a headlight levelling error that also went away on it's own.

I've done my first upgrade - the car is now on Michelin Cup 2s on the front and Cup 2 Rs on the rear.

I enjoy every second of driving it - it's amazing. I've probably done about 1000 miles and did a stint on the Nürburgring GP in it. I'm not as fast as I was in my GT-R yet, but I'm getting there.

I'd say about 50% of 720S owners have owned a GT-R in the past - and about half of them still own a GT-R.

Everyone who owns a GT-R should go for a test drive in one.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Does it have a Nissan engine like the Senna does? If so, you're still driving a Nissan in a way.
McLaren basically only have one engine - originally 3.8l in the MP4-12C and as a 4.0 in the 720S and others.

It was originally designed by Tom Walkinshaw Racing for use in Indycar - they sold the designs to McLaren and it was developed for road use with Ricardo who make the engines.

It's based on a Nissan V8 block, so yes it's sort of Nissan. The turbos are from Mitsubishi, so some Evo DNA in there too.

Here's an interesting article:

https://jalopnik.com/this-20-year-old-nissan-is-the-origin-of-all-of-mclaren-1793155467

It's a great engine so far - I hope it continues to be for a long time.

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
McLaren basically only have one engine - originally 3.8l in the MP4-12C and as a 4.0 in the 720S and others.

It was originally designed by Tom Walkinshaw Racing for use in Indycar - they sold the designs to McLaren and it was developed for road use with Ricardo who make the engines.

It's based on a Nissan V8 block, so yes it's sort of Nissan. The turbos are from Mitsubishi, so some Evo DNA in there too.

Here's an interesting article:

https://jalopnik.com/this-20-year-old-nissan-is-the-origin-of-all-of-mclaren-1793155467

It's a great engine so far - I hope it continues to be for a long time.
I will tell the wife i'm just getting another Nissan!!! :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
324 Posts
I will tell the wife i'm just getting another Nissan!!! :shiftdrive:
LoL!
I'm trying to slide one under the radar as well. Unfortunately I'm in dire space shortage. Got myself an Aprilia bike meanwhile. Still on the fence for a 720s or R8 V10 performance.

To the OP: happy to hear you enjoy the car!

·
Nismo Owners Car Club
2,259 Posts
good to hear!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So far there's not even a split second where I think to myself 'I wonder what it would be like if I'd have bought XYZ instead'.

Ask McLaren if you can go for a test drive in one - you will be blown away, I'm sure.

Once the tires are warm, put the car into 'Track/Track' and things just go mental. It's almost like the car has a mind of it's own.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts