Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
GoldMember
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's something we all hate to do after a long day at the track. We all know how important it is to get it done right. Making sure the car doesn't move. Making sure the tie down points we have selected aren't going to exert too much force and damage something. Making sure we don't have a strap rubbing on the paint or a wheel that is going to cause damage.

With the upcoming track season just around the corner lets get some feedback from all of you who think you have some good ideas on your tie down points and techniques. We are all members of this forum because we want to learn something or share something or both.

I have a Featherlite aluminum open trailer. I usually start at the front using Summit Racing's tire baskets. I run the tie down then to the front corner of the trailer being careful not to let the strap rub the front bumper cover. I usually apply a few layers of duct tape to the bumper cover in the vicinity of the straps and also some where the basket comes close to the finished part of the wheel.

At the rear I use an axle strap around the lower rear suspension link. I use a standard ratcheting tie down with a snap hook to run between the axle strap and the tie down point on the trailer. I avoid using an X pattern on the rear tie downs.

Now .............................. Lets hear how you do it!

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts

·
GoldMember
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks TN-GT-R.

I saw that thread. A lot of guys are still using wheel rims as a tie down point. Not a good idea.

Setting up E-track to work with several cars on one trailer is not an option or I'd do that.

Still looking for any other methods if someone wants to chime in.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'll have mine on the trailer this weekend. I'll take some pics of my method. I really like the way it compresses the suspension. No stress on any of those components during the trip. Takes me no longer than 10 min to have it ready to roll

·
GoldMember
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
GoldMember
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll have mine on the trailer this weekend. I'll take some pics of my method. I really like the way it compresses the suspension. No stress on any of those components during the trip. Takes me no longer than 10 min to have it ready to roll
I had mine on the trailer last night. I was gonna take some pics but it was dark, cold and I just wanted to be done with it.

I ended up using the [email protected] Nissan's front end tie down method using the front lower A's. It works pretty good but still rubs a little on the front under panels.

·
Vendor
3,602 Posts
I had mine on the trailer last night. I was gonna take some pics but it was dark, cold and I just wanted to be done with it.

I ended up using the [email protected] Nissan's front end tie down method using the front lower A's. It works pretty good but still rubs a little on the front under panels.
Not sure if you have me confused with another member? I tie down using the "tracks" i have installed in my trailer or I tie down off of my tow hooks. I have two tow hooks in the front and soon will have two in the rear.

·
GoldMember
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure if you have me confused with another member? I tie down using the "tracks" i have installed in my trailer or I tie down off of my tow hooks. I have two tow hooks in the front and soon will have two in the rear.
Oops! That was the AMS method. It still worked good though.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Finally got some pics of the GTR on the trailer. Great fun at Road Atlanta on Sat. Sun was a rainout. First run with the Hooked on Driving track club. They run a good program and I would recommend. One other GTR, a beautiful 2012 SS BE running the new Michelin's. He seemed very happy with the tires.

I also attached a couple of pics of where I tie mine down in the rear. Very simple and easy to do with the car on the trailer. At this location the straps actually compress the suspension. My tow vehicle is a 2008 Pathfinder 4X4 V8. Pulls effortlessly. Had to play around with location on the trailer to get the tounge weight right but now that I have that location it is very balanced and easy to drive...unless there is a 30 mph cross-wind...

Hope this is beneficail information.

Attachments

·
GoldMember
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally got some pics of the GTR on the trailer. Great fun at Road Atlanta on Sat. Sun was a rainout. First run with the Hooked on Driving track club. They run a good program and I would recommend. One other GTR, a beautiful 2012 SS BE running the new Michelin's. He seemed very happy with the tires.

I also attached a couple of pics of where I tie mine down in the rear. Very simple and easy to do with the car on the trailer. At this location the straps actually compress the suspension. My tow vehicle is a 2008 Pathfinder 4X4 V8. Pulls effortlessly. Had to play around with location on the trailer to get the tounge weight right but now that I have that location it is very balanced and easy to drive...unless there is a 30 mph cross-wind...

Hope this is beneficail information.
I love Road Atlanta!

Good pics. I'm going to try your method for the rear tie downs next time. Did you use an X pattern on the back or just run the ties straight back?

Was going to take some pics and put them on this thread but I was in a hurry and it was cold and dark as hell. I was miserable.

As I said above. I'm using a new Tundra Crewmax with the 5.7 motor to tow mine. Plenty of power but I've been experimenting with placement of the car on the trailer to reduce tounge weight. The truck can take the weight but I have the comfy tires with wimpy sidewalls that I worry about. I also thought about a weight distribution hitch. I've used them in the past with larger enclosed trailers and it improves the ride even more as it gets a lot of weight off the rear axle.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Did you use an X pattern on the back or just run the ties straight back?
Just straight back. Slightly rubs the 315 Hoosiers but not the stock 285 BS.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Wheels are looking good Jimmy!!

How did you like the hoosiers?
My confidence grew as the day went on. Wear looks reasonable. Probably ran about 7/10ths. Backs have plenty of life left and fronts have maybe two track days left if I rotate. Had one valve stem start leaking but luckily there was a tire guy at the event and he quickly replaced it and I made for the last run. Wheels turned out great. I like the crinkled black matte finish. Hope to see you guys at the track soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.