Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new member here in FL.
I currently have a challenger hellcat widebody and getting ready for the last payment. It’s been a really fun car and raced it often till PBIR recently closed.

that being said, the GTR has always caught my eye. Hoping to get some feed back as to how the hellcat (stock) will compare to the GTR. I see lots of 2009’s for sale, are they decent or better off paying the xtra $$ for a 2012+? Also, is the COBB stage 2 a safe/reliable mod for the GTR’s? Not wanting to get to crazy when I get one.

-Matt

·
Registered
16 Posts
It all depends, I went with GT-R because it has everything plus mod friendly + AWD, if you never drove a GT-R go and test drive one. you will love it even more!
Where I live AWD is a must I don't drive in snow anymore, did that for one winter but in winter i do slap winter tires. And when it's dry I take the car out!

I own 2009 because I found amazing deal and I had to buy it! I'm second owner, car never been modified . I'm at 74k miles now! and the car been amazing!
FBO is pretty damn safe! maybe that's why it's super reliable :) Don't need more power, first thing I did as far mods, I did stage 2 Trans done by AMS. Super happy!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It all depends, I went with GT-R because it has everything plus mod friendly + AWD, if you never drove a GT-R go and test drive one. you will love it even more!
Where I live AWD is a must I don't drive in snow anymore, did that for one winter but in winter i do slap winter tires. And when it's dry I take the car out!

I own 2009 because I found amazing deal and I had to buy it! I'm second owner, car never been modified . I'm at 74k miles now! and the car been amazing!
FBO is pretty damn safe! maybe that's why it's super reliable :) Don't need more power, first thing I did as far mods, I did stage 2 Trans done by AMS. Super happy!
I got sticky’s for the cat but can’t daily those tires, the fl roads will eat’em up haha 😂. I have conts for daily but it still spins them at 50 if you get on it.

I love the AWD aspect of the GTR. I’ll Deff drag race it from time to time at the track. My biggest concern for the 2009-2010’s is the tranny. It’s pricey if that goes caboom 💣 lol. You mind if I PM you and pick your brain some?

·
Registered
2020 Bayside Blue
104 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Plenty of GTRs and support for them in SOFL. Go as new as you can. Some guys say the 13s are a great year but I don't know. I ended up with a 20 BSB. Good luck in your search.

Reactions: Flight canceled

·
Registered
10,192 Posts
I have / had both. Hellcat charger. Stock for stock if you could hook, even if you couldn’t you would roast an 09.

But what’s stock these days, bolt on to bolt on 9/10 times the R35 will beat the hellcat from a dig or rolling. They trap 135-138 depending on weight and tunes. Swap the turbos and they easily trap in the 40’s.

It’s much lighter than hellcats, even with drag radials are next to impossible to launch on the street with even a 1.6x 60’. R35 on 20’s and a good tune run 1.5x.

At the track, well who cares, there are plenty of faster cars at the track lol.

Hellcats are cheap to mod, pin the crank, upper and/or lower pulley and some injectors. GTRs are not.

Hellcats have a relatively bullet proof trans and engine to 1000hp. GTRs stock engines bend rods at FBO levels (600/600) and have trashed transmission at the same. Your looking at a $20k + hit to run a trans that can handle 1000hp but you’ll also trap 150s+. The transmissions in 09 weren’t weak the software was - allowed for as many launches in a row you wanted with no cool down. Only PCars are built to handle that. Heat up the trans fluid in any car and keep beating on it and it will break. Following the TSB’s will help and if it’s hot don’t beat on it - common sense.

If I haven’t scared you off, you also can’t do rolling burnouts and plenty of people hate and rage on the Nissan. The hellcats, trucks get out of your lane and give you a thumbs up - they roll coal on the Nissan. LMFAO well they tray anyways.

The hellcat has the best and easiest to use infotainment in the industry IMHO. I like it more than BMW/Mercedes, plain and simple - it just works. And the HK stereo has massive amounts of bass and great imaging for the car. R35, even if you upgrade everything, it still sucks imho.

Fit and finish, Nissan has the edge. Atleast on the red eye you have the updated dash. Previous years were trash with the rubber one.

Hellcats you can steal in 30 seconds without even trying hard - R35’s you have to flat bed. Mine was stolen last year.

Common sense says the Mmajority of what I wrote should steer you towards the Hellcat. If you can have both, get both.

If you could only have one. I’d say 1000-1200hp GTR but then you are in for different headaches as well. These things don’t even really show their strength until then. Can dead hook on the street with 1000hp. Even with VHT and slicks aren’t doing that in a HC.

If your leaving it stock, keep the hellcat.

For a little background - I’ve had atleast 1000+ hp in my R35 for last 9+ years. The hellcat I kept stock, cause frankly on MTs it had enough power

Ps. That’s sad about PBIR. I didn’t even about it. Why did they close ?

Reactions: Flight canceled

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have / had both. Hellcat charger. Stock for stock if you could hook, even if you couldn’t you would roast an 09.

But what’s stock these days, bolt on to bolt on 9/10 times the R35 will beat the hellcat from a dig or rolling. They trap 135-138 depending on weight and tunes. Swap the turbos and they easily trap in the 40’s.

It’s much lighter than hellcats, even with drag radials are next to impossible to launch on the street with even a 1.6x 60’. R35 on 20’s and a good tune run 1.5x.

At the track, well who cares, there are plenty of faster cars at the track lol.

Hellcats are cheap to mod, pin the crank, upper and/or lower pulley and some injectors. GTRs are not.

Hellcats have a relatively bullet proof trans and engine to 1000hp. GTRs stock engines bend rods at FBO levels (600/600) and have trashed transmission at the same. Your looking at a $20k + hit to run a trans that can handle 1000hp but you’ll also trap 150s+. The transmissions in 09 weren’t weak the software was - allowed for as many launches in a row you wanted with no cool down. Only PCars are built to handle that. Heat up the trans fluid in any car and keep beating on it and it will break. Following the TSB’s will help and if it’s hot don’t beat on it - common sense.

If I haven’t scared you off, you also can’t do rolling burnouts and plenty of people hate and rage on the Nissan. The hellcats, trucks get out of your lane and give you a thumbs up - they roll coal on the Nissan. LMFAO well they tray anyways.

The hellcat has the best and easiest to use infotainment in the industry IMHO. I like it more than BMW/Mercedes, plain and simple - it just works. And the HK stereo has massive amounts of bass and great imaging for the car. R35, even if you upgrade everything, it still sucks imho.

Fit and finish, Nissan has the edge. Atleast on the red eye you have the updated dash. Previous years were trash with the rubber one.

Hellcats you can steal in 30 seconds without even trying hard - R35’s you have to flat bed. Mine was stolen last year.

Common sense says the Mmajority of what I wrote should steer you towards the Hellcat. If you can have both, get both.

If you could only have one. I’d say 1000-1200hp GTR but then you are in for different headaches as well. These things don’t even really show their strength until then. Can dead hook on the street with 1000hp. Even with VHT and slicks aren’t doing that in a HC.

If your leaving it stock, keep the hellcat.

For a little background - I’ve had atleast 1000+ hp in my R35 for last 9+ years. The hellcat I kept stock, cause frankly on MTs it had enough power

Ps. That’s sad about PBIR. I didn’t even about it. Why did they close ?
Ty for all the info. I love my hellcat and has been a good time. Ppl Deff get outta the way quick lol. That’s wild the trucks try to roll coal on the Nissan lol 😂.

I’d like to get a red eye charger but man they want more than msrp for a used one. Crazy times when a dodge costs more than a gtr lol.

my challenger has the HK system and that thing will rattle your eye balls. I had a charger scat before the cat and was looking to try a different platform. I like R8’s but unfortunately my pocket book don’t 🤪😂.

if I end up getting a gtr. Im just gonna do the intake/exhaust/tune. Closest track to me is either Orlando or Bradenton ( 3 hrs away) and I don’t do street racing, ole Johnny law don’t like that haha.

·
Registered
10,192 Posts
That’s awesome - had a scat pack too, got it from Steve White Motors in Hickory when they let dealers do a 40% off on two cars a month back in 17 iirc.

31.5k before taxes la fully loaded SP Charger. Ton of fun. HK system was the first ever I actually turned bass down in.

Market on used SP/HC is almost as bad as GTRs. Guys with clean low mileage 09 GTRs are selling them for what they got them for 14 years ago.

I’d atleast do intakes, injectors, downpipes and run some ethanol. You’ll probably want atleast a MP if you are used to the HC exhaust. Stock GTRs are fairly quiet - not as bad as a Prius but pretty close.

Difference is the R35 is super safe at speed, never have to worry about coming around as long as you leave the factory wing on.

Again good luck and once you find a car get a PMI done at a reputable shop.

Almost forgot, don’t be too afraid of the transmission. To build them back to better than stock / Shep Trans charges like $3k these days and usually has the parts in stock for a stage I. Only problem is the line out the door with all the guys building bigger ones and the downtime can stretch on.

·
Alberta Oil & Gas
6,011 Posts
Moved to the Newbie forum

Reactions: droptopp

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
If you get the GTR, be aware that COBB is changing their software due to EPA compliance issues. There is a thread on this forum about that. Depending on the state you live in will dictate the smog requirements you would have to need. Ecutek may be a better way to go for now.

Good luck on whatever you choose. I like the GTR for the stability with the AWD. And it is just a fun car to drive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you get the GTR, be aware that COBB is changing their software due to EPA compliance issues. There is a thread on this forum about that. Depending on the state you live in will dictate the smog requirements you would have to need. Ecutek may be a better way to go for now.

Good luck on whatever you choose. I like the GTR for the stability with the AWD. And it is just a fun car to drive.
yeah, I read that a few places. Thankfully I live in the great state of FL where anything goes haha. Can pretty much run open exhaust here, no smog inspections. 09-10’s is the year I’ll prob get. 2012’s+ are stupid $$.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts