Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Founder/Admin
26,479 Posts

Classic and collector car insurer Hagerty firm has released a new l list of top 10 "Future Collector Cars under $100,000". The Nissan GT-R Black Edition made the list at #8 and the only japanese car to make the list. Hagerty's reasons were the car would be remembered by the younger video game generation and could be a favorite "years down the road after their student loans are paid off....with few exceptions japanese sports cars are usually looked over when it comes to possible collector status. With just around 400 sold in the US for the 2012 Model year and an estimated more limited run for 2013 along with a new generation of enthusiasts that look to these cars like the muscle cars of old it makes sense that this GTR earns a spot on the list
Complete list

1) Buick Regal, $32,535
2) Ford Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca Edition, $48,100.
3) Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 , $61,785.
4) Fiat 500 Abarth, $22,000.
5) Volkswagen Golf R, $36,000.
6) Porsche 911, $82,100.
7) Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, $54,095.
8) Nissan GTR Black Edition, $95,100.
9) Dodge Charger SRT8, $46,795
10) Audi TT RS, $56,850.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
I wouldn't take much stock in that list. Buick Regal should not be there... nor the SRT8 Grand Cherokee... trucks (factory not street rods or whatever) rarely do well on the collector market and an SUV will be even worse. And a Fiat Abarth??? Not likely unless Fiat manages to get a significant foothold in the US market. The rest, I can see potential arguments to include

I think Hagerty misses the boat on the GT-R BE, tho... it will be pretty much any GT-R since the actual performance specs have little difference between the Premium or BE. IMO, What will matter is that people will eventually place value on specific years.. the 2009 as the first year, the 2012 as the first representation of the best model (at least to date), and maybe the 2011 as a very small volume year.

Really, though, if you want to invest in cars for collectable value, buying a new car is a dumb way to do it. I recommend buying up as many mid-90s Supras, 300ZX Twin Turbos, and RX-7 Turbos as you can. Those will probably shoot through the roof in the coming decade. To a lesser degree Turbo Eclipses/Talons, Mustang Cobras (the SVT-branded ones, not Shelby-branded). I'm sure I can think of a few others. But the general rule is the cars that truly performed well and ones who everyone wanted (or at least knew someone who wanted one). The cars being bought, modded, and touted around as 'fastest car in town' sort of stuff. Everyone will remember wanting one or seeing the only one in the neighborhood, but when they go to find one there will only be so many nice unmolested stock examples left around. If I had $100K to waste on cars I thought had potential investment value, I'd buy several examples of the first three cars I listed before I'd buy a single GT-R BE.

·
Founder/Admin
26,479 Posts
+1

Yeah, I have a BE and I definitely don't think much of this list... Buick Regal? Plain jane 911? Yeeeeeeah.
thats exactly what i thought,,, one one hand was cool to see the car on the list... but taken in context with the rest of the list... sort of diminishes it a bit.... oh well slow news day lol

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
gayest list of future classics ive seen

do agree with the Fiat, though it wont be the Abarth, but the much rarer Tributo 695 that was co-developed with Ferrari

around the 100k mark, id be buying an E46 M3 CSL to hang onto

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
gayest list of future classics ive ever seen

real collectors and holding onto things like;

- Carrera GT
- 430 16M/Scud
- Alfa 8C
- SLS
- 997 GT2 RS
- 993 Turbo S
- E46 M3 CSL
- 6sp manual Murcielago's

do agree with the Fiat, but it wont be the Abarth, but the much rarer Tributo 695 that was co-developed with Ferrari
I don't disagree with you on the list, but Hagerty said cars BELOW $100k. Plus, we unfortunately never got the M3 CSL in the US.

·
Founder/Admin
26,479 Posts
gayest list of future classics ive ever seen

real collectors and holding onto things like;

- Carrera GT
- 430 16M/Scud
- Alfa 8C
- SLS
- 997 GT2 RS
- 993 Turbo S
- E46 M3 CSL
- 6sp manual Murcielago's

do agree with the Fiat, but it wont be the Abarth, but the much rarer Tributo 695 that was co-developed with Ferrari
yeah i agree overall as far as though the years being collectible....but to their defense i think they pick this list based on new cars to come out each year not like all time collector cars.. so out of the new cars released this year which of them under 100K might be collectable one day..

but like most said a few odd choices and glaring omissions mainly the 1M . i can see the ZL1 and the 991 to a degree since its the first year of a new model... the buick i dunno i thought they were going out of business or something

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
yeh i re-read that 100k and amended my post

re CSL, collector cars have global appeal

sourcing a car from anywhere else in the world isnt a big deal

not all our cars were available for sale in Aus

re buick, if they said the grand national then i'd agree - that's definitely a future classic, i can just see mint factory stock examples going for big money at auctions in 20-30 yrs time

·
Registered
639 Posts
1987 Buick Grand National GNX about 500 built is one of my favorites from back in the day.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Looks like the MY13' BE wouldn't qualify for the list.

·
Registered
6 Posts
dumb list....period. I can see the original muscle cars being timeless classics but the new so called "muscle cars" are not going to be collectible unless in 20/30yrs everything is electric then maybe....but then again if that happens cars like my Evo may be a classic too

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
dumb list....period. I can see the original muscle cars being timeless classics but the new so called "muscle cars" are not going to be collectible unless in 20/30yrs everything is electric then maybe....but then again if that happens cars like my Evo may be a classic too
Actually, I think at some point the Evo and STI will be in demand as collector cars, but if that is your car in your avatar photo yours will probably not be one of them. The most sought after examples will be the cars that were left stock... and they will be hard to find because so many get modded and those that do not often wind up, over the years, being used as donor cars for parts to keep the modded cars running.

Some of the new 'muscle cars' will be collectible, too, but it won't be the ones you think. For example, the new Shelby Mustangs? I think only mildly more interest than a standard Mustang in the future. Why? Because they were billed from the showroom floor as instant collectibles or investments. The typical Shelby is owned by someone older who could never get an original and has just put the car in the garage, rarely driving it, hoping one day it will be worth a million dollars. Whereas the typical Evo or STI is flogged, modded, and enjoyed. Fast forward 15-20 years... there will be FAR more mint, unmodded, low mileage GT500s around than Evo's and STIs. Supply and demand... more of cars like the former will mean lower demand and pricing than cars like the latter. Also, the younger drivers today will fondly remember the cars they had and drove moreso than the ones they could not afford.

I think it will be very interesting to see what does become sought after from the 90's and 00's because I don't think it is going to be the cars typically touted as the future collector cars.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
cnnfn.com now has a gallery article with pics based on this list. The reply post pretty much echo the posts here and some of my personal thoughts.

One thing I did finally notice as a glaring omission on the list. The Nissan Leaf. It is likely to go down as the first of the new generation of electric cars *if* that technology finally takes hold this time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Actually, I think at some point the Evo and STI will be in demand as collector cars, but if that is your car in your avatar photo yours will probably not be one of them. The most sought after examples will be the cars that were left stock... and they will be hard to find because so many get modded and those that do not often wind up, over the years, being used as donor cars for parts to keep the modded cars running.

Some of the new 'muscle cars' will be collectible, too, but it won't be the ones you think. For example, the new Shelby Mustangs? I think only mildly more interest than a standard Mustang in the future. Why? Because they were billed from the showroom floor as instant collectibles or investments. The typical Shelby is owned by someone older who could never get an original and has just put the car in the garage, rarely driving it, hoping one day it will be worth a million dollars. Whereas the typical Evo or STI is flogged, modded, and enjoyed. Fast forward 15-20 years... there will be FAR more mint, unmodded, low mileage GT500s around than Evo's and STIs. Supply and demand... more of cars like the former will mean lower demand and pricing than cars like the latter. Also, the younger drivers today will fondly remember the cars they had and drove moreso than the ones they could not afford.

I think it will be very interesting to see what does become sought after from the 90's and 00's because I don't think it is going to be the cars typically touted as the future collector cars.
The avatar is of another evo because I didn't have a good pic of mine. I'm still in the same boat though since mine is completely built for drag racing so i'm screwed....haha.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I would have preferred that the GTR not make that shitty list

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.