Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, names Turk and I live in Fayetteville, AR. I have always been interested in GTRs but most of the time wasn't able to afford it (shocking isn't it :p). But now that I can afford one... I was actually a down payment and a signature away from getting a '09 with 22k miles on it for 62k. The reason why I wanted to go with a used one was due to straight taking it to Cobb tuning and modding it (yea i have the mod bug). After a few discussions with a particular friend, I decided to wait for the '12 GTR (as the changes on it compared to previous ones are godly) to drop down to low-mid 70s (preferably BE and the only reason for BE is the recaros in it... If I don't end up with a BE I will just replace the rims and the seats with recaros...i love recaros) and pull the trigger on one.

The matter of waiting for a used GTR as my idea being: Most likely not as abused by the owner as another car (ei: evo/sti/civics etc...) as well as I know how the warranty works on these types (i drive an evo x mr touring), the slightest change to the car = voided warranty and the long ass legal battle begins with the manufacturer... So getting a used one (possible 2 year old) only lets me wait for 1 year for the warranty to run out to start the modding. When I talk about modding, it is not going and getting an AMS Alpha 9/10/12 package on it... I mean modding by making steady, solid power to the wheels while keeping the reliability. If there would be an argument of "you throw out the reliability of a car when you mod it", I won't be responding to it as I have proven that fact it is NOT ruining the reliability of it with my evo...

Anyhow, I just wanted to introduce myself and to let you guys know I will be browsing the threads quietly without responding much as I still have A LOT to learn about this one
I browsed 2 different evo forums for about a year before I pulled the trigger on it. Forums help
Especially ones with good community sensed ones.

~Turk

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
I think waiting for a 2012 to drop into the $70's is going to take a long time.

There are some '09's still going for that.

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
Hey Turk, Welcome to the site. Hope you enjoy it here. It's a great group of people.

·
Registered
75 Posts
^^ Thanks Kim
Love the FP products for the evo, perhaps I will be come addicted to them for the GTR as well
There are some 70s going for that sure but also they go for low 60s. I would give it 2 years max, might not even wait for one who knows
I just want to finish up my stage 3 on the evo and enjoy it then I will make the switch.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
... When I talk about modding, it is not going and getting an AMS Alpha 9/10/12 package on it... I mean modding by making steady, solid power to the wheels while keeping the reliability.
After thinking about this... I don't understand. Are you suggesting that the AMS packages (or AAM, SPI, SPE, BL, etc...) do not provide steady, solid power to the wheels?

I've never driven a car so confident in my life. When modded, the streetability is still 100%. All of the power can be applied to the ground almost all the time (unless you REALLY go out of your way to mess that up).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After thinking about this... I don't understand. Are you suggesting that the AMS packages (or AAM, SPI, SPE, BL, etc...) do not provide steady, solid power to the wheels?

I've never driven a car so confident in my life. When modded, the streetability is still 100%. All of the power can be applied to the ground almost all the time (unless you REALLY go out of your way to mess that up).
What I meant is the reliability of the car staying or going out the window after modding. With GTR my knowledge is very limited as I do not own one and no matter how much you read actually owning one is when you start learning. For example, if you put down 700 (500 is cap off if you ask me) on an EVO the reliability goes out the window for DD, things will eventually start breaking you know.

Keep in mind my gtr knowledge (pretty low I'd say)... '12 gtr with only Y pipe + AP (protune) you will end up putting down 530 whp/wtq (perhaps more...) right? Now think about putting in FMIC with L+U pipes, CAI, DP + exhaust system ok now you are most likely either at or broke 600 whp/wtq, now you need to think about the safety of the car and start upgrading your clutches and get better coolers (tranny/oil etc) for it. From this point on, how much more can you put on and never have to worry about anything just like in bone stock (assuming bone stock is 100% reliable)? Could you start going with throttle bodies/injectors/new turbos and still keep reliability? What I assumed (most likely very wrong to do) is to know the "break point" for modding a gtr to the DD limit was around 650whp/wtq which I might be wrong and I am terribly sorry for that. For me, all know is the modding of an evo and see if modding the gtr is similar... at least when it comes to still being a DD.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
What I meant is the reliability of the car staying or going out the window after modding. With GTR my knowledge is very limited as I do not own one and no matter how much you read actually owning one is when you start learning. For example, if you put down 700 (500 is cap off if you ask me) on an EVO the reliability goes out the window for DD, things will eventually start breaking you know.

Keep in mind my gtr knowledge (pretty low I'd say)... '12 gtr with only Y pipe + AP (protune) you will end up putting down 530 whp/wtq (perhaps more...) right? Now think about putting in FMIC with L+U pipes, CAI, DP + exhaust system ok now you are most likely either at or broke 600 whp/wtq, now you need to think about the safety of the car and start upgrading your clutches and get better coolers (tranny/oil etc) for it. From this point on, how much more can you put on and never have to worry about anything just like in bone stock (assuming bone stock is 100% reliable)? Could you start going with throttle bodies/injectors/new turbos and still keep reliability? What I assumed (most likely very wrong to do) is to know the "break point" for modding a gtr to the DD limit was around 650whp/wtq which I might be wrong and I am terribly sorry for that. For me, all know is the modding of an evo and see if modding the gtr is similar... at least when it comes to still being a DD.
I'd say your initial knowledge is better than most here.

You've got the right idea, and so do the tuners who put those packages together. They are quite complete, with the transmission upgrades as needed. Good luck with your GT-R when you get it.

·
NAGTROC design team
2,827 Posts
Welcome to the forum TR6.

I'm in Fayetteville, AR as well. I'm not an owner either, but just a long-time enthusiast.

Let me know when you come in possession of your car. I'd love to have the opportunity to take some good photos of it in various locations. I'm not super familiar with the Fayetteville area, so I would need some input on where to go for a shoot. I know there are great spots nearby...I just haven't had the opportunity to get out and about to find them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the forum TR6.

I'm in Fayetteville, AR as well. I'm not an owner either, but just a long-time enthusiast.

Let me know when you come in possession of your car. I'd love to have the opportunity to take some good photos of it in various locations. I'm not super familiar with the Fayetteville area, so I would need some input on where to go for a shoot. I know there are great spots nearby...I just haven't had the opportunity to get out and about to find them.
Surely will, pm sent fyi.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.