·
Registered
3,318 Posts
probably wasn't in M mode

·
Registered
778 Posts
Would love to see a 2012 against the new M5, that would be a nice race
I will start this by stating I disagree with street racing...that said a few nights ago I was on the highway with my MY09 GTR and a new M5 was blocking the left lane (only doing 120km/h or in US terms 75mph). So flashed my lights and instead of pulling over he tries to pull away. So I drop a gear and go after him (since I made the motion for him to get out of the way at least I should follow up on my actions and keep trying to overtake him). He starts going waaaaay to fast in traffic and weaving across lanes so I back off and stay in my lane. In a little bit there is an empty stretch of road and he is sitting in the middle lane (still doing about 110km/h or in US terms 70mph) and starts gunning his engine...so he makes a move and I follow--we would go to about 180-200km/h (or 110-125mph) and I had him by about 2 car lengths. We did this about 3 times (with the same result--GTR by a few car lengths) before we got into too much traffic and he would start jumping lanes again ...at which point I realized that this fool was going to hit someone else and I let him go.

What I can say is that the car sounded positively evil--holy hell the M5 has a deep rumbling exhaust note. For a sedan that thing can haul ass...however even from a pretty high speed roll (starting at 110km/h--70mph) it was not beating the GTR once I took it to manual and dropped a gear or two. But for a grocery hauler it has some serious speed.

So before I get flamed for street racing--I know what I was doing was wrong...just got caught up in the moment. I stayed in my lane and just accelerated, it was high speed lane changing and aggressive moves he was making once we got in to traffic that scared the shit out of me (and made me realize some people are just nuts...speed in the left lane is one thing but jumping over all the other lanes in not acceptable and incredibly dangerous).

Don't want to turn this into a tread on racing, as we have those, but wanted to comment on going head to head with a new M5.

·
Long Standing
79 Posts
Pretty ballsey move. My understanding is that those kind of speeds in Canada loses your car, license...while spending some time in jail?
"Stunt Driving" laws here in Ontario include 50km/h (31mph) over the speed limit.

Automatic "administrative" 7 day license suspension and 7 day impound of car, at your expense. No appeal process. You haven't even been convicted of anything yet!

Then the fun begins - court proceedings: Possible outcomes if you are convinced of Stunt Driving:
1. imprisonment for a term of not more than six (6) months; and
2. a minimum fine of $2,000 to a maximum fine of $10,000, (making these fine limits, the harshest in Canada); or
3. BOTH the term of imprisonment and up to the maximum fine, together; and
4. Six (6) demerit points on their driver's licence and a driver's licence suspendion for up to two (2) years.
5. A subsequent "racing" conviction, within ten (10) years of the first conviction can result in a driver's licence suspension of ten (10) years.

Sound like fun? There are actually a bunch of other ways to get convicted of Stunt Driving here, too.
1. Driving a motor vehicle with a person in the trunk of the motor vehicle.
2. Driving a motor vehicle while the driver is not sitting in the driver's seat.
3. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to spin it or cause it to circle, without maintaining control over it.
4. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to cause some or all of its tires to lose traction with the surface of the highway while turning.
5. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to lift some or all of its tires from the surface of the highway, including driving a motorcycle with only one wheel in contact with the ground, but not including the use of lift axles on commercial motor vehicles.
6. Driving two or more motor vehicles side by side or in proximity to each other, where one of the motor vehicles occupies a lane of traffic or other portion of the highway intended for use by oncoming traffic for a period of time that is longer than is reasonably required to pass another motor vehicle.
7. Driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention, without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway or in a manner that may endanger any person by,
- i. driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to prevent another vehicle from passing,
- ii. stopping or slowing down a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates the driver's sole intention in stopping or slowing down is to interfere with the movement of another vehicle by cutting off its passage on the highway or to cause another vehicle to stop or slow down in circumstances where the other vehicle would not ordinarily do so,
- iii. driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to drive, without justification, as close as possible to another vehicle, pedestrian or fixed object on or near the highway, or
- iv. making a left turn where:
(A) the driver is stopped at an intersection controlled by a traffic control signal system in response to a circular red indication;
(B) at least one vehicle facing the opposite direction is similarly stopped in response to a circular red indication; and
© the driver executes the left turn immediately before or after the system shows only a circular green indication in both directions and in a manner that indicates an intention to complete or attempt to complete the left turn before the vehicle facing the opposite direction is able to proceed straight through the intersection in response to the circular green indication facing that vehicle.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Pretty ballsey move. My understanding is that those kind of speeds in Canada loses your car, license...while spending some time in jail?
Yup--you got it. Here in Ontario speeding 50km/h over the limit means AUTOMATIC car seizure, AUTOMATIC minimum $2000 fine (can go up to $10,000) and AUTOMATIC loss of liscense for a week. All at the side of the road - the cop is judge and jury...there is no appealing it.

Mostly they catch people in larger residential roads going 90 or 100km/h in 40-5kph zones (which in my area 90-100km/h is standard flow of traffic in the 4 lane 60km/h zones). So they end up nabbing lots of soccer moms and dad's in SUVs.

update -- oops 1000Songs beat me to it while I was writing this....good to see you back on the boards 1000Songs

·
Long Standing
79 Posts
update -- oops 1000Songs beat me to it while I was writing this....good to see you back on the boards 1000Songs
LOL I've been here lurking all along. Not much to say when you turned down 2 GT-Rs and drive an Audi! Lease is up in November - maybe I'll have more to say in the Spring....

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
So you might end up in prison for speeding? Can't you buy that sentence?
What do you mean by "Can't you buy that sentence?" Skyliner?

In short, yes, you could end up in prison for speeding in Canada, *As well as a fine of up to 10,000.

It is damn scary when you really think about it, we live in a **free** country that has allowed its police force to, as TorontoGTR pointed out, be the judge and jury with no appeals process...

(Wise man once pointed out to me that laws are like a pendulum usually, they keep swinging to far to the extreme's before they balance out.)

Although I am damn proud to be a Canadian, and don't wish to sound like I'm complaining.

Mista Cheese

1 - 20 of 32 Posts