Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finished the intercooler install. I shut the hood and now one side will not release. I must need to realign lock.

BUT NOW, HOW DO I OPEN THE HOOD!!!

·
Banned
616 Posts
Sounds like you pinched one of the cable lines when you reinstalled the shroud over the radiator. (I've been there.)

You should be able to pop the latch open with a long straight rod through the front grill... you can remove the grill from the outside of the car with a few picks and prying gently on the tabs...
Weapons Grade knowledge for ya!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you pinched one of the cable lines when you reinstalled the shroud over the radiator. (I've been there.)

You should be able to pop the latch open with a long straight rod through the front grill... you can remove the grill from the outside of the car with a few picks and prying gently on the tabs...
what do you mean by picks?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't figure how to remove the grill, but I can put a straight piece of metal in the grill and I can see the latch, but I do not see what to push.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I got the grill out. I just need to know where to push on the mech

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't get it open

·
Registered
577 Posts
Well I finished the intercooler install. I shut the hood and now one side will not release. I must need to realign lock.

BUT NOW, HOW DO I OPEN THE HOOD!!!
Short answer- God Speed, you are in for a terrible time. The cable has likely come off.

Long answer- You can't just pry on it as suggested. The actual locking mechanism has major anti-thefts built into it.

If you get the grill off (you will see the tabs, those just need to be pushed back with plastic or Popsicle sticks, at least you get a treat if you choose this method)

Once off, you will see these for your latches-

Access which one is not releasing, drivers or passenger side- the release is on the right side of the latch(when looking forward) These pictures show roughly where it is

What you are trying to flip is this small release lever pointed to-

You can do this if you have really small arms and hands, otherwise something very strong but small will be required. I wish I had more advise, but we have not had to deal with this as we make sure to test every latch before closing the hood on a intercooler install. Good luck, and let us know if we can help anyway.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I finally got the hood open. I had to use a long screw driver with a hammer and forced the lock open. Now I had to order a new lock.

Is there anyway to replace the latch without pulling the bumper?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry for revive this old thread but this shit happened to me as well. I was able to remove the grille but I couldn't unlock the latch. I used long 3/8" extension and hammered it but nothing happen.

Please help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had this happen to me. Cable came off and i diddnt notice. What an absolute headache. Was the left side if sitting in it. Had to cut the loop on bonnet with reciprocator and hacksaw blade taped to end. Went in over the mesh once pushed in thanks for the advice! I recon theres a chance a rod with 40mm or so pin might be able to flick the latch. Its not the latch itself its the latch lock that needs pushed up and is in the middle of the left side if looking at it. Worth a poke around. I was tempted to go in from the top with grinder tbh and go carbon but glad i cut the latch. Welded it back up and still works like new!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts