Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm currently in a dilemma. I'm torn between buying a GTR or the bmw Supra. My budget is 85k, unless I find a really good deal I can push to ~95k. If I bought a supra, I'm estimating I'll pay $60k for it and have $15k left over. Which I'll then buy FBO, E85 kit, tune, and maybe some rims for it. From what I've read with FBO and E85 the supra can make 550 whp and 600 tq. Plus lets be honest it has a nicer interior and infotainment. Interior and infotainment just aren't Nissan strong suit. But then again a GTR is a GTR aka Godzilla and it's something I've wanted since I was little but the new supra has really caught my attention lately. But the GTR look way better then supra in my opinion. So has any of you guys owned or own a supra and did/do you like it? I'd like to hear what you guys thinking about the GTR vs Supra. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also I currently own a 2013 Genesis coupe and it's the nicest car I've ever owned to this day. So I'm about make a major upgrade and that might be why I've over thinking this. I will not be selling the genesis, it'll still be my daily and the GTR or Supra will be a Weekend/show car only.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I can't speak personally from experience since I haven't owned either, but I do find myself in a similar boat of if I should sell my 1994 MKIV Supra to fund a GTR, or just be patient. I tried so hard to like the MKV because the lower price of entry and overall costs to mod. I followed the car since rumors started at least 6-8 years ago or so, but the car just doesn't excite me, I'm still trying to figure that one out. I watch them as they roll by and it just doesn't give me that feeling that I get when I see a MKIV, drive mine, or see a GTR roll by, I can't really explain it. I do like seeing them with BC forged wheels though. I'm sure they are a fun car to drive, I think I just have a fundamental issue with the DNA of the car, nothing against BMW, but if I wanted a bimmer I'd buy a bimmer. Maybe driving one may help me there.

In terms of your budget, I'd say it depends on what you want to do with either car. The new Supras have proven to be decently stout, and ~$5000 can get the car pretty damn quick. The GTR higher price of entry means it's just that much more to go FBO, unless you find one with some mods already.

In terms of the comparison, I'd recommend Bros Fourr Speed youtube channel, he's owned a GTR for I think 4-5 years now, and he also owned a MKV supra for 2 years (i think) and sold it. He compares the two in countless videos, would be a good source of info based on what your looking for.

Genesis coupes are pretty stout as well, we single turbo'd a buddy of mine's 3.8l, it was every bit as quick as my single turbo 350Z back in the day.

Good luck.

-Rich

·
Registered
10,365 Posts
Apples and oranges. RWD vs AWD. Supras can get sketchy as hell over 650. GTR doesn’t even break a sweat at 1,000 and will dead hook on 20’s.

If you care about what a dyno reads vs actually going fast, get a supra. If you like to hook and like it safe on the street, get an R35.

Plenty of better rwd cars out there you can throw forced induction on if it doesn’t already have it.

Also if you are over 6’ you aren’t fitting in the Supra/Z4. At 6’5” can straight leg the R35.

·
Registered
2020 Bayside Blue
142 Posts
I also considered an MKV. But I am with @Kidney.... They just don't excite me. And knowing it's not really a Supra doesn't help I guess. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm 6'2" so that gets the GTR major points. Your right the two platforms are different but that's why i'm stuck between them. Plus if I bought a supra it would be a 2021+ vs a gtr it would probably be 2016 bc the market right now is outrageous.

·
Registered
10,365 Posts
Well you have some opinions here.

At 6’2 I doubt you can fit comfortably for long periods, but people say thy about me and the NSX - Supra’s driver position seems as small as a Miata to me personally.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you choose.

HP wise - I gave up high hp RWD years ago, they are no fun imho other than rolling burn outs and can still do that if you push enough hp with awd.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Apples and oranges. RWD vs AWD. Supras can get sketchy as hell over 650. GTR doesn’t even break a sweat at 1,000 and will dead hook on 20’s.

If you care about what a dyno reads vs actually going fast, get a supra. If you like to hook and like it safe on the street, get an R35.

Plenty of better rwd cars out there you can throw forced induction on if it doesn’t already have it.

Also if you are over 6’ you aren’t fitting in the Supra/Z4. At 6’5” can straight leg the R35.
This is very true. I owned an MK4 Supra that was making around 800HP and on the street it was actually dangerous, at least for me.

The GTR can make a lot of power and be very safe on the street at the same time.

I really fell in love with GTR platform. I guess there is a reason they have been AWD for a long time now.......

·
Registered
2022 Mexico Blue M4 Comp xDrive
345 Posts
BMW M4CxD would be a good option too. AWD, underrated at 503hp, 8gear trany good for 800tq., upgraded interior, and leg room for rear passengers. The only drawback is a locked ECU. So you would have to send it to Russia (not kidding) to get it unlocked and then tuned. Otherwise, you can get a piggyback system for ~$750 and increase the hp by ~60-100hp

·
Registered
2020 Bayside Blue
142 Posts
BMW M4CxD would be a good option too. AWD, underrated at 503hp, 8gear trany good for 800tq., upgraded interior, and leg room for rear passengers. The only drawback is a locked ECU. So you would have to send it to Russia (not kidding) to get it unlocked and then tuned. Otherwise, you can get a piggyback system for ~$750 and increase the hp by ~60-100hp
Good option but you have to willing to live with the BBQ grill in the front. Every time I see one, it makes me want to throw a few steaks on it. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: bigc

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm currently in a dilemma. I'm torn between buying a GTR or the bmw Supra. My budget is 85k, unless I find a really good deal I can push to ~95k. If I bought a supra, I'm estimating I'll pay $60k for it and have $15k left over. Which I'll then buy FBO, E85 kit, tune, and maybe some rims for it. From what I've read with FBO and E85 the supra can make 550 whp and 600 tq. Plus lets be honest it has a nicer interior and infotainment. Interior and infotainment just aren't Nissan strong suit. But then again a GTR is a GTR aka Godzilla and it's something I've wanted since I was little but the new supra has really caught my attention lately. But the GTR look way better then supra in my opinion. So has any of you guys owned or own a supra and did/do you like it? I'd like to hear what you guys thinking about the GTR vs Supra. Thanks.
Complet

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I looked at both options before my GTR purchase and really happy with my choice, my buddy bought a TTRS at the same time and we have another buddy with an RS3, again, apples and oranges but both of the Audi make some insane hp and are a blast to drive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They're underrated for sure! BMW can sure make a good race car but sadly they don't excite me at all. Maybe somethings wrong with me lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also how much are you guys paying for insurance? If you don't mind sharing your driving record as well. I currently have 3-15+mph tickets on my record. I'm also 23 so that won't help me either.

·
Registered
10,365 Posts
Also how much are you guys paying for insurance? If you don't mind sharing your driving record as well. I currently have 3-15+mph tickets on my record. I'm also 23 so that won't help me either.
Goodluck with this ….

Reactions: crepr12

·
Registered
2020 Bayside Blue
142 Posts
That's going to hurt...

·
Registered
2013 Nissan GTR
91 Posts
My wife has a 2021 Supra exhaust, downpipes, no-tune. I have a 2013 GTR.
The Supra is a blast to drive. Light, nimble, comfortable for long drives, solid interior with modern tech. I wouldn't mind having that as a daily driver.

With all that being said, the GT-R is still on a different level in terms of being a pure sports car. I would do a 2017+ GT-R if I were you.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts