Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2010 Nissan GTR, and I have to go register it but the guy who sold me it said I'd have to pay 6k for registration (tax) on the car. Is this true?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just purchased a 2010 Nissan GTR, and I have to go register it but the guy who sold me it said I'd have to pay 6k for registration (tax) on the car. Is this true?
Depends on where you live but short answer is yes most states have a Sales and use tax. The rate varies from state to state and its based on the purchase price. VA is like 4.5 so 70k S&T would be like 3150. 6k sounds a little high.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
6K for a 2010??... Maybe if you live in Russia or other high import tax regions.

·
Registered
132 Posts
What is the motor vehicles sales tax in your state? You should just have to take that number and multiply that by either the sales price of the NADA value of the car.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I paid just short of $1500 in NC for what's called "Road Maintenance" tax, which was just short of 3%. I got a discount because I'm military and not a resident of NC.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
All I know is that sales tax was a bitch in SoCal!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
If you live in Arizona and buy not from a dealer but private person.............. NO TAX..........

·
GTRLIFE BOTM August 2015
1,042 Posts
What hunter said for Az regarding sales tax. And each city is a little different with regard to tax %'s. Scottsdale is a little more than neighboring cities. So if you buy a 100k car with 9% tax you could be looking at a 9k add. If you are trading a car in that you already paid tax one, the trade is subtracted from the total sales price if I remember right. For instance, 100k new car, 60k trade in, you only pay the 9% tax on the balance of 40k. The other thing that can be a surprise in Az is the registration. Registration is a function of cars value. I think my 1 year registration is like 1500 bucks or something...I can't remember. The only positive to the car depreciating as much as it does.

If you are buying a brand new car outright in Az with no trade, and you want a couple years worth of registration, you could be looking at 100k + 9k + 3k. And then of course if the dealer talks you into anything else like the Oprah maintenance package you could add another 8k on that before you are done. "A guy walks into a dealership and expects to pay 100k. He walks out writing a check for 120k." I swear I've heard or lived that joke before....

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Well how much did you pay?.....do you live in the US?....if so what state?

This is one of the vaguest posts ever....

Sent from my SM-N915V using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is there anyway the OP can go to SC or NC and register the car without being a resident?

Or maybe the OP can acquire a PO Box in SC and use that as the address or rent one of those corporate mail addresses. If it'll save you 3-4k that's a hell of savings.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
NY 8-8.5% sales plus 2 year registration : $200 +/- and $180 if you want personal plates, plus $20 for inspection (wish I had one of those ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts