Nissan GT-R Forum banner

GTR NISMO featured in Gran Turismo Movie!

6K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  MC 
#1 ·
Orlando Bloom and Stranger Things star David Harbour have been signed to play leading roles in the forthcoming Sony Pictures/ PlayStation Productions movie ‘Gran Turismo, with a script based on the real-life journey of Jann Mardenborough from gamer to real life factory racer via Nissan’s GT Academy competition.
Mardenborough’s success in the competition led to a Nissan factory contract with outings in GT3, LMP2, the ill-fated LMP1 and a long spell in Super GT before his most recent role as a Formula E sim tester.
Harbour is reported to be cast as a racing mentor for the Mardenborough role – Think a significantly more ‘Hollywood’ Rob Barff, and Bloom, as a dead ringer for Darren Cox* is understood to be playing a marketing genius!
British actor Archie Madekwe is reported to be cast in the lead role and was seen recently at a Silverstone test day with Mardenborough
Industry reports are that the film is to be directed by Elysium and District 9 Director Neill Blomkamp, with the script being written and developed by American Sniper writer Jason Hall and King Richard scriptwriter Zach Baylin.
Whilst details are currently scarce, action sequences are understood to be planned at a European circuit in the coming weeks, and industry sources confirming that the production company were sourcing relevant race cars for filming.

Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Hood

See less See more
#8 ·
You can't have a Gran Turismo movie with less than 3 GTRs. It would be an injustice to the game, gamers, fans, skyline owners, gt-r owners. Everyone that played the game probably had a garage full of R32, R33, R34 (I stopped playing before the R35 came out so I don't know about how many iterations of that car they had). Will definitely be watching it, but depending on reviews don't know if I will be watching it in theaters, streaming, or bootleg. Just noticed that the top pic of the GT3 has what looks like aftermarket lightning bolt headlights and not the OEM 15+ headlights.

#7 ·
dialogue is a little cringe but yeah looks decent. all the action scenes were shot with like 4K cameras on chase cars.

Jan's story was in 2011 but this movie tells it in current day as there are current GTR NISMOs which didnt exist during his run of GT Academy. so cool to see those on the big screen

for those curious and I had to look it up myself. the LMP car at the end that is badged a Nissan is a Liger JS PX

Sky Flash photography Poster Font Jacket

#10 ·
You'll have a hard time convincing me that's not Yuki Tsunoda in the foreground at 0:44

#12 ·
I wonder if this will boost the prices of used GT-R’s ? I still love mine even though it’s a 2013 but thinking of trading up to a 2020+ just to keep it alive for another 10 years and then maybe R36 will be here LOL!!!

#15 ·
This will give GTRs a boost.
When i pull into gas stations it already comes with "a lot" attention ,not many GTRs around here.
With pre-pubescent teens and teenagers - definitely not what Nissan needs to survive.

#18 ·
Possibly but fans of the GT-R already know about it and either bought one or are working towards that end - it’s been around for over 15 years and they didn’t need a movie to generate interest. Those who aren’t very familiar and see this movie will likely find better options for their money at this point, given the current used market and won’t be swayed by movie notoriety. Guess the litmus test would be to compare GT-R sales with Fast & Furious releases featuring this car to see if there’s any substance to sales correlation.

#21 ·
Re the buzz from the movie, I think there will be an upsurge in interest in the GTR, but I don't believe the audience for this movie has the funds that translate into sales for Nissan though. The biggest reaction I receive on my Nismo and T-spec are from Highschool / college kids manning the valet stands at restaurants and at the bag drops at golf clubs. They dig these more than the average Porsche, but that does not translate into sales unfortunately for Nissan. Hopefully it does. Any good buzz helps.

#24 ·
I saw it

what I liked about it first and foremost it was as advertised it really felt like GTR NISMO the movie. really had that car on full display. It was mostly true to the real story and even dealt with the Nürburgring crash. the GTR sounds were mostly accurate and didnt swap the VR38 out for some exotic sound. Actor who played Jann was good. I thought it tried to give very casual movie goers an intro to the game and motorsports in general.

What I didnt like is the script and dialogue were really paint by numbers after school special. At times it felt like you asked ChatGPT to write a gran turismo movie. had a lot of mellow drama cliche in it. not sure orlando bloom and david harbour were the right casting choices. also Kaz from GT didnt play himself. seems like and odd choice. some parts were unrealistic for the sake of making a better movie because sometimes motorsports at that level isnt wheel to wheel photo finish as the movie depicts it had some heart but even with the big action race scenes it kind of felt like something you would catch on a streaming service and had the same general beats and arc of every inspirational sports movie ever made

Other random thoughts were the musical choices were odd as there are so many iconic Gran Turismo songs that were ignored and Nissan sort of comes off like a shadowy corporation

biggest annoyance is the camera shots of the foot work pressing the gas when the gears change like your watching fast and furious almost like its a fake clutch sound with it, ... when in reality you are more times than not flat footing the throttle during a paddle shift in the GTR

Seeing my favorite car of all time center stage outweighed any real nitpicks I had. would recommend if you are a GTR and NISMO fan

#27 ·
yeah its a fun movie and if you are a GTR guy you have to go just on principle alone. im kind of a movie buff so I probably over analyze it but yeah its worth a watch. I grew up on Gran turismo and even tried the online GT Academy thing lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.