Nissan GT-R Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Nissan GT-R Premium
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
whoot whoot! My rods showed up yesterday, both pistons and rods are a bit lighter than my old set. That's going to result in a slight overbalance on my rotating assembly (I was at 50% before). Gonna send it!
Photograph Light Font Body jewelry Personal protective equipment

·
Registered
2013 Nissan GT-R Premium
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
This sucks! - no matter how many of these I have, I always seem to need a size I don't have - Back to waiting on Nissan to ship me the 2 lifter sizes I need!
Laptop Cuisine Metal Personal computer Fashion accessory

·
Registered
10,314 Posts
Sounds like you’ll be up by the end of the month - plenty of time for shenanigans.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am excited for this build, very similar setup to mine so I want to see where you take it. I feel your pain on back order parts, I waited almost 4 months for a gearset to get my trans back together, hopefully shipping this week. What Rods did you have in before the standard t-tuff 4340's? If so just wondering while you had both in hands if there was a way to differentiate them while they were in the car, change in rod bolt or color or marking or something, I see the new ones say 300m on the side, but that would be impossible to see in the motor.

·
Registered
2013 Nissan GT-R Premium
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I am excited for this build, very similar setup to mine so I want to see where you take it. I feel your pain on back order parts, I waited almost 4 months for a gearset to get my trans back together, hopefully shipping this week. What Rods did you have in before the standard t-tuff 4340's? If so just wondering while you had both in hands if there was a way to differentiate them while they were in the car, change in rod bolt or color or marking or something, I see the new ones say 300m on the side, but that would be impossible to see in the motor.
yes - I did the original build with a set of the Manley 4340 TurboTuff rods. Seemed like a good fit given the turbo kit choice. Definitely not enough safety margin for the Elite Prime capabilities though!

The 300M rods are embossed with 300M - you can see these markings in the picture I posted above. Not sure if the marks will stay in place given an agitated oil bath.

John-

·
Registered
2013 Nissan GT-R Premium
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Wish my after-work projects could go faster! Between long work hours, Family Time, Honey-Dos and Yard work this project feels like it is dragging along way too slow!
Art Automotive design Sculpture Font Machine
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting
Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2013 Nissan GT-R Premium
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Sure is nice to hear that first engine start after a serious upgrade project! Stronger internals, bigger cams and a Cicio Elite Prime 58mm turbo kit. The tune is still a bit ragged, initial impression is this is going to be a fun combination after the breakin and final tune.
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Light Gear Automotive tire Household hardware Font
Laptop Personal computer Computer Wood Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bottle Automotive wheel system Vehicle
Automotive air manifold Motor vehicle Gas Machine Nut
Black Wood Automotive tire Insect Mole salamander

·
Registered
10,314 Posts
Prime 58’s are going to be a blast once you get the tune dialed in.

Congrats !!

·
Registered
2013 Nissan GT-R Premium
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Yesterday I drove to English Racing (3 hours each way) and had Aaron there dial in my tune - To recap, these are the changes I've made to the car since removing the SBD900 turbo kit:

Upgraded the 4340 Manley Rods to a set of 300m Manley rods
changed from Manley to Wiseco pistons
changed valve springs from Tomei to GSC street springs
changed from Kelford 231a cams to GSC S2
Had the heads O-Ringed and a brace bolt installed (Thanks ER)
Installed a set of 3.5" downpipes to help backpressure given the new internally gated turbo kit
Installed a set of BDE poly motor mounts.
And of course the Cicio/TSM Elite Prime 58mm Xona turbo kit. (fresh rebuild curtesy of Forced Performance)

Car Land vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design
Font Line Display device Technology Electronic device
Rectangle Slope Line Font Parallel

Comparing this setup to the g25-660 kit, looks like I am giving up about 400rpm spool (comparing each to 20psi) The new kit obviously pulls MUCH harder up top!

I'm pretty happy with the results of my home garage project. I think I've put together a street car combination that should hold together for a good long time. I have one more component I need - a set of DSS rear axles, I think I'll get a set on order Monday!

John-

·
Registered
2013 Nissan GT-R Premium
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
T1R on point as usual - These got to me in record time! Hopefully this is the last upgrade I'll need for a while:
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Gas Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Asphalt Art

·
Registered
2013 Nissan GT-R Premium
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Well Dang! - Went to a local 1/4 mile event last weekend and looks like I broke a clutch basket! or maybe a shift fork! No R or odd gears and a P283C.

Huge Thank You to ER/Lucas for dragging my busted car to his shop. Looks like it'll be a couple weeks before they can squeeze me in for a diagnosis/repair.

If its clutch basket thinking about upgrading to Promax 10 plate - Anyone care to weigh in on drivability of this clutch?

John-

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well Dang! - Went to a local 1/4 mile event last weekend and looks like I broke a clutch basket! or maybe a shift fork! No R or odd gears and a P283C.

Huge Thank You to ER/Lucas for dragging my busted car to his shop. Looks like it'll be a couple weeks before they can squeeze me in for a diagnosis/repair.

If its clutch basket thinking about upgrading to Promax 10 plate - Anyone care to weigh in on drivability of this clutch?

John-
Sorry to hear your car broke. I saw it on Sunday and it was looking great there parked in the pit! I can't say exactly for the Promax 10 plate but the 12 plate drives just fine other than the clutch B makes the typical noise in the upshift to 3rd and 5th. But I hardly notice it anymore. No problems driving it around town and in traffic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the 18plate from Jacks and other than the clutch noise once and a while in 3rd its very drivable. Its all in the TCM tune.

·
Registered
2015 White on Black Premium: 1436whp/1054wtq on E90, built by Cicio North
707 Posts

John-
[/QUOTE]

What gearset do you have in your trans now? I've had some convos with John @ Shep and he advised me unless you have PPG's or Dodson Extremes, he doesn't recommend only changing the clutch to a Promax. I have a Shep 1k with PPGs and he was on the fence about advising me to just do a Promax 10/10 to make my trans as close to a Stage 4 or sell my 1k and start over with the newest tech. He will absolutely do it if you insist. I guess Albins and Dodson HD are not up to the higher torque figures associated with going to a Promax clutch. I'd be interested to hear what he tells you, given your situation.

Reactions: Wicked

·
Registered
2013 Nissan GT-R Premium
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Sorry to hear your car broke. I saw it on Sunday and it was looking great there parked in the pit! I can't say exactly for the Promax 10 plate but the 12 plate drives just fine other than the clutch B makes the typical noise in the upshift to 3rd and 5th. But I hardly notice it anymore. No problems driving it around town and in traffic.
Thanks for the input - I definitely want a setup that isn't over-aggressive as I still drive the car a lot! to be honest, even the 10 plate is overkill for my goals.

I have the 18plate from Jacks and other than the clutch noise once and a while in 3rd its very drivable. Its all in the TCM tune.
Jacks 18plate is my current clutch - streetability was awesome.

John-
What gearset do you have in your trans now? I've had some convos with John @ Shep and he advised me unless you have PPG's or Dodson Extremes, he doesn't recommend only changing the clutch to a Promax. I have a Shep 1k with PPGs and he was on the fence about advising me to just do a Promax 10/10 to make my trans as close to a Stage 4 or sell my 1k and start over with the newest tech. He will absolutely do it if you insist. I guess Albins and Dodson HD are not up to the higher torque figures associated with going to a Promax clutch. I'd be interested to hear what he tells you, given your situation.
[/QUOTE]

My transmission has a Linney gearset in it - I honestly have no plans of going bigger, the 58mm Xonas I'm running now are absolutely scary on street tires, and still a handfull on drag radials!

At this point It's a waiting game to find out if it is a clutch issue - or a shift fork.

Thanks everyone for the input.
John-

·
Registered
641 Posts
I've been following your thread for quite some time now. You've been a great example of a diy!! I actually started to build mine as well. Our builds are very similar. Unfortunately, I don't have enough knowledge or the correct tools to do the short block so I opted for a Lynch stage 2, which also has the Manley 300Ms and Wiseco Pistons. Everything else though was very similar. I opted for the AMS Omega 11 as I wanted more response than absolute power. Around NYC, there's barely enough space to do an open run here and there. LOL! Best of Luck on everything and can't wait to see more updates!!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts