Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have reluctantly put my '14 GT-R up for sale, listing it on here and Cars.com. Not in a hurry either, and if I can't get close to my asking price, I'll take it off the market if it hasn't sold by Summer's end. Anyway, someone here on Gt-R Life sent me PM, asking if I could meet them tomorrow so they could look over the car. In the PM, I felt there were a few red flags. One, the person said they had been looking for a white GT-R the past few months, and didn't see very many for sale. I thought the color white was a very common one. Secondly, the person is new to this forum, so it appears they just joined. Third, they gave me a cell number to call them, but preferred I texted them. All of these things separately might be legitimate, but put them all together and it just makes me suspicious. Am I being paranoid, or is there something to my suspicions?

·
Premium Member
9,468 Posts
Maybe just you being paranoid... Lots of people join gtrlife if they decide to purchase a GTR. Just meet them in a public place.

And bring a gun.. JK lol

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have reluctantly put my '14 GT-R up for sale, listing it on here and Cars.com. Not in a hurry either, and if I can't get close to my asking price, I'll take it off the market if it hasn't sold by Summer's end. Anyway, someone here on Gt-R Life sent me PM, asking if I could meet them tomorrow so they could look over the car. In the PM, I felt there were a few red flags. One, the person said they had been looking for a white GT-R the past few months, and didn't see very many for sale. I thought the color white was a very common one. Secondly, the person is new to this forum, so it appears they just joined. Third, they gave me a cell number to call them, but preferred I texted them. All of these things separately might be legitimate, but put them all together and it just makes me suspicious. Am I being paranoid, or is there something to my suspicions?
At this point...I agree you are just being paranoid.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Does seem odd.

·
Registered
44 Posts
1) Maybe they haven't seen many white ones near the for sale.

2) Agree with guy above me saying that he joined because he wants the extra GT-R information, and people so sell their cars on here.

3) Maybe he hates talking on the phone? Texting is more convenient, especially if he's like me with bad service where he lives.

Sent from my XT1254 using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
665 Posts
I was the same way, joined when I wanted a GTR and had a few posts when I found one and bought it. Also I always give my cell and even in my for sale ad's tell people text is better. If im in a meeting or on a conference call I can see and respond to a text easier than taking a phone call.

Just find a public place meet the person and call it a day.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
You sound weird, nothing suspicious there at all. White . GTRs are the most sought after, and usually command a premium over other colors, sometimes people like texting, especially if they work a lot. And he wants to meet you to check out the car......ok? Meet him in a parking lot somewhere.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I would insist on having a conversation over the phone. If they're unwilling to have a 5 minute chat with you, they're not a serious buyer as a 5 minute chat between seller and prospective buyer is not an unreasonable request and if there's resistance, probably not someone you'll get comfortable with anyway.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I prefer e-mail/text then talking over the phone when buying things such as cars so I can have records and proof of what was said. If you talk over the phone you have no records then it turns into a he says she says type of argument. A dealer tried to pull that on me once, but I busted out the email showing what he said.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I would insist on having a conversation over the phone. If they're unwilling to have a 5 minute chat with you, they're not a serious buyer as a 5 minute chat between seller and prospective buyer is not an unreasonable request and if there's resistance, probably not someone you'll get comfortable with anyway.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using GT-R Life mobile app
+1

I'd be fine if the majority of the conversation was through text but there should at least be one phone call prior to meeting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Okay, so I am the guy who send your message this morning to check the car. I have been waiting for your message whole day.

I got it that you are busy. So I gave your my cell number and we could start a conversation based on text.

I tried the your office number over 10 times in the day. None of them went through successfully.

And do you know how I feel when I saw this topic you post this morning? Question my intention just after replied my PM?

If I am not seriously buying the car, why I send your the message and told you my cell at the first beginning? Fine, You stick to your own way of thinking. I may just go to search for another car then.

Since when people do not trust each other any more. I don't get it.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You sound weird, nothing suspicious there at all. White . GTRs are the most sought after, and usually command a premium over other colors, sometimes people like texting, especially if they work a lot. And he wants to meet you to check out the car......ok? Meet him in a parking lot somewhere.
I don't think I'm weird, and your remark was irrelevant to the post. The rest of what you wrote was helpful, though, so at least thanks for that. I have actually heard back from the guy. Says he is a student in college and from China. No credit in this country but claims he has the funds in his bank account.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I don't think I'm weird, and your remark was irrelevant to the post. The rest of what you wrote was helpful, though, so at least thanks for that. I have actually heard back from the guy. Says he is a student in college and from China. No credit in this country but claims he has the funds in his bank account.
Lol. Wouldn't doubt it. The Chinese kids at my college are rolling around in Ferrari 458's, mclaren 650s, lamborghinis etc. And I'm here just in my GTR.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Mid Life Crisis >>> this could be a generational difference. The posts I read (above) are quite valid. GTRLife is a source that generates interest so individuals with just a few post truly are trying to enjoy the GTR. Buying a GTR is a good start. I think it is really hard for me to sell a car I wash weekly and know inside out. The risks of selling it seem lower than the benefits (especially with lowball offers on a car barely broke in). I am sure the credibility of the seller is a concern for the buyer. Very few GTRs are "beat on", but they are high dollar for most buyers too.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Lots of people join forums to buy cars- best ones are typically sold through the forums 1st seeing most want the mods and not the dealership BS. A quick look at eBay and I found (6) white GTRs between 2014 to 2016 (those wheels...eww) and they seemed to be banging on the 2014. Its the last year so claimed to have the better ecu and stiffer ride so it maybe the reason he wants yours.

I agree with Flash- those kids are loaded and price should be easily within his reach. Parents might be cracking down on spending with the Chinese economy downturn and limiting them to GTRs from Ferraris and Lambos LOL

Damn... They have a Red 2015 with 19K on the speedo for 77K OBO!! Sheesh. Why not give it away.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lol. Wouldn't doubt it. The Chinese kids at my college are rolling around in Ferrari 458's, mclaren 650s, lamborghinis etc. And I'm here just in my GTR.
Apparently the guy is monitoring this post, or perhaps monitoring all my posts on this board, because he PM'd me and was upset that I was talking about him. I never divulge anyone's personally identifiable information without their consent, so the only person that knew I was referring to him, was him. Anyway, if he's got the money, great. I've got a guy in Arizona very interested in the vehicle as well.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mid Life Crisis >>> this could be a generational difference. The posts I read (above) are quite valid. GTRLife is a source that generates interest so individuals with just a few post truly are trying to enjoy the GTR. Buying a GTR is a good start. I think it is really hard for me to sell a car I wash weekly and know inside out. The risks of selling it seem lower than the benefits (especially with lowball offers on a car barely broke in). I am sure the credibility of the seller is a concern for the buyer. Very few GTRs are "beat on", but they are high dollar for most buyers too.
Generational? Lol, well, yes, I guess compared to most people on this forum, I do have, "Old Fart", status, ha. Seriously, I agree that most people have made some valid points and I do appreciate the responses.

·
Registered
921 Posts
All depends on the type of communication.

I've been all email in contact with my dealer and I am picking it up next Saturday. The only times I called were to give information for the PPI to be conducted and to place my deposit to hold it for two weeks. Other than that I was talking to them for two weeks via email.

This generation is all through technology. I work a ton and being military when my phone rings I think it is something bad in regards to one of my Soldiers being in trouble or my BC calling me for something...hence my preference to text.

I agree with exchange students having money too. When I was in college I saw exchange students rolling in Astons, all types of Porsches, Mercedes, etc. The ones that come to college here generally are the wealthy ones and come to have the "status" of American schooling, which surprisingly still holds more weight than what the American education is actually ranked in the world...

But I would agree with meeting at the police station as well. I also agree with the gun comment if you can, I have my CCW license so I am always armed when I am not on post. You never know these days.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All depends on the type of communication.

I've been all email in contact with my dealer and I am picking it up next Saturday. The only times I called were to give information for the PPI to be conducted and to place my deposit to hold it for two weeks. Other than that I was talking to them for two weeks via email.

This generation is all through technology. I work a ton and being military when my phone rings I think it is something bad in regards to one of my Soldiers being in trouble or my BC calling me for something...hence my preference to text.

I agree with exchange students having money too. When I was in college I saw exchange students rolling in Astons, all types of Porsches, Mercedes, etc. The ones that come to college here generally are the wealthy ones and come to have the "status" of American schooling, which surprisingly still holds more weight than what the American education is actually ranked in the world...

But I would agree with meeting at the police station as well. I also agree with the gun comment if you can, I have my CCW license so I am always armed when I am not on post. You never know these days.
I have a daughter in college, so I do get the fact that today's generation prefers texting over calling or talking in person. Great for convenience, but sometimes you need to speak to someone directly, if not face to face. Some kids today almost seem adverse to that more personal type of communication. Anyway, it is what it is, have to deal with it. Thanks for your service to our great country, by the way. I served for 20 years myself.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts