Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's partially true but the real reason is that the front hat is made of aluminum, while the rear hat is of cast iron (for e-brake, so can't made of aluminum). So even the rear is also a two piece construction like front but still weighs 27 lbs comparing to front's 25 lbs even it's a thinner rotor (30mm vs. 33/34mm).

Most GTR drivers are very sensitive to the weight saving especially on "rotational weight", so the question is if there is any way to save some rotor weight on the rear w/o going to some crazy material like CCM that costs $$$$.

·
Registered
981 Posts
How about an AL hat for the rears with a thin steel liner for the ebrake shoes to grip? Just like steel sleeves in an AL engine block?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How about an AL hat for the rears with a thin steel liner for the ebrake shoes to grip? Just like steel sleeves in an AL engine block?
That's what our rear rotors were built, light weight aluminum (forged) with iron (not steel) liner for e-brake. Another quiz - what you think how much weight RB rear rotors can save by doing so.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
It's close but not quite, the saving is 7.5 lbs per rotor or 26% over the stock.
The time has come for me to replace my oem rotors and pads. my thing is most of the racing i enjoy is 1/4 mile drag racing.

I need and am on market for OEM size lighter weight rotors as i run 18" all around.

7.5 lbs per rotor weight saving is hugh for us drag racer and i'm sure there a market for them.

make it happen and i'm in.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The time has come for me to replace my oem rotors and pads. my thing is most of the racing i enjoy is 1/4 mile drag racing.

I need and am on market for OEM size lighter weight rotors as i run 18" all around.

7.5 lbs per rotor weight saving is hugh for us drag racer and i'm sure there a market for them.

make it happen and i'm in.
Good point in rotor weight reduction yet keep them under "stock". RB has a complete solution, as we already have rear light weight two piece rotors that can save you 7 lbs per rotor.
As to the front the thckness can be reduced to 30mm vs. OE's 34mm with an estimated weight of ~19 lbs. This set up will keep both front and rear under "20 lbs" so you can save 6 lbs/ea for front. Total weight saving you can expect for 4 corners will be ~ 26 lbs,

RB is commited to providing a total soultion to retrofit / iomprove your GTR brake at manageable cost and set up. Nothing facncy like CCM rotors/water cooling etc but they proven work and last.

We stand behind what we stated and shipped. In fact during the recent PRI (Performance Racing Industry) in Orlando FL, we were requested by quite a few ZR1 owners to make iron rotors replacing OE's problmatic and high mantenance costs on stock CCM rotors. Jared from SFS can witness these concersations. My response was we did'nt intend to offer this replacement, although I know CCM would not prevail for track use, in early stage until you guys felt the pain, then we can act on it.

Warren-RB

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Hello everyone,

These light weight drag oriented front rotors are in que, and should be available in about 6 weeks at a cost comparable to the current offerings. We will have a stocking order of these immediately upon being released, so if you are interested please email or PM me so I can add you to the notification list. We will have these rotors and the current 2-piece open slot rotors available with the XT910 brake pads (no squeal but GREAT initial bite) as a DRAG PACKAGE at a discounted price.

Another nice advantage of these Drag Front Rotor discs is that they will fit the same 2-piece hat which the current 34mm wide rotors use, so you can change discs on the same hat to go from drag race to road race set-ups if you like. While this is overkill for most people, it's still a unique option only to be found on RacingBrake rotors.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Have you ever noticed GTR rear rotor weighs more than front rotor, even it's thinner than the front rotor and why?
There's a few components in the rear that are iron where they are aluminum up front. Probably for weight distribution purposes.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Yes, the OEM rear hats are where the bulk of the weight is located.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There's a few components in the rear that are iron where they are aluminum up front. Probably for weight distribution purposes.
Aluminum hat is light but can't resist to brake heat like iron, but iron is heavy. For safety reason OEM can only supply iron hats for the two piece rotors which practically does't save any weight over one piece rotors.

RB offers true iight weight rear two piece rotors - With a compostie hat which has aluminum shell (light weight and also help to dissipate heat faster) with an iron liner (in blue) for e-brake, so far we have these rear two piece rotors made for Z06, CTS-V, CamaroSS, Mercedes AMG, All BMW, G37S/370Z and Porsche's including GT-R that come with rear drum e-brakes. A proven brake technology that other brake companies can only admire.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Aluminum hat is light but can't resist to brake heat like iron, but iron is heavy. For safety reason OEM can only supply iron hats for the two piece rotors which practically does't save any weight over one piece rotors.
Doesn't the front brakes generate more heat than the rears?

·
Premium Member
350 Posts

a group buy is kool
Regarding a group buy, we will entertain that idea once the rotors are completed and tested, and are going into final production. Stay tuned!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.