Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm interested in buying a GT-R Nismo for daily driving and track use at least once a month. I have never owned a GT-R, however, I have driven them on several occations. If you own a GT-R Nismo and track it, is it good? Have you had any problems with the car? Have you had good customer service from Nissan? Did you pay over MSRP? I apologize if I'm asking silly questions, but if i'm spending ~$180,000 on a car I want it to be great. I have also considered the Chevrolet Corvette Z06 with the Z07 package, as it's less money and is able to produce similar lap times. If you think there is anything else I should know about the car, then let me know.

Thank you

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have never tracked my Nismo but I hear it is great. I have had no problems except I have a minor squeak coming from my drivers side front brake after having my 1000 mile service alignment. I am having that fixed this week or next. The customer service level depends on the dealer you get it from. I bought mine at Koeppel Nissan in NY and they were great people picking me up at the airport and had all paperwork ready and I was out the door in 20 mins or less. I paid MSRP. If you spend 180k+ on the car go buy something else that would be equal or more fun ie. Porsche GT3RS or the like. I bought the Nismo so I could take my toddler out on long weekend drives. If I couldn't get it at MSRP I was looking at a 991 Turbo. Lap times don't mean shit because you won't match them. I know I never will match the Nurburgring time even with the N-Attack kit. The car is just a car so drive it and enjoy it.

Ryan

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
I have never tracked my Nismo but I hear it is great. I have had no problems except I have a minor squeak coming from my drivers side front brake after having my 1000 mile service alignment. I am having that fixed this week or next. The customer service level depends on the dealer you get it from. I bought mine at Koeppel Nissan in NY and they were great people picking me up at the airport and had all paperwork ready and I was out the door in 20 mins or less. I paid MSRP. If you spend 180k+ on the car go buy something else that would be equal or more fun ie. Porsche GT3RS or the like. I bought the Nismo so I could take my toddler out on long weekend drives. If I couldn't get it at MSRP I was looking at a 991 Turbo. Lap times don't mean shit because you won't match them. I know I never will match the Nurburgring time even with the N-Attack kit. The car is just a car so drive it and enjoy it.

Ryan
I agree with all of these comments. Enjoy your NISMO GTR! You will never get a GT3RS for $180K unless its an 07 and even those are selling very strong!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hello,

I'm interested in buying a GT-R Nismo for daily driving and track use at least once a month. I have never owned a GT-R, however, I have driven them on several occations. If you own a GT-R Nismo and track it, is it good? Have you had any problems with the car? Have you had good customer service from Nissan? Did you pay over MSRP? I apologize if I'm asking silly questions, but if i'm spending ~$180,000 on a car I want it to be great. I have also considered the Chevrolet Corvette Z06 with the Z07 package, as it's less money and is able to produce similar lap times. If you think there is anything else I should know about the car, then let me know.

Thank you
I got the pleasure to be in a NISMO recently. As a dedicated track toy, it's incredible. However, after getting out of the NISMO and back into my premium, I noticed immediately that I preferred my GTR as a DD and it has more than enough power for a few track events per year. Personally, I wouldn't be able to take advantage of what the NISMO does best and that it why I would pass. For others, it's a no brainer and makes sense for them.

180k is a lot of money and so many options become available at that price point. I would seriously take my time a test drive a lot of cars before pulling the trigger on NISMO.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Buy a regular gTR, put 7k into it and blow the doors off a nismo on the street and at the track!

Sent from my iPhone using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Founder/Admin
26,244 Posts
Hello,

Thank you
As track car its truly astonishing. ive had a 09 a 12 and now the NISMO so that gives me a good perspective and its on another level. there is just no understeer from the car and the steering is just so precise. Ive gone back and watched my videos and was amazed how little input i was giving the car. the extra power also shows up on the track more than it will on the dragstrip or spirited driving on the streets and on the same track I was probably 7mph + faster on the end of each straight

As for Daily driving and this is just me I wouldnt recommend it for a few reasons. first of all the car feels more fragile as in for example the front bumper and lip together make up around $22K in carbon so any fender bender or scrape up will be catastrophic in the NISMO not to mention a long wait for replacement parts. Another reason is the suspension is so stiff it finds every groove in the road that you constantly need to make micro adjustments in the steering. with that said the overall feeling of daily driving is similar to the regular GTR and im sure a handful of NISMO owers daily drive it but just my opinion on it was its not made for that and I went out and bought a dedicated daily just because I had the NISMO

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Great information with perspective.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've only had mine for 2 months...drive it to work every day and LOVE it.
No plans to track it though...

I haven't had any issues...
Customer service has been good...
I paid MSRP...exactly

The reason I didn't go with a Z06 is because I didn't want to see 20 that looked exactly like mine on the way to work everyday.

Good Luck!

·
R35 member
3,086 Posts
I've only had mine for 2 months...drive it to work every day and LOVE it.
No plans to track it though...

I haven't had any issues...
Customer service has been good...
I paid MSRP...exactly

The reason I didn't go with a Z06 is because I didn't want to see 20 that looked exactly like mine on the way to work everyday.

Good Luck!
Awesome. I wish there was a rec button for this. 2 thumbs up.

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
42 Posts
I moved from a '13 premium to a '16 Nismo and am very happy with it as a daily driver.

MSRP all the way.

I love the updates and you can really feel the difference so it has been all up side for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
NISMO! For a daily driver.

(Golf clap)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Nismo as a DD, I love this! YOLO

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for your input on this. I have decieded against this particular Nismo as the dealer was being very greedy and I can't find any others without a massive premium. I have also ruled out the Z06, as some of you have already mentioned, the car is common and I would like the car to be special. I am now considering a used 2015 Porsche 911 GT3. I haven't completly ruled out the Nismo, it's just a matter of finding one in budget.

Again, that you all for your help!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Thank you all for your input on this. I have decieded against this particular Nismo as the dealer was being very greedy and I can't find any others without a massive premium.
It sucks that it always comes down to the dealer, that's why car buying is not really a good experience for those who are actually educated about the price.

I truly believe car manufacturers will sell more cars if they cut out the dealer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry about that man. I passed on one for a similar reason but was fortunate to have another show up in my market without the premium a few months later. Maybe you will run into the same good fortune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
536 Posts
It sucks that it always comes down to the dealer, that's why car buying is not really a good experience for those who are actually educated about the price.

I truly believe car manufacturers will sell more cars if they cut out the dealer.

Agree. That is what Tesla is trying to do and wow what resistance from the established dealers. Got to wonder if the stealerships are shaking in their boots with what is inevitable IMHO.

·
R35 member
3,086 Posts
Joke?

Even the rs is nothing against the carbon on the nismo.
Yeah I found that a little strange as well but to each their own. A 911 gt3 might be cheaper to fix if you were to go off the track in it.

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Joke?

Even the rs is nothing against the carbon on the nismo.
It'S subjective....But the vast majority of the people will appreciate the GT3 more than even the Nismo GTR. What the GT3 has over the GTR is not absolute power and acceleration, it's the driving experience.

Now of course, a hardcore GTR fan will say the opposite just like a hardcore Porsche fan would...But for those in between, I would say they lean slightly towards the GT3. No need to feel bad if not everyone loves the GTR like you do though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts