Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very mechanically inclined but wanted to get your comments/suggestions before I begin my first GTR Mid Pipe install. (AAM Non_Res)

1) What's the proper method to jack the car up? I have a decent hydraulic jack and two jack stands. Where are the jacking points? I think I may need some wood to raise car first before jack will fit.

2) What tools are needed? (I have a full tool set but wanted to set the proper tools aside before I begin) I also have an impact wrench

3) Should I use/buy copper gasket sealant?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,960 Posts
You will need the wood to raise the car ito get your jack under the car. You will need to remove the last front panel. You will not need gasket sealer.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
depends on your jack. i have two low rise jacks (craftsman and harbor freight) and they fit under the car just fine at stock height. jack points should be in the manual and are pretty obvious when you look under the car. no panels need to come off for a midpipe install. i just swapped my gtm midpipe for a cobb yesterday. i prefer to drive up on ramps though. i have the 3 piece race ramps. spendy but totally worth the money imo. i use them a lot.

only 6 bolts to deal with. i think all the stock hardware is 14mm. you might need deep sockets and extensions (6"). it will probably take you more time to get the car lifted than the actual midpipe install will take. it's a very easy job. re use stock gaskets or if your midpipe came with new ones you can use those.

·
Registered
463 Posts
i had my 2012 into a nissan dealer last week for an oil change, they are not an authorized GTR dealer, but do have a master tech, that was going to do the oil change. after 15 minutes of trying to figure out how to lift the car, they decided it was not worth messing it up, so they declined to do the oil change, bottom line becareful lifting the car.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
i had my 2012 into a nissan dealer last week for an oil change, they are not an authorized GTR dealer, but do have a master tech, that was going to do the oil change. after 15 minutes of trying to figure out how to lift the car, they decided it was not worth messing it up, so they declined to do the oil change, bottom line becareful lifting the car.
did they not have a lift? how can a nissan dealer not be able to figure how to lift a car?!

·
Registered
463 Posts
did they not have a lift? how can a nissan dealer not be able to figure how to lift a car?!
apparently the lift would adjust to the right postion, after watching them for 15 minutes i was actually happy not to do the oil change. would hate to have them try to figure out how to take off the oil filter, lol.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
apparently the lift would adjust to the right postion, after watching them for 15 minutes i was actually happy not to do the oil change. would hate to have them try to figure out how to take off the oil filter, lol.
agreed. and reasons like this are why i do all my own work & maintenance ;)

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the comments. I don't think my jack will work at stock height so I may end up making a makeshift ramp off of some pieces of wood (2x6 maybe?).

I guess the last step will be to check for exhaust gas leaks. Is it ok to have the GTR running while the two front wheels are airborne? I can see no other way of checking for leaks while the car is running without having the font raised up.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Reverse Logic offers two-stage incline and progressive incline versions of Race Ramps. These "custom" models obviate the need for the third piece "XTender". The two-stage incline ramps are also less expensive than the combination of standard Race Ramps and XTenders.

I have the 3 piece race ramps. spendy but totally worth the money imo. i use them a lot.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reverse Logic offers two-stage incline and progressive incline versions of Race Ramps. These "custom" models obviate the need for the third piece "XTender". The two-stage incline ramps are also less expensive than the combination of standard Race Ramps and XTenders.
Thanks for the info! It's more than I want to spend to lift my car up off the ground at this time.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
To the people asking about how a Nissan dealer couldn't figure out how to lift the car. I was told and have seen that the reason there are authorized dealers is because the lifts require a special arm that is not as tall as the standard lift. So if they are not a GTR dealer most likely they didn't have that lift. Since my dealership only has one and they don't reserve it for GTR's only they often us the "pit" to change my oil since it is easier and less chance of problems.

Ryan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.