Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]I have a question for those of you who have used M205 or Ultimate Polish. I kept the DA polisher at a low speed and only ran a few passes to prevent any heat build up. When I went to buff off the Ultimate Polish almost immediately afterwards, it was dry and hard to get off the paint. I had to rub pretty hard. If this was the first time I ever used it I would have pitched it away. But when I did the Raptor I had no problems cleaning it off. WTH?[/background]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]The Ultimate compound I used by hand to clean up the deck after removing the Nissan emblem came off easily. Then I got to wondering if it was the amount or the pad. I applied some to an area by hand and I was easily able to buff it off.[/background]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Why did it seem to dry down with the DA to the point that it was like cooked on wax? Too little on the pad? I primed it and then used 4 dots for each area like I've done with multiple other cars. The pad was cleaned last weekend with Dawn and was completely dry.[/background]

·
Registered
768 Posts
The compound is drying out before it is fully worked in. Spray 2 squirts of Deionized/distilled water on the face of the pad. Some people use detail spray instead of water. This makes the compound last longer and not dry out.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Perhaps I was a little too sparing with the polish on the white pad. I'm still trying to find the right balance.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have never had issues with my DA and 205. Like has been mentioned, I always prime my pads with detailer spray which does help.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you also prime the buffing pad with detailer spray or just the wax/sealant alone?

·
Registered
29 Posts
detail spay, or even a spray wax to help loosen the compound/polish/wax helps. But to help prevent that issue I switched to Menzerna products on chemical hexlogic pads, also got into the habit of changing, cleaning pads and buffing cloths frequently, and priming pads by embedding the compound/polish/wax to ensure the entire pad is primed properly, must better results than just priming the pad by spraying it with a detailer spray. It could just be the ambient temp that you are working in that caused the compound/wax to harden up. In my experience some waxes like griots are just difficult to remove.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
10% Isopropyl Alcohol mixed with 90% water in a spray bottle and wiped with a microfiber towel. This typically happens with M105, but M205 should come off with just a microfiber towel.

·
Make soap.
304 Posts
I would only use water to prime the pad. Look up buff daddy aka Kevin Brown as he is a mad scientist when it comes to detailing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts