Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I would like to mention that my 2013 GTR is 100% stock and is my daily driver. I do track it from time to time. I am wondering weather I can enjoy the car a little bit more, in the snow for instance. My questions is, can I use the e-brake to induce a slide or should I only "play" with weight transition?

I do have some good experience in tracking and drifting RWD cars. I also have an Impreza STI, which i love to drift in the winter, but it is with manual gears and i can simply clutch in everytime i decide to use the e-brake to set the car properly for the incoming corner.

What happens if you e-brake the GTR? Does this hurt the diffs, transmission or anything else? Can i e-brake for a hairpin (180 degree corner)? I was told at the dealership that the e-brake should only be used as a parking brake (still not sure if using it to induce a slide would void the warranty).

...and by the way, can you drift continuously (power over) in snowy weather with the VDC in Race mode (not completely OFF)?

Thanks for the attention!

·
Founder/Admin
26,243 Posts
let me save you some potential heartache and money here the GTR with its AWD system and electronics isnt made for anything you just mentioned sliding it around is a good way to burn up the diffs this car and/or at the very least you will get too much wheel spin and trigger the clutch overheat warning over and over..... I really would leave the drifting around in the snow to the subaru.

but with that said you are gonna have to have VDC off to attempt any of that

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too bad... ;) I was expecting such an input, since this is also my general understanding of the situation. I was simply hoping to have gotten "something wrong" ;) Thanks for the quick reply!

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
While I think it is possible to "drift" in the snow with VDC in R mode you would need a flat area clear of anything and carry enough speed into a turn. I would not attempt to use the e-brake.
You can even turn VDC off to allow for more slippage.

see 7:00 for explanation of how VDC works and 15:40 for winding snowy road test in this video-

Or this at 0:42 and 1:36

·
Registered
681 Posts
Screw the GT-R...why are you even mentioning it in this context when you have a sweet 20v Blacktop AE86? Post up a thread of that beauty now! ;) Deliver some tofu while you're at it too!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts