Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The supercar market is becoming very competitive. GTR is clearly the best value for performance and most on this forum would agree.

But Ford and Chevrolet have come out with the GT500 and ZL1 that cost about $60,000 plus tax which both offer blistering horsepower and decent performance. In Canadian dollars this is roughly half the cost of a new Black edition GTR.

I know choice of vehicle is highly subjective, but anyone have any thoughts about the GTR being challenged for being the best bang for the buck? (by these muscle cars)?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
It's hard to view the GTR in that light. I know a brand new one is double the price, but a used '09-'11 is right around that 60k mark depending on miles.

Sent from my GT-R while roll racing at 150 mph

·
Registered
97 Posts
This is an amazing time in automotive history if you're a sports car lover - vette, ctsv, gt500, zl1, etc. Bang for your buck, these are all awesome performers...in fair weather. I drive my GTR year round in the northeast. It's fast in all conditions - rain, cold, etc. I had a first generation Z06 that would start going sideways when the temperature dropped below 60 degrees. Sideways is a lot of fun in its own way, but it gets annoying to never get to use more than half your motor unless you're at highway speeds.

Cars are typically reviewed and track times compared under near ideal conditions - nice warm dry days, smooth roads (Take a GT500 around a turn with uneven pavement - scary!). Where I live, that's great for about 6 months out of the year. When you enter the 400, 500, 600+hp range the advantages of awd become exponential when the weather is imperfect. I'd like to see how a 458 compares to a GTR in 45 degree temps around a road course or how a ZR1 compares in the 1/4 with light rain or 0-60 times on roads without great grip!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Everything stated above is correct. When less than ideal toad cobditions are present ( very common for Canada) AWD can't be beaten. I still accelerate very aggressively in less than ideal weather. (Cold pavement etc)
As someone else mentioned. Rwd's are fun to get sideways, but spinning all the time gets old and when the temp dipps, you'll be spinning.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. The market is more competitive now for the sports car industry. Hopefully the GTR can always stay ahead of its competition. Amazing how the 2014 GTR can do the nurburgring in 7:18 while the new 991 GT3 is about 12 seconds slower!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.