Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately for me this car was brought to me in less than adequate shape fortunately for the owner i knew how to fix the problem. It was either this or a $6k paint job the dealership quoted. Needless to say the owner was not very happy. After several run-ins with the local BMW dealership after parking next to a set of sprinklers which left hard water spots everywhere it was clear that they exacerbated the problem even more by the amount of holograms and buffer trails i found.

Keep in mind this car is 3 MONTHS OLD and it looks like this. That's why it pays to get it done once, and done properly be a professional.

Enjoy the transformation and if there's any questions please feel free to ask away!

BMW's are notorious for dusty pads. Sonax FE shots:

Foamed to strip any previous "dealer prepared" LSP

Lack of Beadage

Onto the damage shots. Unfortunately the sun wasn't out when the car first arrived and honestly i had no idea it was in this bad of condition until it was brought in under the Halogens for inspection.

Water Spot chaos

50/50 Shot, Notice the difference in color between the two sections.

Panels after correction

After the car was corrected the interior was cleaned, the rims were tidied up and dressing was applied to the tires.

Menzerna Powerlock was the LSP of choice as it add's huge amounts of depth to dark paints.

You can test a TRUE paint correction by how it looks in the sun. I think this passes?

Hope you enjoyed

Thanks for looking,

Tim Coats

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
damn great job

·
Registered
65 Posts
Wow. Nice. What polish did you use for the paint correction?

I have a question maybe you could help me with. I have a black 2010 GTR. It needs a correction. I have a flex tool and lake white, blue and orange pads to go with Menzerna Super Finish PO106FA and Menzerna PO83 Super Intense Polish.

What combo should I use do you think? First use the 106 with the orange cut pad or the blue? And then the 83 with White pad? Any tips are appreciated!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Wow. Nice. What polish did you use for the paint correction?

I have a question maybe you could help me with. I have a black 2010 GTR. It needs a correction. I have a flex tool and lake white, blue and orange pads to go with Menzerna Super Finish PO106FA and Menzerna PO83 Super Intense Polish.

What combo should I use do you think? First use the 106 with the orange cut pad or the blue? And then the 83 with White pad? Any tips are appreciated!
It all depends on the condition of the paint. ALWAYS use the least aggressive combo to get the job done. I own a Flex tool and it is a great polisher that I have used on many cars. When you say "correction" do you mean swirl marks, scratches or oxidation. IMO if it is only swirl marks try the 106fa ( I like this polish ) with a white Lake, if this works great, if not I would step up to SIP with an orange pad ( this combo kills the swirls everytime I have used it ) after you want to finish with 106fa and a white LC pad . For scratches and oxidation you will need to start out with SIP on an orange LC pad and then finish wit the 106fa and a white LC pad. The most severe cases that are few and far between I use Menzerna Power Gloss compond with a LC yellow pad, and when I use this combo I spot use it in the areas that need it (not the entire car ) then use the 106fa to finish down . Be very careful with this combo it is very aggressive. As far as the Blue LC pads I use them to apply sealants (power lock ) is my favorite. I hope this helps and remember least aggressive combo first before getting more aggressive.

·
Registered
639 Posts
To the OP, great job !

·
Registered
65 Posts
It all depends on the condition of the paint. ALWAYS use the least aggressive combo to get the job done. I own a Flex tool and it is a great polisher that I have used on many cars. When you say "correction" do you mean swirl marks, scratches or oxidation. IMO if it is only swirl marks try the 106fa ( I like this polish ) with a white Lake, if this works great, if not I would step up to SIP with an orange pad ( this combo kills the swirls everytime I have used it ) after you want to finish with 106fa and a white LC pad . For scratches and oxidation you will need to start out with SIP on an orange LC pad and then finish wit the 106fa and a white LC pad. The most severe cases that are few and far between I use Menzerna Power Gloss compond with a LC yellow pad, and when I use this combo I spot use it in the areas that need it (not the entire car ) then use the 106fa to finish down . Be very careful with this combo it is very aggressive. As far as the Blue LC pads I use them to apply sealants (power lock ) is my favorite. I hope this helps and remember least aggressive combo first before getting more aggressive.
Hey man, I can't understate how helpful this is. Thank you very much. Going to do a swirl/minor scratch correction as you discussed this coming spring. Will post my results.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hey man, I can't understate how helpful this is. Thank you very much. Going to do a swirl/minor scratch correction as you discussed this coming spring. Will post my results.
You are welcome. I have been detailing cars for over 20 years now and I am a detailing nut (LOL) . Try going to detailingbliss.com you will learn a lot there. BTW all my detailing supplies I purchase are from detailersdomain.com Phil Yee the owner is one of the best in the business. Good luck on your future detailing.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Wow, beautiful. I'm debating getting something like the flex tool and trying to do paint correction on my own. My light scratches are barely visible on my GMG 2010 but I know where they are. Honestly, how likely is it that I can mess up the paint with the flex tool? Should just pay for the work? Also I've heard of some folks use their polishers on a clear bra. anyone here do this? Any warnings on using it on a clear bra versus on the paint?

Thanks

Andy

·
2010 Black Premium
112 Posts
Wow, I really need to find someone in my area who can do this kind of work!

What's the best way to do that exactly? How should I go about finding a reputable shop or individual who can help me with some oxidation and water spot problems I have on my 2+ year old black GT-R here in Richmond, VA? I lot of folks say that they detail cars, but how do you go about finding someone who really has the necessary skills, experience, patience, attention to detail, and appropriate products / tools?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow, I really need to find someone in my area who can do this kind of work! What's the best way to do that exactly? How should I go about finding a reputable shop or individual who can help me with some oxidation and water spot problems I have on my 2+ year old black GT-R here in Richmond, VA? I lot of folks say that they detail cars, but how do you go about finding someone who really has the necessary skills, experience, patience, attention to detail, and appropriate products / tools?
Unfortunately, i don't know of any reputable detailers that do correction work within 7 hours of you. My good friend Dave Saunders from Street Dreams Detail is in New Jersey approximately 6 hours 30 min from you he is top 3 in the WORLD in my opinion. Be careful when choosing a detailer because if the detailer isn't experienced he can actually make things worse with buffer trails and holograms from a mis used rotary polisher.

See this thread for more examples:

http://www.autopia.o...ics-inside.html

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wow, I really need to find someone in my area who can do this kind of work!

What's the best way to do that exactly? How should I go about finding a reputable shop or individual who can help me with some oxidation and water spot problems I have on my 2+ year old black GT-R here in Richmond, VA? I lot of folks say that they detail cars, but how do you go about finding someone who really has the necessary skills, experience, patience, attention to detail, and appropriate products / tools?
go to Detailingbliss.com or Autopia.org. post you like to have your GT-R detail in the appropriate section and Im sure there will be detailers that are mobile and willing to travel to your area. I know a few in mid-atlantic, but they are in NOVA/MD/DC area, PM me if you're interested.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.