Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After selling my 997.2 GT3, I'm thinking -- obsessing, really -- of a '12 or '13 GTR. After years of Porsches, the mystique finally left. As an engineer I know once said after a string of 911s, "I'm cured." Porsche has made some fine cars, but unfortunately they position themselves as a company who "has made some fine cars." Now I want a sports car that represents the best efforts at thinking and engineering, and I'm not interested in the badge. Also, something that is a car first and foremost -- one with back seats and all weather capability -- and that so happens also to be a supercar. Anyway, I'm sure you folks have heard your share of conversion stories. Mind you, though, I still have not actually driven a GTR -- only it seems like what I'm after following the epiphany. Naturally, a 997TT would be competitor, and would still consider it but it has no more excitement for me simply because it's a P-car. I do a few DEs every year, but mainly mountain drives and occasional commute. Have an SUV for daily grind.

The changes to the '12 seem significant; however, maybe better to wait for '13. I'm wondering if that would be the last year of this platform. Other possibility would be to let the '13 come out and buy the '12 at a modest discount, which would be pay the karmic debt I incurred for ditching the Gt3 so soon and taking a serious hit.

Anyway, I've enjoyed the forums so far, and look forward to reporting more interesting news. By the way, if anyone is located in the Bham, AL area, I would most appreciate a ride in your GTR (a brief drive better, but ride would be helpful).

Cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Contraction for "Birmingham," which -- in contrast to Birmingham, UK -- is pronounced "Birming-HAM." It is not a flattering pronunciation. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
So far speculations have the 2013 to be a big improvement over the 2012

Wait and see if the changes are worth the jump in price

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a Bham in USA too? Cool!
Birmingham, AL, USA, famed for steel industry (called "Pittsburgh of the South"), civil rights movement. It's a different town nowadays, dominated by health care and insurance concerns, around 1 million population in metro. area. Automobile-wise, Barber Motorsports Park is nearby, world class road race circuit home to Porsche Sport Driver School and numerous road racing events, strange as that is considering this is NASCAR territory. The museum there btw is one of the largest motorcycle museums in the world, and has an unbelievable collection of Lotus race cars, founded by heir of Milk company (Barber). It's where I have done most of my DEs with Porsche Club of America. Btw, I love the UK, lived in Europe as a kid and visited many times in 1970s and a few times thereafter. Cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agree. I sold my 2009 and bought a Carrera S. We wife wants the car so I am planning to jump back into a 2013 GTR.
From what I hear, '13 considered to be an evolution of '12 -- i.e., 30 or 40 more hp and suspension tweaks. Any idea when it may be released (hopefully by early Spring)?

·
Vendor
4,614 Posts
Agree. I sold my 2009 and bought a Carrera S. We wife wants the car so I am planning to jump back into a 2013 GTR.
Haha,

I had a feeling you'd be back.......

·
Registered
6,766 Posts
2013 GTR worth the wait. Early 2012 should be ready.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.