Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 GTR that is a weekend driver and has around 19,800 miles. The fuel gauge light went out and after reading forums, this is a common issue and Nissan has been replacing. Apparently, I have exceeded the time quotient of my warranty and service department at local dealer told me it would cost around $1800 to repair. They agreed with me that it was BS and referred me to 800-Nissan1 number. I called and got routed to the GTR department and was assigned to a ''Customer Advocate''. He took all my information including fact that car has had all recommended servicing and stated he would look into it. He called service center and was told they recommended Nissan cover it.... actually, he tried to call once and then after several days of me calling him back and even the rep at the service center calling him back, I finally was able to reach him by calling the main number and getting connected to a rep that was sitting beside him and had him call me back. It is now 1.5 weeks later with my car still at dealership and after calling him twice this morning, finally reached him and he told me nissan would graciously cover $1000.00 of the part and that the dealership was going to give me a discount off the labor. I expressed my frustration that I was essentially being levied an $800-900 tax for not driving my car enough to have this well-known problem manifest before warranty ran out. He denied that this was a known problem and kept telling me this has never been a recall nor service bulletin and any other GTR repairs were ''confidential'' so he could not consider them. He also told me he was essentially where the buck stopped so there was no one I could appeal this to.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me at this point to try and get them to cover a known defective part?

·
R35 Owner
391 Posts
Dude, get it out of there and just live without the light.

·
R35 member
3,086 Posts
Theres a light? I always just check the estimated mileage remaining. Never even knew there was a light.

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using GT-R Life mobile app

·
stemal
251 Posts
look on this forum there is a guy fixing them for a few hundred bucks, he can even change the colors of the led's!!!
I'll search for you and get back with a link...

·
Make soap.
304 Posts

·
stemal
251 Posts

·
stemal
251 Posts

·
Registered
9,696 Posts
2011 is definitely still under warranty. It was extended to 6 years unlimited miles.

Google search and find the original letter stating this.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is a problem because this is the first 1 to go out and then they all go out eventually.

thanks for the heads up about the extended warranty. I found this document for anyone else that finds themself in this situation. I sent an email to the VP for communications at Nissan North America before I found this. I called the number at bottom and got hooked back up with the same guy I dealt with before who told me the email I sent to the VP got forwarded to him. I asked about this document and he denied it existed, then told me it didn't apply to my VIN (although the 5 digit VIN prefix at bottom of document exactly matches mine) then he stated he would look for the document and see if it applied to my car. I tried to give him the bulletin number and he stated he didn't need it. I asked are you sure since you apparently couldn't find it the first time you spent 1.5 weeks ''researching'' this issue. He told me in his first ''research'' he didn't look in that stack. Let y'all know what becomes of his new ''research''.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Too bad the dealer you talked to didn't know squat. I'm having to have my cluster replaced also and my car is a 2010 - my dealer knew about the warranty extension and I just had to schedule an appointment to do the replacement. No hassle at all.

·
Registered
768 Posts
How far are you from Vaden Nissan in Savannah? I bought my GT-R from them and they were great. Had 5 GT-R's in for service when I was there and their Tech was very knowledgeable. Sounds like your dealer doesn't have much GT-R experience. Guy on the tech line is a moron as well....

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
different dealer bro. My 09 had this problem and it was replaced under the extended warranty.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
My 09 had this problem. It was replaced under warranty.
Please tell us the dealer name so others in your area can be aware of ignorance.

·
Registered
9,696 Posts
It's a safety issue. Make enough noise and they will replace it. Good luck.

·
Registered
129 Posts
pretty shoddy treatment by the hotline. a steel toed boot in the ass on the way out the door is what the rep you are having to deal with deserves...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dick Smith Nissan in Columbia, SC. The dealership service guy is completely sympathetic with me about it and argued with the ''customer advocate'' about it. I have not showed him the above document yet. Plan to swing by the dealership tomorrow and show them to see if they will just go ahead and do it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also, the ''advocate'' promised to call me back yesterday with the results of his new research but never did. I would like to be able to email the North American Nissan CEO about this but can only find the address for the communications department VP (who just forwarded my last email back to the same jackoff advocate).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2009 and I searched for and found the exact letter included on this thread. I just printed it out and took it to my dealer here in Pa. and they did it under warranty late last year. if you don't get it fixed, pretty soon almost all of your lights will go out and it will become a safety issue.

There was no hassle, no issue... even though they know my car is running tuned with a cobb access port. Thy key is having this letter and a good relationship with your dealer. They just don't deal often enough with GT-R owners to ever be trusted to do the right thing on their own. You have to go in prepared each and every time.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
I have a 2009 and I searched for and found the exact letter included on this thread. I just printed it out and took it to my dealer here in Pa. and they did it under warranty late last year. if you don't get it fixed, pretty soon almost all of your lights will go out and it will become a safety issue.

There was no hassle, no issue... even though they know my car is running tuned with a cobb access port. Thy key is having this letter and a good relationship with your dealer. They just don't deal often enough with GT-R owners to ever be trusted to do the right thing on their own. You have to go in prepared each and every time.
Add me to that list -- had mine done under warranty around this time last year... like others have said, just take the letter that sweyant posted and you'll be fine.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts